Priceline Hotel: August 30 - Sept 3, 2012 Bidding advice

laurel108
By laurel108,
in

Hi there,

I would like to bid on a hotel or hotels for the period of August 30th to September 3rd.

A few questions.

Should I wait till closer to the date? Am I ok to try on the weekend?

Will my only cheaper options be the financial district?

I am really hoping to not go over $150 - is this completely impossible?

Should I divide the dates to get better options/prices? What would be the best strategy?

I am open to different areas. Preferable 4* or 3.5*. I like the Soho district, Chelsea and will even try central park and midtown.

I'm not too keen on financial district - but have gotten a pretty good deal there before on priceline.

Any help is appreciated. A concrete strategy would be supported. I need review the re-bid zones.

Please follow-up your previous Priceline NYC thread with whatever you ended up doing for that leg of your trip, as well as your more recent New York City Priceline thread... then click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links and reply to this thread, we'll have a look at and comment on your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the moment i think that $150 may be tough, but if you want to give it a try, did you want to first try for a 4* hotel up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this trip?

At whatever level you'd like to start with, let us know the zones, by PRICELINE name, that you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...did you want to first try for a 4* hotel up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this trip?

???

At whatever level you'd like to start with, let us know the zones, by PRICELINE name, that you're willing to accept...

???

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I would like to start with 4*.

I am willing to be in the following zones:

Soho-Tribeca

Central Park South

Midtown West

Chelsea

ESB

MSG

Midtown West

My max is $160 (without taxes)but hoping for $150 if possible.

I am starting for August 30 - Sept 1 as I may have a room elsewhere for the latter two days.

Your advice is appreciated.

I would like to start with 4*.

I am willing to be in the following zones:

Soho-Tribeca

Central Park South

Midtown West

Chelsea

ESB

MSG

Midtown West

There are no 4* hotels offered in the MSG zone so we won't include that in the bidding.

Also, you've included MTW twice... should one of these be MTE?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Leaving out MSG is fine and just MTE - not MTW.

So MTW is not acceptable at all now?

To confirm, you want to bid 4*:

Soho-Tribeca

Central Park South

Midtown East

Chelsea

ESB

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Rates for these dates are down in the last few days and i would bid as follows:

At the 4* level in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, ESB, Chelsea, Soho...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, ESB, Chelsea, Soho, CPS...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry I didn't hear back from you so I have held a room for that time that is cancelable - but will try this strategy.

My September 1 - 3 has now fell through. That's what I most need.

I am hoping to be in the Soho area. I have noticed rates have gone up for the Saturday and Sunday - is this correct.

Would $160 max be ok with the 7 rebid zones for the this time period?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I started a new post, since my plans have changed a bit while waiting for bidding advice.

I need a hotel in Manhattan during Sept 1 -3.

I most likely will already be staying in Soho, so would prefer to stay in the same area. That being said, if my budget is too low and another zone is more acceptable, I would take it.

$160 max - is this reasonable or too low for that weekend?

Soho-Tribeca - 1st choice.

Would consider other zones if they are more "doable".

Please advise. I am aware of the 7 rebid zones for Soho. I tried last night ending at $160 and did not get it. Should I continue to try or do I need a new strategy?

Is Financial District more "doable" with my budget? Or CPS, ESB? Or none of these are realistic with my budget?

I understand a lot of hotels are booked up right now for the cheaper rooms - is there a lot of new rooms that become available one week in advance (people cancelling etc.).

Thank you in advance!

There was a 4* hotel with lower rates when i posted the strategy above, but it has since gone back up.

My September 1 - 3 has now fell through. That's what I most need.

I don't understand... you originally were looking for a hotel room for 8/30-9/3, did you have alternate accommodations that were you waiting on for part of this stay that are now confirmed as not possible? Do you have possible alternate plans for 8/30-9/1 that you're waiting to confirm? It would seem to make more sense if you were originally only bidding 8/30-9/1 but now need 8/30-9/3 as your 9/1-9/3 plans fell thru, but as posted i'm not following the logic.

