MI Detroit Westin Southfield

sparkynum1
By sparkynum1,
in

This is a follow-up on a bid that I won: Hotel Bid

I have stayed at nicer 3* hotels. Not to say this wasn't a nice hotel, just had a few things that kind of got to me. I'll start off on the negative personal things. My bathroom had a very bad mildew odor. I contacted the front desk and they informed me they would take care of it. Never saw any action. Also the bathtub and sink drained very slowly. Nothing like taking a shower in standing water or brushing your teeth with standing water.

Ok, now to the hotel. Overlooking the problems with my room the hotel was a nice hotel. It was in a good location and the staff was very friendly. The only issue that I had with the staff was that the concierge, bellhop, and valet attendant were all the same person and there were usually never more than 2 on staff at a time. So, if you used the valet you could end up waiting a little while. There is free parking in the back and I advise you to use that. The hotel is very busy with a lot of business personal coming in and out. There is a bar right inside the front door that made is easy for eating and drinking. Great Sushi bar right next door and can be accessed through the hotel lobby.

They pride their selves on what they call the Heaven experience. I didn't quite get it, but the bed was one of the more comfortable ones that I have slept in. The room was set up for both leisure and business use. They actually had a office recliner in front of the desk. I would probably stay here again, but would be more adamant on them taking care of the smell. I just had to keep the bathroom door closed and hurried my business in the bathroom.

• 2 years later...

Quick review with a 2007 update. Staff at the hotel were courteous and competent, and our room request was honored. The room was very nice, with a new 37 inch lcd screen, although they don't have any hd programming, so the screen is kind of wasted. Room was completely quiet the entire time I was there. Also of note is that they are advertising an ongoing renovation of the hotel, but I didn't see any evidence of it. Overall an excellent stay.

• 4 years later...

I stayed here on Dec 2nd, 2011. I think the bid was 67 dollars. This is a NASTY NASTY WESTIN. There is no way it should have four stars on priceline. Furniture was all beaten up, windows filthy, bedding *dirty* (bolster pillow and comforter), bathroom was not what I expect from a westin. NO free wifi, either. Basically, all the downsides of a 4* (no free wifi, no fridge/microwave), but none of the upsides (still felt like I was in a cheap, nasty hotel). boo.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]