Priceline Hotel: Help needed for NYC - Oct 17-23

cnk88888
By cnk88888,
in

I'm heading to NYC Oct 17-23, 2012 and would like to know how much I can expect to pay for either a 3* (preferred) or 2.5* hotel? Would like to stay in Manhattan. I have a back-up hotel in East Rutherford, NJ for $79/night (corp. rate), but would like to avoid commuting into the city. Only must haves are decent hotel and private showers (read on here that some hotels have shared showers). Areas NOT considered are Brooklyn, Coney Island, Long Island City, Morningside Heights/Harlem, and Upper East/West Side.

Please let me know what I can expectt to pay.

Thanks a bunch!

As cheap as possible, but likely be probably $130 all-in? Is that way out to lunch you think? I think I can better gauge what my budget is if I know what the going range is.

If more than that, I think it might be worth the commute. I understand that the commuute is between 15min to 45 mins from Eastr Rutherford.

Thanks!

At what hotel is your back-up reservation?

Please include the zones you will accept as opposed to the one that you will not. Did you want to first bid for a 3* up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 2.5* property? Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please include the zones you will accept as opposed to the one that you will not.

The zones I will accept are, Chelsea Area, Downtown Financial District, Empire State Building (ESB), Hell's Kitchen, Lower East Side (LES), Madison Square Garden (MSG), Midtown East/West (MTE/MTW), SohoTribeca, Times Square (TS). Also, a 10-15 minute walk to/from Subway is okay.

I'm unsure about the Queensborough Bridge area though, and also likely not Central Park South at the risk of getting the Hudson Hotel. Any thoughts about Queensborough?

Did you want to first bid for a 3* up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 2.5* property? Preferably, but I've tried bidding 3* up to $110 to no avail???

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? Yes, but would only split once, as I don't want to spend much time swtiching hotels.

At what hotel is your back-up reservation? Fairfield Inn & Suites East Rutherford Meadowlands (850 Paterson Plank Road). I understand commute is about 15-40 minutes each way. The total approx. hotel cost with taxes & fees is $545. After factoring in daily commute into NYC (at $4.25 one way), additional commute cost come to about $127. Therefore, total estimated cost to stay in East Rutherford is about $700. Therefore, budgeting around $130-$150 per night is my preference, and will give some premium to not commuting.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Only must haves are decent hotel and private showers (read on here that some hotels have shared showers).

I recently asked PRICELINE about private baths, and was assured all Priceline hotels have private baths. If you would like to have it in writing directly from them, you could email them posing the question.

Romelle

I'm doubtful you'll be successful at $130 all-in at that is only ~$108 bid price.... i think you'll need to be closer to $150 bid price to be successful for these dates.

As far as the Queensboro Bridge zone i can't comment on any specific hotels in this zone, but from a location point of view it should be fine (similar to MTE which you're willing to accept), and given your budget i'd be include as many zones as possible to increase your chances... anything you win inside of Manhattan at ~$110 for these dates i would consider a 'win'. However, ultimately it's your decision of you're willing to stay in this area or not... let us know if you wan to include this zone or not and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The bidding strategy and increments will be different depending upon your maximum bid, please let us know how high you are willing to bid at this time and we will suggest an appropriate bidding strategy.

Thanks.

So to recap your acceptable zones: Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, LES, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, QB

Goal: 3* or better with a $150 maximum bid

When bidding 3* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, LES, MSG...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, QB...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, DT, ESB, HK, LES, MSG...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, MTW, Soho, TS, QB...

Select 3* Cheslea, MTW, ESB, HK, LES, MSG...

Select 3* MTE, DT, Soho, TS, QB...

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, Soho, HK, LES, MSG...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, ESB, TS, QB...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, TS, LES, MSG...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, Soho, HK, QB...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, QB, MSG...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, LES...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, ESB, HK, LES, MSG...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, Soho, TS, QB...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, Soho, TS LES, MSG...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, ESB, HK, QB...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, TS, QB...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, Soho, LES, MSG...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, LES, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, LES, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, QB...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Cheslea, DT, ESB, HK, LES, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, QB...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the info.

Tried bidding up to $150 according to the strategy to no avail.

Is it possible that it may still be early? Will inventory be taken up and prices continue to increase as we get closer?

Will keep trying every so often and will keep the Board posted!

Thanks!

There is a good discussion on bidding timing in the PRICELINE FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) up above. It is pretty early, but the answer in a nutshell is "one never knows".

The beauty of the bidding pattern thereuare gave you is it takes all your personal preferences into account and lets you "sweep" the offerings from low to high so if there is something new out there at a lower rate you will get it at that lower rate. And if it gets closer to the date and you still haven't scored something, you can just add a few $$ to each of the bids and keep using the pattern.

Yes, the approach is to just keep trying.

And other bidders do appreciate even failed-bid reports. You will notice at the very bottom of the board that usually only about 10% of the people are signed on as members. You have a wider audience of "lookers" than you might have thought.

Good luck!

Romelle

Nobody can predict if rates will drop, or continue even higher from here, but as noted above this is generally an expensive time of year in NYC.

I will add that HOTWIRE does show a 3* hotel in the ESB zone with only Restaurant and Internet amenities, along with a 4.0/5.0 Tripadvisor rating for $184/nite. Best guess for this property is the Hotel Bedford which, while not luxurious, it generally gets decent reviews and is close to Grand Central Station for easy subway access, if you're looking for an option to get this done sooner rather than later.

Keep us updated on your progress or if we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]