Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) The Palmer House Hilton

gojays_1
By gojays_1,
in

Need bidding assistance for 'Greater Chicago' region of Chicago. Weekend of July 6-9. We are in early planning stages of road trip to see the jays at comiskey. This seems like the ideal region for White Sox stadium.

Would prefer a 3-4 star. Did not see any posts for 'Greater Chicago' and I don't know how to do a search for those posts since this board changed.

Any advice on where to start bidding appreciated. Don't have a maximum price yet nor do we know exactly how many nights at this point.

Extremely few stay within the greater chicago zone, as it's not really near anything and can really go out in outlying areas. There is a search box in the upper corner of the board, but again, this zone is rarely bid upon. Those staying for the games (either Sox or Cubs) generally stay downtown because it's much easier to access public transit (Red Line) that can take you right to the game. Additionally, in terms of staying downtown, there's at least more to see and do (and more options in the way of restaurants, certainly) when you're not at the game.

What would be your desired max bid per night? I would recommend looking at the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area, but if still do want to (and would be willing to stay anywhere within) the Greater Chicago zone, please let us know and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. I found the box in upper corner a few minutes ago. I guess it's moved since last I used it!:)

Just started this search and just looked geographically at what was closest to U.S. Cellular field (home of the Sox). Seemed that Greater Chicago was the closest. I've only been to Chicago once. Stayed downtown but it was with my wife who was on business.

If it is advisable to take transit to the park (I'm not sure how safe that area is to leave my car or if there is parking at the park), then we'd be willing to stay downtown or somewhere else close to restaurants and bars.

So if you can recommend a different zone that's close to both, that would be great.

We would prefer to stay at a good 3-4 star, somewhere in the $50-$80 per night range. Ideally with parking price not too exorbitant!

We are probably going to stay Saturday and Sunday night.

thanks

Parking is definitely expensive in the city - city lots (such as Millennium Park) are going to be around $25 per night. Hotel parking is generally $45-65.

Unfortunately, rates are on the high side for these dates in the busier Summer season. Based on the rates I'm seeing, you're likely looking at $85-95 +/- for a 3* downtown + parking. A 4* will likely run $110-125 +/-

I do see what appears to be the South Loop Hotel on HOTWIRE for $96. This would be okay for going to the games (you could take a bus from next to the hotel most of the way to the game or a pretty decent walk to a CTA station) - but keep in mind that there's really not much around this property otherwise.

The South Loop is a 3* on PRICELINE and would fall under the Greater Chicago zone, although it has not been reported as a win so it may not participate on the bidding side of the service.

The problem with the Greater Chicago zone and why I wouldn't suggest bidding on it is that it covers a LOT of ground and pretty much captures all of the hotels on the outlying area of the city - both to the South and to the West/SW. The concern would be bidding 3* and not knowing if the Chicago South Loop hotel even participates, but also whether or not you may be upgraded to the 3.5* Marriott UIC (SW of downtown) or Crowne Plaza West Loop (W of Downtown), both of which would not be convenient from a transit standpoint, game standpoint or downtown standpoint (especially in the case of the Marriott.)

I would definitely recommend public transit to the game.

So, just to clarify, I think the options are (no particular order)

1. South Loop Hotel via HOTWIRE. That hotel, while in not much of an area, would be okay for getting to the game and offer free parking (it's one of about 2 or 3 hotels in the city that offer free parking). Keep in mind, it's a ways from downtown.

2. Bidding for a 3* in either of the two main downtown zones, which would probably be $85-95 +/- + parking. However, a lot more to see and do (and a lot more restaurant options) when you're not seeing games.

3. Bidding for a 3* in the Greater Chicago area, which is a risk, as you may get upgraded and it's not sure whether or not the South Loop hotel even participates with the service. While

4. Stay in the 'burbs for around $40-55 w/free parking. However, this would mean a train trip into the city on the Metra trains (about 40-45-50 minutes, depending) and then a fairly short CTA ride down to the game.

Let us know your thoughts and we would be happy to offer further suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks Aaron for the amazingly informative reply. You must be from Chicago! :)

We will have to consider all the options before making a decision. I am not as familiar with Hotwire, so I will probably stick with Priceline. We don't know yet what our max bid is yet and whether we want to be close to downtown or closer to the ball park.

We still have lots of time to decide. Would bidding early be better (ie. cheaper) because it's a busy season or wait til we get closer to the date?

And thereuare, I will remember to use the HOTWIRE / PRICELINE better bidding links.

Thanks all again.

This tends to be one of the busier times of year, with nicer weather. I think you do have time, although I'd be persistent in trying to get a hotel within your desired budget range. You could choose a "ceiling" under your budget max, then continue trying for 2-3 weeks to get a win within that range. Then, if a couple weeks pass and nothing, you could try moving your ceiling higher.

I do recommend trying to stay downtown - there's just a lot more going on in most areas of downtown day/night and transit to the ballpark is easy and straightforward from downtown.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the city (dining recommendations, other sights, etc - let me know some likes/dislikes and I'd be happy to offer suggestions based upon them.)

