Priceline Hotel: 4/5* NYC Aug. 15 to Aug. 18

Chameleon
By Chameleon,
in

Hi thereuare,

I am looking at bidding the second half of a split booking 4/5* NYC Aug. 15 to Aug. 18 .

You were very helpful in my first bid which landed me with 3 nights at the Intercontinental The Barclay @175 US$/night from 8/12 to 08/15.

Now on to the second half, here are the key issues:

1) I have a back up booking with a 2.5* at 140US$/night.

2) my motivation is to upgrade to a 4 or 5 star without spending (much) more. Say 150 US$/night. If I win at that price, great. If I fail, never mind, I already have one nice hotel in the first half of my trip.

3) I am already spending 3 nights in MTE and I still want to be close to the center but I don't mind trying a different neighborhood. I don't know Manhattan, but should I assume all Priceline areas are appropriate for sightseeing except Downtown? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I put myself into your capable hands. Looking forwards to reading your startegy.

Chameleon

Hi thereuare,

besides my search for the second hotel of my split bid, can you (or other readers) recommend:

1)decent, value-for-money home-cooked places which can be found near our first hotel (the Intercontinental the Barclay 111 east 48th Street)?

2)with regards to evening entertainment, any music clubs playing familiar, popular covers-stuff (billy Joel, Elvis, the Doors ...ecc...).

3)Some high-brow evening entertainment (Opera or Ballet or Classical Music) which could be appreciate by someone without extended knowledge of these Arts?

I hope this the right place to file this request, otherwise let me know.

thanks,

Chameleon

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Let us know how the above goes.

As far as music, two of my favorite things to do are Cafe Wha and Rose's Turn, both of which are in THEREUARE's LOCAL THINGS TO DO IN NYC. Since you're on a budget, note the "no cover" at Cafe Wha on Wed. and Sunday nites. I'll also add The Back Fence (on Bleeker, a few blocks East of McDougal) to the list, where there is a small stage and usually a duo of varying talent playing acoustic guitar.

Not sure what you mean by "home cooking" (food that tastes like mom used to make or mac 'n cheese, meatloaf, mashed potatos, etc)... but generally to get excellent value you have to head south towards the village or head towards hell's kitchen (44th St and Ninth Ave). Once again, NYC is a different animal than most places, and value is very relative... you had best put a dollar figure to it.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereyouare,

Thanks for the strategy which I will try when I get home tonight.

Just a few questions:

I notice you did not include MTS in your bidding. Is that because do you not recommend it to a sightseeing visitor like me? If not, would including it in the strategy improve my bidding chances? Correct me if I am wrong, but is it just a question of adding a paragraph in the "first act" and "second act" and then summing it to the other three in the "final act"?

Thanks for your music club advice which I will definetly check out.

I have also read your "THEREUARE's LOCAL THINGS TO DO IN NYC. " but I'd like to go deeper with regards to the "high-brow" entertainment (classical music, Opera and Ballet) and also the good food for less than 25 US$/head section.

Can you recommend other travel sites or forums gviving advice on these topics?

Thanks as ever,

Chameleon

Not sure i understand your question about the 'first act' and 'second act'.... but the bidding strategy is simply a systematic way of bidding to help get the best price. MTS is too large... the northern end of the zone is good for the typical tourist, but the southern end of the zone is not ideal. As well, as the 4* level it is typically very expensive.

I'm not the most 'high-brow' person so i'm not in the loop regarding that scene, but i have gone to a few events at Julliard where you can see their students perform... likely to be 'professional calibur' given the tallent of their students and a fraction of the price of other performances. Not too much going on with them during the summer, but you can do a CALENDAR SEARCH at their website and i see there is one event during your stay (the 14th, part of your first bid) which is free and held at the MOMO... so you can "kill two birds with one stone."

Eats under $25 i have mentioned a few that are noteworth, although few fall into the romantic category...

Becco - many like but i'm not a fan... they have a 3 course pasta dinner for $22 or so with unlimited pasta, as well as an extensive wine list with bottles at $20 (or so, i forget the actual price). I wasn't impressed but many like it, but by the time you walk out your still often at the $70+ price range.

