Priceline Hotel: 3-4* Niagara falls area - Aug 31 to Sept 4

NoviceTraveller
By NoviceTraveller,
in

Hi folks,

I will be visiting Niagara falls from August 31-September 4. This will be my first visit to the area. I am looking for a nice 3-4* hotel, I could go upto 5* for 2 people. We won't have a car so prefer within walking distance to the attractions or close to public transporation.

I live in USA but have been told Canada side is nicer to stay in. I am flexible which side I stay in as long as it meets the requirements of safety and proximity to Niagara Falls attrations or within walking distance to public transportation.

Let me know if I need a separate thread in the Buffalo forum as well.

Any advice on starting bid or area would be helpful. I have done bidding once before so I have some idea. Thank you!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

When bidding on PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose... there is no way to designate 'close to the attractions' unless the zone is geographically small enough that the entire area is well covered by mass transit. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property and do some research to see if the hotel you believe is being offered will meet your needs, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, as well as your maximum budget (per nite before fees and taxes) for this trip and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your reply. I know there is no criteria of 'close to the attractions' but I was hoping to get recommendations from experts on this forum based on my requirements. 'Niagara Falls, ON ' and 'North Niagara Falls, ON' seem to be good fit, but recommendations are always welcome. 'West Niagara Falls, ON' would be my 3rd choice

Areas in order of preference (Again recommendations welcome :))

'Niagara Falls, ON ' (first preference)

'North Niagara Falls, ON' (second preference)

'West Niagara Falls, ON' (third preference)

Dates: August 31-September 4

Budget: <=$100/night

And I would prefer to get guidance for Priceline bidding. I haven't heard good things about Hotwire prices (i.e. it doesn't end up being cheaper) unless you suggest otherwise

Few comments...

'Niagara Falls, ON ' and 'North Niagara Falls, ON' seem to be good fit, but recommendations are always welcome. 'West Niagara Falls, ON' would be my 3rd choice

Niagara Falls is really the zone that people looking to be close to the Falls bid... we seldom see the other two zones selected. However, considering your budget, you may need to consider zone(s) outside of this area. Summer is peak season in this area and it's a holiday weekend... there is little reason for hotels to offer very deep discounts if they can likely sell most of their rooms on their own at premium prices.

And I would prefer to get guidance for Priceline bidding. I haven't heard good things about Hotwire prices (i.e. it doesn't end up being cheaper) unless you suggest otherwise

There are certainly deals to be had through both services, and neither is 'right' or 'wrong', but rather it comes down to your needs for a given stay. If price is the most important factor, then PRICELINE is likely the better choice... but if being in a certain part of the zone, say near mass transit, then HOTWIRE could be the better option if you're able to correctly identify a hotel and it is convenient to mass transit. Should you bid on PRICELINE and get a hotel on the outskirts of the zone, but save $10/nite vs. a HOTWIRE offer that you identified as being convenient to mass transit, is the $10 savings worth it?

Given all the above how would you like to proceed? If PRICELINE which zone(s) and star rating do you want to try for first?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info.

I would like to start with Priceline first in 'Niagara Falls, ON' area with 4*. If that doesn't work I can move to 3*. If that doesn't work then I can try other areas ('North Niagara Falls, ON' , 'West Niagara Falls, ON') with 4* first and then 3*.

If all of the above don't work I could move to Hotwire but would like to give Priceline a try first.

When bidding 4* in the Niagara Falls region you have FOUR re-bid zones... as well as FOUR re-bid zones at the 3.5* level and THREE re-bid zones at the 3* level. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Niagara Falls...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* Niagara Falls...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Niagara Falls...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If it doesn't work out then its onto plan B, i.e. Hotwire or normal booking.

Currently there is nothing on HOTWIRE in this zone at 3* or higher (which is indicative of how tight the demand is at this point in time)... if your PRICELINE bids fail you can try MAPS and HOTELS.com which will make it easy to see prices to to stay near the falls and how much more/less it will be to go higher/lower in star rating or closer/further from your ideal location.

Please also check the Support Page if you decide to book thru traditional booking channels.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress as well as what you ultimately decide to do for this stay.

So now its onto plan 'B, part 1' (aka Hotwire :)). I see the following hotels for my dates. Any idea what these might be?

1) Niagara Falls, Ontario - West area hotel: $68/night

-(0.0 - 2.0 mi from city center)

- Amenities:Indoor pool(s), Pool(s), Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access

- Recommended: In 85% of Hotwire customer reviews

- 2 and 1/2 stars

2) Niagara Falls, Ontario area hotel: $102/night

- 2 and 1/2 stars

- (2.2 - 4.5 mi from city center)

- Recommended: In 90% of Hotwire customer reviews.

- Amenities: Indoor pool(s), Airport Shuttle, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access, Golf Nearby

3) Niagara Falls, Ontario area hotel: $77/night

- 2 stars

- Amenities: Pool(s)

4) Niagara Falls, Ontario - West area hotel: $74/night

- 2 stars

- Amenities: Indoor pool(s), Pool(s), High-Speed Internet Access, Free Parking, Free Internet

1) Niagara Falls, Ontario - West area hotel: $68/night

- Amenities:Indoor pool(s), Pool(s), Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access

- Recommended: In 85% of Hotwire customer reviews

- 2 and 1/2 stars

3) Niagara Falls, Ontario area hotel: $77/night

- 2 stars

- Amenities: Pool(s)

4) Niagara Falls, Ontario - West area hotel: $74/night

- 2 stars

- Amenities: Indoor pool(s), Pool(s), High-Speed Internet Access, Free Parking, Free Internet

If you look at the Tripadvisor rating information for all of these properties, along with the breakdown of HOTWIRE ratings given by previous guests, these all have extremely poor reviews... are these hotels that you're really interested in with TA ratings of 2.0 and 2.5??

2) Niagara Falls, Ontario area hotel: $102/night

- 2 and 1/2 stars

- Amenities: Indoor pool(s), Airport Shuttle, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access, Golf Nearby

Does this property also show a Tennis amenity listed?

Niagara Falls, Ontario area hotel: $102/night

- 2 and 1/2 stars

Sorry I missed that earlier in copy paste but it does show: "Tennis Nearby".

All the amenities are: Indoor pool(s), Airport Shuttle, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby

Looks like it might be a Comfort Inn? Looking at the Hotwire list on this site, I don't see any hotel with Airport Shuttle and tennis amenities.

Thanks. I have booked at 2 star with no cancellation fee just to be safe but I am not giving up :) (yet).

I see another one on Hotwire. More details below:

1) Amenities: Indoor pool(s), Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Spa Services, Children's Activity Program

2) 4-star

3) Our 4-star hotels include:

Westin Hotels & Resorts

Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts

Hyatt Hotels & Resorts

Sheraton Hotels & Resorts

W Hotels

and other brand-name and independent hotels

4) (2.2 - 4.5 mi from city center)

5) Recommended in 80 % of Hotwire customer reviews

...I am not giving up.

What is it that you're looking for? Which zone is the property above located in?

...and your searches too! (please click each of the links above before replying)

Thanks.

• 9 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]