I am hoping to be in the Soho area.

Are you willing to pay more to stay in this zone vs. any of the other FIVE zones you'd indicated that you are willing to accept?

Would $160 max be ok with the 7 rebid zones for the this time period?

I'm not sure which dates you're referring to (or which zones you're now willing to bid... all FIVE as previously indicated or only Soho??

I also noticed you have CPS at a lower rate in your strategy.

I don't think i do... it's the same bid amounts that are suggested in the previous four zones, only the CPS bids are placed after the first bidding cycle... this is actually because there is a very low chance of acceptance of a 4* hotel in this zone at the prices posted.

There was a 4* hotel with lower rates when i posted the strategy above, but it has since gone back up.

I don't understand... you originally were looking for a hotel room for 8/30-9/3, did you have alternate accommodations that were you waiting on for part of this stay that are now confirmed as not possible? Do you have possible alternate plans for 8/30-9/1 that you're waiting to confirm? It would seem to make more sense if you were originally only bidding 8/30-9/1 but now need 8/30-9/3 as your 9/1-9/3 plans fell thru, but as posted i'm not following the logic.

I AM ONLY LOOKING FOR SEPTEMBER 1 - SEPTEMBER 3 NOW - AS NOTED AND IN A DIFFERENT POST.
Are you willing to pay more to stay in this zone vs. any of the other FIVE zones you'd indicated that you are willing to accept?
NOT BY TOO MUCH. 170 TOPS FOR SOHO. IF THIS IS UNREASONABLE I AM OPEN TO OTHER ZONES IN MANHATTAN. MTE, ESB, CPS. WHAT ZONES COULD I GET FOR $160 OR UNDER? I AM HAPPEN TO GET A STRATEGY WITH JUST SOHO AND THEN THESE OTHER ZONES I HAVE ABOVE.

I'm not sure which dates you're referring to (or which zones you're now willing to bid... all FIVE as previously indicated or only Soho??

SEE ABOVE

I don't think i do... it's the same bid amounts that are suggested in the previous four zones, only the CPS bids are placed after the first bidding cycle... this is actually because there is a very low chance of acceptance of a 4* hotel in this zone at the prices posted.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND - JUST WOULD LIKE HELP WITH $160 - $170 TOPS, STARTING WITH SOHO. THEN WILL TRY OTHER ZONES. 4* FOR NOW, WANT TO BE CLOSE TO SUBWAY.

THANK YOU!!!

I started a new post, since my plans have changed a bit while waiting for bidding advice.

Please keep all posts for this trip in this same thread.
I most likely will already be staying in Soho, so would prefer to stay in the same area. That being said, if my budget is too low and another zone is more acceptable, I would take it.

$160 max - is this reasonable or too low for that weekend?

I am aware of the 7 rebid zones for Soho. I tried last night ending at $160 and did not get it. Should I continue to try or do I need a new strategy?

Obviously at this point in time $160 is not enough for a 4* hotel in Soho... you can choose to:

1) wait it out and hope for lower rates in the next few days

2) lower your star rating for Soho

3) try for a 4* hotel in the alternate zones.

I understand a lot of hotels are booked up right now for the cheaper rooms - is there a lot of new rooms that become available one week in advance (people cancelling etc.).
There is no way to know if rates will come down over the next week, or move even higher... see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ for more on this topic.

Based upon the three choices above do you prefer to wait it out and try $160 again, lower your star rating for Soho, or try for a 4* in other zones? Please confirm which other zone(s) are acceptable.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Hi there,

To be clear.

If 160 is not enough.

I am willing to go to 170. If Soho is a no go (which you are saying). I will try the other zones I have mentioned that you just responded to...please provide strategy and zones I have chosen, including what might be the cheaper zone...

I am assuming I include Soho in the mix anyway - just for fun.

Using your SEVEN re-bid zones, 24 hours after your last rejected bid, try:

Select 4* Soho...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

If the above is rejected, which are the other zones you're willing to accept?

Good luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]