Priceline Hotel: 5 star in Maui??

Bassplayer79
By Bassplayer79,
in

The very first post in this area is a list of hotels members have reported getting from Priceline bidding. Priceline currently doesn't offer 5* bidding for Maui. The highest available is Resort, which can be considered 4.5*. There are number of those listed.

To give you a very general idea, for your dates Hotwire has two 4* offerings - $168 and $269. They didn't have any Resort or 5*s just now.

Alternatively, you could check the Calendar of Wins under Tools. It will show successful bids for each date.

There are 4 Priceline zones on Maui. Are you interested in all of them, or only some? Do you have a specific budget in mind? If you'd like help bidding, perhaps you could post back with this information?

Romelle

Thanks so much for the response. We are interested in the Kaanapali/Lahina Region. We would like to spend under 200 per night and are going from aug 15 to 20th. I've stayed at the Hyatt reg in Maui before and loved it and see that many ppl here wo have named their own price in that area have won a room there. If I am interested in the Hyatt in Maui should I choose 4 star or resort. Also, do you know what other hotels we might get matched with if not the Hyatt for our budget and that area?

Lastly, given the info I've provided, am I better off giving a bid down around 150 (I've seen some ppl recently get the Hyatt or similf with bids around here) or should I bid closer to 200 to get a better chance of getting matched to the hotel I interested in. Thanks

When you bid a specific star level and zone, you have to be willing to accept any hotel at that star level or higher within the zone map. There is no way to target a specific hotel and higher bids can just mean overpaying. Priceline can choose to upgrade.

There are several reports in that Calendar of WIns for your dates. You'll find it informative.

I'm not sure whether the Hyatt is a Resort or 4*. You can tell from that first post in this area I mentioned - The List of Hotels. And you can also see the other hotels members have reported here. Of course, it is always possible for one to get a hotel as yet unreported. It has happened to me several times in other cities.

Star ratings also change from time to time. You can take a look at the retail side of Priceline to see how hotels are rated.

Romelle

At the Resort level, you've also got a couple of free rebids. If you aren't familiar with this concept, it is discussed in the FAQs. Essentially, it involves using zones in which there is no offering at the star level (or higher) one is bidding to get some extra bids in. With the short period of time you have, I think you'll need to be employing this technique.

FYI - I'm a member, not a moderator, but thought I'd try to get you started since your time is short.

Romelle

Thanks again for the info. Very helpful. Just 2 more quick questions. Do you have any idea how busy the hotels will be this time of year. I know this isn't exactly their peak season, but m wondering what sort of occupancy I should expect when we are there. Along those same lines, assuming there are a good number of available rooms, what are our chances of beng upgraded to a nicer room or perhaps just one with an ocean view and what would be the best way of going about getting this upgrade. Thanks again

I don't have any solid statistics on occupancy rates. One can sort of tell by the rates, and the August rates aren't particularly high. I've seen numbers in the 70-80% range, but I'm not sure of their reliability.

A Priceline bid entitles one to a basic room.

Regarding getting an upgrade, there are various techniques. Being a member of the chain club can work. Simply asking at the desk, and paying the differential can work. Interestingly enough, simply being very polite can work. Sometimes one just gets lucky.

Particularly in Las Vegas, people swear by the folded $20 bill. I have a lot of trouble with this idea because the money goes to the clerk, not the property owners who have invested their money and assumed the risk. Some hotels have a policy against workers accepting such bribes, and the worker's job may be at risk for doing so. It just seems like a first step on a slippery slope towards a corrupt country. .... Getting off soapbox now.....

Romelle

Bassplayer79,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links... then reply to this thread and we'll continue the discussion for your trip above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Regarding getting an upgrade, there are various techniques. Being a member of the chain club can work. Simply asking at the desk, and paying the differential can work. Interestingly enough, simply being very polite can work. Sometimes one just gets lucky.

Particularly in Las Vegas, people swear by the folded $20 bill. I have a lot of trouble with this idea because the money goes to the clerk, not the property owners who have invested their money and assumed the risk. Some hotels have a policy against workers accepting such bribes, and the worker's job may be at risk for doing so. It just seems like a first step on a slippery slope towards a corrupt country. .... Getting off soapbox now.....

There are only two 5*s on Maui, the Four Seasons probably wont upgrade you and I think they are probably close to full in August. The Ritz oftens upgrades as they are often sub 80% full- each time Ive gone Ive been upgraded even at peak season

anywayss...why Im posting. My last visit to Hawaii(another island 4*) upon checking in the clerk kept his left hand extended fidgiting with his pen as he checked the computer to see what rooms were available. After 2 minutes he stopped and gave me what room category I booked. Ive been upgraded so often for nothing, I missed my chance for the $20 upgrade

while I cant prove thats what he wanted ...Im guessing we are on that slippery slope

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]