• 1 month later...

It's actually a 4* I was bidding on. (Accidentally listed it as a 5*)

Started bidding at $55 and used free rebid zones to increase bids by $5 increments. When I reached my final re-bid, I used Skokie and bid $84 and it was accepted. I was surprised to get it at that price after seeing some of the other bids.

I used the better bidding PRICELINE link.

Thanks to aaron and thereuare for the advice.

Now that we know where we are staying, any tips on dining appreciated. Particularly breakfast and dinner spots walking distance where the food is good and the prices are reasonable. :)

Also, the price for parking is ridiculous. Is there anywhere else we can park near the Palmer House?

Thanks all

Congrats on your success. :)

Very nice deal for this historic property and glad you are pleased with the result.

A local chain for value eats if you don't want to go far is Flat Top Grill, which is literally a block or so North of your hotel on Wabash - that's a make your own Stir Fry place where, if you select to do so, you can just keep going back and make different combinations. They also have a similar set-up for breakfast (http://www.flattopgrill.com/docs/Flat%20Top%20Grill%20-%20Menu%20-%20Breakfast.pdf) Not the world's greatest, but it's been very good in my experience and a value.

I also like Pittsfield Cafe in the Pittsfield Building, which is more an old-school breakfast spot. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pittsfield-cafe-chicago) Yolk and Artist's Cafe on Michigan Ave are two other breakfast options not far away.

In terms of dinner spots, any particular likes/dislikes?

You can park at the Millennium Park lot for - I believe - $25. There are also a lot of lots nearby that will probably run around $30-35.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Aaron,

as far as dinner goes we aren't too picky. We would definitely want to try a good Chicago deep dish pizza place at least one night. other than that we like steak, italian, chinese. thai etc. whatever you think has good food and near palmer house, and/or some place that is unique to chi-town, would be cool.

thanks

I'm not a huge fan of Uno's/Due's, and would rather recommend Lou Malnati's or Giordanos for Chicago pizza.

For pizza otherwise, I recommend La Madia:

http://www.dinelamadia.com/menu.php

RED

Three Cheese | Mozzarella, Provolone and Pecorino with Tomato Sauce 12

Housemade Fennel Sausage & Sweet Onions | Tomato Sauce with Mozzarella Cheese 14

Triple Pepperoni | Tomato Sauce & Mozzarella Cheese, finished with White Truffle Oil 16

Margherita | Mozzarella di Bufala Campana, Tomato Sauce & Torn Basil 17

Parma Classic | Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Sauce, Prosciutto, finished with Arugula* 16

Burrata & Fire-Roasted Eggplant
 | Mozzarella Cheese & Tomato Sauce* 18

La Quercia Coppa Piccante | Fire-Roasted Sweet Banana Pepper & Onions 15

WHITE

Shaved Artichoke | Reggiano Parmesan & Garlic 13

Carbonara
Slagel Farm Guanciale, Cracked Organic Egg, Pecorino, Melted Leeks & Black Pepper 16

Seasonal Wild Mushrooms & Smoked Mozzarella 14

Taleggio and 3-Hour Roasted Grapes 13

Laura Chenel Goat Cheese | Melted Leeks, Garlic & Pancetta Lardons 15

Sopresatta & Fire-Roasted Fennel | Arugula, Parmesan 14

Cracked Organic Egg | Prosciutto & Black Pepper* 17

Housemade Lamb Sausage | Fresno Peppers, Caciocavallo Cheese & Mint Salsa Verde 15

Clam & Fresno Chilies | Pecorino, Garlic & Fresh Thyme 17

Costa Rican Pineapple | Speck & Fresno Peppers, Fleur de Sel 15

Spinach | Roasted Cherry Tomatoes & Goat Cheese 14

It's part of the popular Lettuce Entertain You company, but I do like Wildfire (http://www.wildfirerestaurant.com/), which is a 40's style place that's steak and potatoes. Gene and Georgetti and Keefer's are other steak options.

I'd also recommend Xoco, which is the new casual Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill, Top Chef, etc) offering in River North. Atwood Cafe at the Burnham Hotel is a delightful place a few minutes walk North of the Palmer. Miller's Pub a few doors down from the Palmer on Wabash is an institution. I often recommend Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com), which is near Navy Pier and similar to NYC's Dean and Deluca. Custom House is another very nice American restaurant not far South of the Palmer.Star of Siam is a reasonable option in the River North area for Thai (as is Panang, which has coupons - http://www.panangthai.com/coupon.html) I'll add more to this list in the next day or two.

Keep an eye on Groupon and Living Social (and Travelzoo's local) for discount meal offers, as there have been some very good deals for local spots. Restaurant.com (please use the site's Restaurant.com link) is another option.

La Madia is more classic pizza, while Lou Malnati's and Giordano's would be where to go for Chicago style. In terms of red/white, red is with sauce, white is cheeses and no sauce (which I actually rather like - still very good and usually seems to wind up being less salt, although that's going to vary with toppings, certainly.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]