Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown West) Hilton New York

golionsgirl
By golionsgirl,
in

I originally started my bidding on Thursday (7/12) looking for a 4* in Times Square. Started at $90 and added the 7 re-bidding zones for a final rejected bid of $130. After some research, I decided to bid again today but in the Midtown West and Central Park South zones. I just thought that maybe this area would be just as good and possibly better for myself and my 16yr old son on a 1 1/2 day whirlwind visit to NYC. Below is my bidding strategy:

Selected 4* MTW, CPS

Bid $90, rejected added re-bid zone...

Bid $95, rejected added re-bid zone...

Bid $100, rejected added re-bid zone...

Bid $115, rejected added re-bid zone...

Bid $120, ACCEPTED!!

So.....if any native New Yorkers have any thoughts on some must see things in New York for a 16yr old and his mom, I would appreciate that input. We are arriving at 7:30am on Friday and have to head back to LaGuardia around 2:00 on Saturday. The kid expressed an interest in Times Square (of course), 9/11 memorial and Statue of Liberty. I have tickets for the Memorial at 11am on Friday, and am thinking we will hop on the Staten Island Ferry to view Miss Liberty. I'm thinking our meals will be hot dogs for lunch and Pizza for dinner, anything other than that would be lost on his 16yr old palate and to be honest I'm looking forward the tasting that authentic New York fare as well! (any suggestions on the best HD and Pizza venues would be greatly appreciated!....or any other restaurants or eating venues.....) Also toying with the idea of taking him to UCB on Friday night? I figured a comedy club might be a good choice since bars and nightclubs are obviously out of the question. Thanks in advance.....can't wait to go!!!!!

Congrats on your success. :)

Awesome deal for this NYC Hilton! Glad you are pleased with the result.

Personally, I think the Intrepid Air/Space Museum is a must - that's a giant renovated aircraft carrier that also serves as a museum (and there is a submarine next to it.) You can walk around the flight deck and look at planes, and it also provides some great views of the city and surrounding area. It's on the Hudson River.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

This is how i would play your morning:

7:30am --> land and head to Manhattan (not sure how you're coming... via mass transit, shuttle or taxi)

Times Square to see the lights and crowds (just stopping by at this time to get a 'taste')

Subway to Ground Zero

--> if ahead of your 11am schedule head to Battery Park and see the statue from there is you desire, otherwise can do this after visiting the Memorial or after lunch

If Lunchtime (if not lunchtime grab the ferry and eat upon your return) grab some pizza (it's a restaurant, not a slice shop) nearby here:

Adrienne's Pizza Bar

54 Stone St

New York, NY 10004

(look at a map as it's off the beaten track)

Split a 'square grandma pie' which is what they're best known for... if the weather is nice you can eat outside.

Staten Island Ferry trip (could be swapped with the lunch at Adrienne's above)

Other ideas:

Take A train to Brooklyn and get off at High St (first stop) and walk back to manattah via the Brooklyn Bridge, taking in the skyline (and have some nice 'mother son' conversation along the way)

Comedy show is one idea (Comedy Cellar on McDougal St is usually decent... but if you and/he are into music a 'must' stop is Cafe Wha? next door to the Comedy Cellar. Incredible house band and while it is a bar/nightclub, kids are allowed (but cover isn't cheap, i think on weekends it's ~$20/pp plus a 2 drink minimum per person (although food or soft drinks can be purchased for your son).

hot Dogs - most Grays Papaya's are generally good but i haven't eaten a hot dog in i can't tell you how many years, so hard for me to say on this one

After 7:30pm - try the

after 7:30pm on the SW corner of 53rd and Sixth... best $6 plate of food in the city (but use the hot sauce sparingly, it's INCREDIBLY spicy)... look for the line and you'll know you're in the right spot (YES, a long line to eat food from a cart!)

Trip on top of the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock for a bird eye view of the city is always a good for visitors.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks! All great ideas! I put the Intrepid on our list of possibilities and the Brooklyn Bridge walk as well. I was going back and forth between the Empire State Building and Top of the Rock....I'm thinking Top of the Rock....cheaper and maybe less of a wait? Thanks again for all of your help :D

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]