Priceline Hotel: Chicago NMA or Loop, 7/26-7/28, 2.5* and up - Price?

letuno
By letuno,
in

Hello,

In the past 1-2 weeks I have been trying to bid on a hotel in Chicago for 2 nights, between 7/26 and 7/28. I would like to stay either in the "Millenium Park, Loop, Grant Park" or "North Michigan Avenue - River North" area. Any 2.5* or higher hotel would be fine. Based on the reviews I have read about the 1* and 2* hotels, I think it is better to avoid them (correct me if I'm wrong). My aim was to find a room for less than a total of $110-$120 per night (incl. all taxes). I have been trying with bids between $50 and $95, but with no success. Today was the first time that I tried bidding on a 2.5* hotel with up to $85, but I did not get anything.

Any ideas what price would be realistic for this time period and these areas?

Thank you!

PS: I'm aware of free-bid areas and used them when bidding.

At the moment my guess is that it will take about ~$110-$130 to be successful.

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com and/or BiddingHelper.com what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd definitely not recommend the 1* or 2* level in the NMA-River North area or Millennium-Loop-GP area; there are a couple of properties at those levels in the MP-Loop-GP area I'd especially avoid. The 2.5* level is fine, although there are not tons of hotels at that level in either zone. I agree that $110-130 is probably what it will take, although I'd try to see if a 3* in the NMA-River North area will accept first at that level before going down to 2.5*, as there are some very nice 3*'s in the NMA-River North area.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you for the replies!

On MAPS and HOTELS.com, currently the prices are the following:

(2* Red Roof Inn: $160)

2.5*: $194, $200, ...

3*: $171, $182, ...

3.5*: $179, $194, $194, $194, ...

4*: $199, $203, ...

Hotwire using BiddingHelper.com:

3*: $135, $168, $175, ...

3.5*: $141, $170, ...

4*: $178, $188, ...

Hotels.com using BiddingHelper.com:

3*: $157, $164, $165, $178, ...

3.5*: $171, $179, $179, $179, $179, $183, $184, ...

4*: $141, $143, $175, $175, $176, $187, $188, $189, ...

What do you think based on this? Is the $110-$130 price range on PRICELINE realistic or lower/higher than that?

Thanks!

What do you think based on this? Is the $110-$130 price range on PRICELINE realistic or lower/higher than that?

Yes, it's realistic / in the right ballpark.

Did you want a suggested strategy to follow up to $130 (or $140 to be safe... or you'll try that the following day if $130 fails?) What is the minimum star rating you'd like to try for first?

HOTWIRE has a 3* hotel in the Downtown-Millennium-Grant Park zone... but it's only 45% recommended by previous HOTWIRE guests so 'buyer beware'.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I definitely wouldn't recommend the HOTWIRE listing with 45% approval rating; my guess is that this may be something like the Congress Hotel or Travelodge. Additionally, it appears the second night is the real problem - given the HOTWIRE rates I'm seeing on the first night separately, you could likely get a 3* in the River North-NMA area for $70-85. The only problem would be that you would most likely have to switch hotels, but I'm guessing given the significant variation in prices that you could probably get a better average price per night if you split the stay.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Last night I saw the hotel on Hotwire, too, but because of the reviews I didn't consider booking it.

After so many days of unsuccessful trying on Priceline, I just booked a hostel. I didn't want to spend more time on bidding and $150+ per night on accommodation.

Thank you for the replies and advice!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]