Priceline Hotel: need help with 4 Star hotel for WAIKIKI BEACH

604girly
By 604girly,
in

Hi, I've used priceline before so I do understand the rebidding strategy. For Hawaii, it seems like there is a lot of resort type of options and I dont want to make a mistake on rebidding zone. I dont quite understand the whole resort level bumping up and stuff.

My goal is to land the 4* Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa. Is it a good place to stay? I find mixed reviews online regarding the slow elevator/noise level.

looking for 8 nights aprox june 25,26 - july 3,4

Is there any rebidding zone?

Do I bid 4* or Resort?

I am so glad there is this website with tons of help. I really appreicate it. Thanks

I was reading online reviews and I noticed customers complaining about the noise level and access because of union demonstrations outside. I just called the hotel to ask about this the answer was there is still demonstration outside randomly. I prefer not to take the risk and bid this hotel.

Any recommendation on what else to bid on?

You can't just bid for a particular hotel. You have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone you bid, at the star level you bid or at a higher star level (an upgrade).

There are 4*s and 5*s, and then there are the Resorts. The Resorts act like 4 1/2* hotels. So, if you bid on a 4*, Priceline can upgrade you. An upgrade can be either a Resort (since 4 1/2 is higher than 4), or a 5*.

Therefore, if you are looking for free rebid zones for a 4* bid, you can't use any zone that has 4*, Resort or 5* availability.

The Hyatt Regency is a 4* hotel that just happens to have the word "resort" in its name. It had been classed as a Resort, but Priceline chose to reduce its star level.

Hope that clears things up for you.

For Honolulu, there are three free re-bid zones when bidding at the 4* level. If you are unsure, post back the ones you think are OK and somebody will double check them for you.

At the moment, the Hyatt Regency is the only reported 4* for the area, so that helps your chances of getting it. But it is always possible for a new hotel to show up.

I'll let somebody else address the quality and other questions.

Romelle

I clicked on your links. I went all the way up to $142 for 8 nights no luck for beach waikiki resort. I notice from history marriot waikiki resort is around $90-$126. I added 4 star which is basically hyatt regency resort went all the way up to $130 no luck.

I am so lost now I dont want to over pay. My last option would be adding the waikiki central area for 4 star most likely hilton waikiki.

How is the marriot waikiki resort compared to hyatt regency resort? location wise, food, shopping, beach

For June 25-July 3, Hotwire has a 4* Waikiki Marina area at $140, and a 4* Waikiki Beach at $171. When I shift to June 26-July 4, the 4* Waikiki Beach is no longer available. What dates are you actually bidding?

Are you always bidding all 8 days at once? You might try splitting your bid - 4/4, 3/5 or 5/3. Sometimes a particular hotel won't have the full range of dates available but you can still get it for a shorter block. Splitting your bid would of course likely involve a move, but you could look at it as an opportunity to see another interesting hotel.

And of course if you are successful with one block of days, but stuck for the remainder, you could explore the 3.5*s or Hotwire or the Central zone you mentioned.

Have you checked what the hotel web site rates are?

Romelle

Right now I am only trying to Waikiki Beach which is my first choice. I dont mind the Waikiki Central as second option if the location is still close to everything.

I was hoping to get a deal like others for bidding $130 = $1210 after fees. Bidding $140 is already at $1303 after fees. My budget is around $1400 right now.

At the moment i think it will likely cost between $145-$165 for these dates, the question is whether you want to stretch your budget OR wait it out and hope for lower prices in the weeks ahead. Other options (now or down the road if still unsuccessful) include lowering your star rating, including other nearby zones, or SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks thereuare

I am surprised when I bid up to $148 priceline didn't send me a offer to increase by $10-$20. Does that mean I am quite far?

I guess I am going to keep trying these couple of days. I don't really want to go over $1400 but I might go up to $1450 if I get desperate. Normally I don't panic but when I look online Sheraton, Outrigger and others are not available for my dates now. Do they normally get this full or is it because of tours still holding on to rooms until a certain period? I read that they don't release the holds until 2-3 weeks left.

One doesn't necessarily get those counter-offers before having a bid succeed. I've had a number of bids where there was no indication I was close. Just that next increment (usually $1 in my case) and bingo! You aren't necessarily that far.

Have you considered splitting your bid into a couple of shorter time ranges? That technique can often lead to success.

Romelle

Update

waikiki beach resort level up to $156 fail split various dates up

waikiki beach added 4* level $136 fail (not bidding up as high as resort because of hyatt's $18 fee)

You should probably do a little more research on the hotels you are likely to win as most of them will likely have a resort fee. Wouldn't want you to win one at $156 and then be upset when you're stuck with a $20+/- unexpected resort fee on top of that.

Now I am starting to wonder how come it's so expensive compared to other winners

It's not really that high as we've certainly seen it take more than you've currently bid to win a hotel at these star levels in these zones. I'm currently seeing hotel direct rates for your dates at $250+ so you're bids are still ~$100 less (and a 40% discount, which is not uncommon but also not always possible) than a traditionally booked room for these dates.

I think you may have two factors working against you...

1) your have an 8 nite stay that begins and ends in the middle of the week, which can be more difficult than a Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun trip. You mention that you've tried SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID but didn't say what date combinations you've used and just how few nites you have bid for each segment of the trip

2) you're hitting a time just after many kids end school and begin summer vacation. Many families may use this as an end of school 'reward' and take a family vacation this week. Add this to increased travel due to the July 4th holiday and you have a few reasons why hotels aren't willing to off too deep of a discount at this point in time.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the good tips

Right now Ive tried breaking it up June 26-June 30, June 26-July 1, June 26-July 3

Waikiki Beach Resort $161+$10 Bonus = $171 No luck

Waikiki Beach 4* $141+10 Bonus = $151 No luck

I find this quite high now the bids. I really dont know how much they would expect any idea? if Expedia is showing approx $250ish for these dates

I'm currently seeing hotel direct rates for your dates at $250+ so you're bids are still ~$100 less (and a 40% discount, which is not uncommon but also not always possible) than a traditionally booked room for these dates.

From the hotel's perspective, taking into consideration the higher than usual travel period (family vacations and holiday travel), if they feel they can fill rooms at a premium price on their own, why offer a deep discount a month in advance... they'd prefer to try and hold onto those rooms in hopes of filling them on their own at full price.

Perhaps if they don't take in the number of reservations expected in the next few weeks they may be inclined to try to increase occupancy by offer a deeper discount thru the opaque suppliers, but with demand strong for these dates they probably feel little reason to do so at this time.

Do you currently have a back-up plan or a fully refundable reservation?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Update for anyone that is interested in these dates.

Waikiki Beach Resort went up to $180 fail tried splitting in multiple ways

Waikiki Beach 4* $165 fail tried splitting too

Waikiki Central 4* $135 fail

No luck again like what you said I think they are super busy

Most non-opaque sites offer rates which are both refundable and non-refundable, you need to see the terms of the rate before you book (and i would even pay $10-$20 more for a refundable rate at this point in time, unless it's a deal better than you've currently been bidding).

You can use our MAPS and HOTELS.com as it enables you to easily see how much more/less it would cost to go up/down in star rating or stay closer/further from your desired location. You'll need to 'click thru' to the hotel to see the refundability terms at each price point.

Final Update

Waikiki Beach Resort $190 fail

Waikiki Beach 4* $171 fail

Waikiki Central 4* 160 fail

I really appreciate all the help from this forum. I am so glad I found a deal at a travel agency for Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach for $1700.

Thank you all the help!!

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]