LIH Kauai Midsize Alamo

cshos
By cshos,
in

Decided to update my post from our rental first week of Dec/2011, but didn't see it.

Thought the info might be helpful, so here goes.

We bid on a midsize car, was accepted by Alamo @$10 per day plus fees. At Alamo we used to go up to the desk....and the clerk would handle it. This time, they announced that those with "priceline" and "hotwire" bids to go over to a small kiosk like area with 2 computer terminals for us to enter our info into. Someone was there to assist. It took a bit longer, but was fine.

When we got outside to pick out a car, there were NO more midsized cars. They immediately offered one full sized car that was left, but we didn't want it. Then the girl (from Alamo) said, "Well, do you want this one?" pointing to a convertible. Surprised, I asked her "Are you offering me the convertible?" She said, "Well, yes, if that's what you want." I think she thought we were just being difficult, trying to get a better car. We really wanted the midsized car that we bid on. So, I asked her "How long would we have to wait for a midsize?" She said "About 15 minutes." Then I think she went over and got one for us, and we were out without much more delay. (I could see lines of cars being returned.)

In HI, space is at a premium and parking spaces are small. So you may not want to consider that when choosing a size. Another thing is that even the smaller cars have a lot of "get up and go" because the cars in HI DO NOT have all the extra polution controls, or whatever, on them that slow down the 4 cylinder cars on the mainland.

That's about it. Hope you enjoy Kauai if that's where you are going! :)

Glad to see that in the end you received the vehicle you wanted.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the dates of this rental so we can add this information to the topic title.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]