The new FREE INTERNET icon

crito
By crito,
in

I booked (what turned out to be) the Doubletree in Philadelphia on Hotwire, and it showed the Free Internet icon. The Doubletree charges for in-room internet.

I had an e-mail exchange and then a phone conversation with Hotwire Express. To my surprise, the customer service reps seemed confused by and unfamiliar with the Free Internet amenity, which of course is quite new. They confused it with the Highspeed Internet icon, and then when they realized their mistake they incorrectly told me that Free Internet could be satisfied by free wireless in the lobby (which the Doubletree does have).

Eventually they have it, and offered to cancel and let me rebook, or else give me 50 hot Dollars. Easy choice! (I'm only staying two days, and the in-room internet is just $9.95/day.)

They weren’t trying to avoid admitting a mistake – it was honest confusion (and I'm not unhappy with them at all -- once they understood they apologized and compensated me very well). The upshot is that even Hotwire customer service is a bit unclear about this new Free Internet amenity, and it looks like the hotels are, too. Maybe Hotwire will change the definition of ‘Free Internet’. But as things stand, you can get compensation if the icon appears and the hotel doesn’t actually offer free in-room internet.

For any amenity listed but not offered HOTWIRE has a pretty good history of offering a refund and/or hot dollars (as long as the amenity not being available isn't a temporary thing... such as a pool being closed for 2-3 days for repair/maintenance)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]