Priceline Hotel: Resort Maui (Kaanapali - Lahaina) The Westin Maui Resort And Spa

OCDNHC
By OCDNHC,
in

First time BetterBidding, Hotwire, & Priceline user here.

I'm looking to book a 4 star hotel in Ka'anapali, Maui from 8/30/2012 - 9/3/2012 for 4 nights. Based on the forums and the Ka'anapali, Maui hotel list, it seems like the hotels usually given through HW or PL is the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, and the Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Is this statement somewhat true? What other hotels would they give for a 4 star rating? If I recieve any of the three mentioned I'd be happy even though I prefer the pool areas from the Hyatt and Westin. I just don't want to be given a hotel, for example the Whaler (not even sure if that's offered anymore), not against it, just want a big resort hotel I guess.

Can you please ID the following from Hotwire:

4 Star Ka'anapali Hotel

Rate/Night: $189.00

Nights: 4

Rooms: 1

Tax & Fees: $131.38

Subtotal: $887.38

Trip Total: $887.38

It has a rating of 95% from Hotwire customer reviews.

Beachfront Property

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Spa Services

Children's Activity Program

In-room Accessibility

Wheelchair Accessible

Do you think it'd go any lower from $189/night on HW or do you recommend I use PL and bid my own price? If I do use PL, should I choose 4 star or Resort? As mentioned, looking for the Sheraton, Hyatt, Westin, or nicer.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the site.

PS: I did use the links from this site to access HW or PL.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Based on the forums and the Ka'anapali, Maui hotel list, it seems like the hotels usually given through HW or PL is the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, and the Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Is this statement somewhat true?

For the most part, but as per the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List things can/do change, and you could be the first to report a new hotel in the zone or a hotel upgraded/downgraded since last reported to the board (or a hotel previously reported to the board but not seen in years... suddenly re-appearing).

What other hotels would they give for a 4 star rating?

You can see all hotels reported to the board in the Priceline and Hotwire hotel lists.

I just don't want to be given a hotel, for example the Whaler (not even sure if that's offered anymore), not against it, just want a big resort hotel I guess.

While this property has not been reported to the board in quite some time (5+ years) there is always a chance that it suddenly re-appears and begins to get reported to the board frequently. I would not think this would be a high probability bet, but there is always the chance, and therefore no guarantees. When you use PRICELINE you need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you select.

The HOTWIRE property above matches previous reports for the Sheraton Maui Hotel and that would be my best guess for this one.

Do you think it'd go any lower from $189/night on HW or do you recommend I use PL and bid my own price? If I do use PL, should I choose 4 star or Resort?

Nobody can say if the price of the hotel above will go lower... or higher, between now and your arrival. PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper than HOTWIRE, but with HOTWIRE you're able to take a guess as to the property offered based upon the amenities shown before your purchase. As well, the HOTWIRE property above shows a 4.0/5.0 TA rating... looking at the Whaler (the hotel you're trying to avoid) the TA rating of that property is 4.5/5.0, so this would also give you more 'comfort' in successfully avoiding the Whaler with this HOTWIRE offer since the TA ratings don't match (although this is not 100% 'foolproof' since the TA ratings shown by HOTWIRE are not updated in realtime (only about once every 2-3 weeks) so there is always the chance that the TA rating has changed since last updated by HOTWIRE)

So which service is 'right' for you for this trip depends upon your needs and how much risk you're willing to accept (i don't think there risks are large thru either service but there is some level of risk any time you buy an opaque hotel without seeing the name beforehand)... you can try for the cheaper route with PRICELINE knowing that the Whaler has not been reported to the board in 5+ years and hope that trend continues... or go with HOTWIRE which is a little more expensive but gives you a few 'concrete' reasons to believe this isn't the Whaler, as well as a best guess that this is the Sheraton.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know what you decide and/or how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Errr. Sat on this and now a 4 star on HW is at $196/night. Also, it's showing different amentities now, can someone please help ID?

8/30 - 9/3

4-star Hotel in Ka'anapali

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Beachfront Property

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

Spa Services

Children's Activity Program

Free Parking

And a 90% rating compared to the 95% offered before.

Resort at Ka'anapali, Maui

Just curious, has the Whaler been posted as winners on the PL forum as of late? Plan on staying in Maui from 8/30 - 9/3 and would like to stay either at the Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt, just NOT the Whaler. HW recently went up in price ($196/night), so I was wondering if I should use PL (which I never used) for a lower price for the Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt.

If the Whaler hasn't been posted for a while, then I feel somewhat confident and will try PL...

Any help would be apprectiated in trying to get the listed 3 for the lowest price either on PL or HW.

The other property returns if you subtract 2 days to a checkout on 9-1. If you want the other property and you can try to 'add' days to your stay through Hotwire or take another prpoerty if you want to explore another part of the island. btw;I was thinking this new property is the Westin with the 'free parking' amenity as it matches a recent win.

Thanks.

Yes, Resort was listed under amentities too. Thanks.

Ooo. Wouldn't mind the Westin and free parking. Actually, I'd be happy with either the Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt. Do you think I could possibly win these 3 for cheaper via PL? Say around the $170 - $180 range?

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

The Whaler has not been reported to the board in over 5 years (last priceline win was back in Feb 2007)

Let us know your thoughts in terms of moving forward with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS- please remember to follow-up your Hotwire Las Vegas thread with whatever you decide, or your current thoughts, for that stay. Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Plan on bidding on PL shorty or by tomorrow. If I'm targeting the Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt, I recall reading that I should select the "Resort" category and not the "4 Star" for PL, is that correct?

If I don't win for a price of $188 or lower on PL, I'm going with HW.

First, thanks for all the help!

Won The Westin Maui Resort & Spa (Resort Maui, Ka'anapali - Lahaina) for $175 on PL from 8/30 - 9/3.

Bid $145. Rejected. Added Kahului.

Bid $155. Rejected.

Bid $165. Declined to adding zones.

Won @ $175.

Thanks again for everything.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]