Priceline Hotel: San Diego Bidding help

nzpod
By nzpod,
in

Hi,

Again new to the board but coming to the US for Xmas and am travelling around Cali.

I need a room in SD from 5th january 2013 to 10th Jan 2013

4* or 5*. One king room. Was hoping for free parking and wifi.

The areas I was hoping for were Coronado and Downtown SD and Harbor Island.

What is my best bidding strategy?

Thanks for your help! And I have clicked on the links to Priceline form your site :-)

We have links to the Best Western in our Support Page... please check for and use the links there for your hotel direct purchases whenever possible.

What is your maximum bid for this leg of your trip? Are you willing to pay more for a 5* vs. a 4* OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better? Note that you can't designate room type/King bed with PRICELINE... but the room is guaranteed to accommodate double occupancy.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Currently there are no Resort rated hotels in the San Diego region.

Do note that if you're looking for a 'Resort' type of property, the Downtown zone does contain some 4* hotels which are by the airport and not what most consider to be 'downtown'... just want to make sure that this is acceptable. (if not, you may want to have a look at HOTWIRE which divides this zone into smaller bits, and you can look for hotels within your budget in the 'Gaslamp Quarter' zones.

If the PRICELINE zones of Downtown and Coronado are both acceptable, when bidding 4* in this area you have 14 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Coronado...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Downtown and Coronado...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As you're probably aware with PRICELINE getting free parking/wifi is hit and miss. My experience with San Diego is that many of the nicer hotels in downtown charge for parking. While hotels in Coronado, such as Hotel Del Coronado, may offer free parking they also carry a huge pricetag. I think your best strategy is to determine if you really need wifi/parking because those two together could cost $30-40/night (such as at the Hyatt) and factor in those costs into your bid. Then just follow the strategy outlined above and see what you can get for $100, which in turn could end up costing you $130-140 after you pay for parking and wifi. There is also some free/cheap street parking and lots near DT San Diego (especially near the Marina) if you get a hotel that charges a lot for parking.

I would also check out HOTWIRE as you have a better chance of figuring out the exact hotel you'll be receiving which means you can figure out the exact cost to you before actually paying for it (as there is no cancellation). HOTWIRE I find also has more zones for the areas you want to stay in (Downtown, North Convention, South Convention) whereas PRICELINE has only one.

As for your other question of resorts there are some places in San Diego that I think would qualify: private beach, spa, tennis courts, etc. The Hilton is one of them and is located in, I believe, the Mission Bay area.

You could also use HOTWIRE and choose a hotel that offers Free Parking, Free Internet, and/or doesn't list a Resort fee.

Your room rate may be more than a winning PRICELINE bid, but your 'all in' rate may be less if the hotel you choose has no fee for any of the above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]