Help in Denver

El Gabito
By El Gabito,
in

I'm totally bummed, we just ironed out dates for our trip and rental prices seem to have skyrocketed. I looked on May 22nd, and through costco was able to find an intermediate SUV for around $300 (total). Looking now, they are around $2k. SUCKS!

Any advice on where to shoot for priceline?

Did you reserve the Costco deal as a back-up and now looking to do better... or is the price to beat $2000?

Any chance a minivan would work for your trip as that may save you almost 50%.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No, I honestly didn't expect prices to shoot up. I also didn't think about the fact that I probably could've cancelled that (I'm so used to buying things that are "pre-pay no refund").

Minivan is fine, we own an Odyssey. I've found a minivan on hotwire for right around $1k. I'm hoping to get as far under $1k as I can for ANY size SUV, or mini-van.

2 adults 2 children + luggage for four people

It looks like you can bid up to ~$70 and come in under your back-up reservation.

I'd start with $45 at each car class and raise to the following amounts every 24 hours (checking rates just before bidding to make sure that there haven't been any major changes or rate drops):

$50

$55

$58

$60

$63

$65

$68

$70

It's up to you if you want to bid the full $70 amount which would give you a non-refundable reservation with only a few dollars worth of savings vs. your current refundable back-up... you may choose to roll the dice with the slightly higher refundable reservation which would give you the ability to take advantage of any larger rate drops down the road.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]