Hotwire Hotel: Help with Chicago hotel prices

St3wart
By St3wart,
in

Im a first time user from the uk (Scotland). I have spent the last week or so reading through various post for hotels in Chicago and am a bit confused with some of the prices available in the US. I am travelling to Chicago on the 12 of sept for 4 nights and am looking for a 4/5 star hotel within the city centre (Magnificent Mile area). The cheapest available on Hotwire (is the James - i think from researching on betterbiddding) which is £720 ($305 per night) and I have bid $240 on Priceline (both using your link). If that what it cost fair enough but most people on here seem to be paying much less, am I missing something? Any help is much appreciated thanks stewart

Your hotel details for: 12/09/12 to 16/09/12

Secret hot Rate hotel

Magnificent Mile Area - River North area | Show map

Hotel name will be presented immediately upon booking. Why?

13 bookings in last 24 hours

Priced based on

1 hot Rate room

4 nights, 2 adults

Non refundable

Standard price

£1,053 You save £333

£720 total for your stay

General facilities

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Spa Services

Guests have access to a spa facility or spa services; an extra charge typically applies.

Accessible for the blind

Braille or raised signage

Accessible for the deaf

TTY for telephone, visual or flashing fire alarm and vibrating alarm clock

Free Internet

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible path from the room entrance to the window, the bed and the bathroom; accessible hardware and minimal resistance to open the door; accessible temperature controls and window coverings

Accessible bathroom

Raised toilet, hand-held shower and grab bars at the tub and toilet

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Bathroom has a roll-in shower

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Please click the currency tab in the upper corner of HOTWIRE and switch to US/USD$, then reply with the total in US$ before taxes/fees. Additionally, please provide your desired budget per night and the star rating of the above listing.

Unfortunately, the Fall period does get more expensive, although rates can vary significantly from day-to-day. These dates unfortunately do look on the expensive side.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks Aaron, the hotel listed above is a 4.5star. I am looking for a 4/5star hotel up to $300 per night (which most Hotwire hotels seem to be under - only just). I was just wondering how some post seem to be around $120-150 per night for similar properties (but if it is a busy time of the year that's fair enough). Thanks again

Prices unfortunately can vary substantially by season, but can also vary substantially from day-to-day. For example, this coming Saturday, rates are about double what they are on Sunday.

In the case of these dates in September, the entire period is busy, but the first couple of nights and especially the first night are moderately worse than the last 2-3 nights.

Would you have any interest in splitting your stay (as that may provide a better overall average rate over the stay?)

In terms of 5*, the Four Seasons is $346 (stay 2 nights, get 1 free) for 9/13-16 on Expedia, and I see what appears to be either the Hilton Suites or Hyatt Mag Mile for $220 for the first night, which would average around $314 - a bit over what you were looking for, but 3 nights would be in a 5*.

I'm seeing what appears to be the James for $237 on HOTWIRE for your dates - are you searching for more than 2 people? (as that would lead to higher rates.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or Expedia or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for your help - I think with hindsight it would probably been better to book towards the end of the month (virgin atlantic were doing 60% discount on flights which finished on the 17th of sept). I have seen the James hotel on Hotwire and it gets fairly good reviews (maybe have a look into the four seasons also). We are visiting Washington, Philadelphia, new York (which I booked through Hotwire - only found your site after booking - sorry - but I will add the description, costs etc onto the site) and Chicago so not so keen on splitting up the chicago part ( but thanks for the idea).

This is so much more fun than booking a hotel normally I feel like a detective (or is that sad) :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the prompt replies and help

Cheers

Are you driving or flying between all of these destinations? If flying are all the dates already ticked and confirmed?

What is your maximum budget per nite for this leg of your trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Various ideas that I'm seeing when searching for 2 people for these dates:

1. The Hotel Lincoln is $169 on sale (30% off) on Travelocity. This is in the Lincoln Park area to the North of the city and a bit of a trek to the Gold Coast area/top end of the North Michigan Ave area. However, there's a lot of smaller/boutique stores and restaurants in the Lincoln Park area - the Zoo is also right there, as is the Old Town area (famed Second City theater.) Definitely not central, but a nice area and a cheaper alternative. This is a newer 4* in a renovated building. Travelocity also has the Fairmont for $271 (which is a little South of the river) and the Amalfi (which offers free breakfast and an evening reception) for $306.

2. I'm seeing what may be the Allerton or Westin Michigan Ave on HOTWIRE for $195, although it's most likely the Allerton.

3. What appears to be the Felix for $245 on HOTWIRE.

4. What appears to be the James for $236 on HOTWIRE.

5. What appears to be the Indigo for $199 on HOTWIRE.

Understandable that you would not want to move during the stay, but given the variation in prices, there are some (I think) better and/or different options if you split your stay.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, Expedia, PRICELINE or Travelocity links to start your purchases and searches.

You might take a look at Last Minute Travel.

The Blackstone Renaissance is listed there at $173, the Wyndham at $188, the Hard Rock at $169.

Also: good move taking the train between NY and DC! One tip: the Acela is worth the extra money, in my opinion. It's much faster and it's all Business Class (so comparable to a 1st class carriage in the UK). The Acela between NY and DC is the fastest train in America (not nearly as fast as the fast European or Japanese trains, but at least reasonable).

Thanks for the help (plenty of choice) . I will have a look through these over the next few days (I'm currently away on business). I did book the faster train (it's looks nice compared to the trains in the uk) All that I have left to sort out is the Chicago hotel (as this is the only place on our trip ive not been to before - someone told me its like a friendly new york). Thanks again and I will be sure to use the links below

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]