Chinatown - plenty of places with great food within the budget

Theater District - lots of pre-theater specials if you walk the area 44th-48th St between 8th Ave and 9th Ave

Try CitySearch for other recommendations.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

I followed your july 18th strategy and was REJECTED @ 150 US$ for 4* MTE, MTW, UM/CPS (plus Zone 1 and 2) dates Aug. 15 to Aug. 18.

I still have my 2.5* cancellable back-up at the Stanford hotel in Koreatown 43west 32nd street at 139 US$ including Breakfast.

I also have the first part of my split bid in swanky Intercontinental the Barclay @175 US$ dates Aug 12 to 15th.

SO, what are my options:

1) wait until the last days before departure and try again? Do you think some last-minute better price will appear on the market?

2) raise my bid after 72 hours? ...I only want to go up by 10-20 US$ Max. Is that likely to get me anywhere?

3) Beekman towers via EasyClickTravel 1 bedroom suite @168 US$/night. Looks good, though not too central. Can you confirm that it is within a 10-15 min walk to Time Square? They claim it includes a fully kitted kitchen, so would be it realistic to heat up a couple (locally purchased) easy meals and thereby save on food costs? Also easy-click seem to offer full refund prior to the 72 hour before check-in which is nice because it takes out the cancellation or no-show risk (life is full of last minute surprises and that way I would'nt risk losing my 600 US$).

What do you think is my best choice?

looking forwards to your feedback,

Chameleon

Whether you raise your bid or not if a personal decision based upon your own budget.

The Beekman's kitchen should be sufficient to make whatever it is you'd like. The hotel is a converted apartment buidilng, so you'll have all the features of somebody that once lived in Manhattan.

To walk to Times Square is closer to 15-20 minutes rather than 10-15 minutes. It's an easy walk, but you'll also probably have unlimited metrocards which you purchased for your stay, and there is a subway 6-7 minutes away as well as a bus right near the hotel... both of which can take you to Times Square.

If you're interested in heading into Hoboken one nite, there are two very nice restaurants, each of which offer an 'early bird' which are great deals... one of them is $25/couple (i think... the food here is a little too 'high brow' for me so i don't usually eat there) while the other is $13.50/pp and the portions are huge (regular sized). It'll cost you another $1.50/pp each way on the PATH, but restaurants can be much cheaper here than in Manhattan and it's a nice evening to have an inexpensive meal and also see the NYC Skyline (some cheap Happy Hour prices too for drinks!) As well, there are a few 'events' during the week in the summer, the best of which is on Wednesday nite "Movies Under the Stars" where they show a movie outdoors at the park with the Skyline in the background... a good time, especially if you like the movie :)

Thereuare,

thanks for the feedback.

So far:

I have been rejected @ 150 US$ for 4* MTE, MTW, UM/CPS (plus Zone 1 and 2) dates Aug. 15 to Aug. 18.

I still have my back up @139 US$ for 2,5*.

What do you recommend as my next bidding strategy ? Should I:

1) wait 72 hours and raise? What you do think is likely a winning bid for that time of the year?

2) wait till the last few days before my departure to catch some last-minute discounts?

3) go for the Beekman @ 168 US$/night?

thanks for your feedback,

Marc

Hi thereuare,

Please correct me if I have mis-understood, but, I think you are suggesting that:

1) if I decide my budget can rise, then I should re-bid up after 72 hours and up to my new ceiling.

2) there is no particular benefit in expecting last minutes discounts.

3) the Beekman is good value for money at 168 US$.

I appreciate you are busy so I am OK with just some Yes and No answers.

As ever, I will work through Savingsbarn and thanks for your help.

Marc

Yes, if you want to raise your bid, then adjust your bidding strategy accordingly up to your new limit.

There is no telling if rates will suddenly drop at the last minute or not... this is generally not the case as hotels are constantly guaging their supply/demand situation and adjusting prices accordingly. Most hotels won't know how many rooms they will have unsold by the time check-in date comes around, but they do have an idea that "we're busy" or "we're slow" and they adjust rates accordingly. Right now it appears that most are hotels will be "busy" and rates are up accordingly. If this trend continues rates will continue to rise and hotels will ultimately sell-out... if booking come to a screaching hault then rates may soften depending upon just how many rooms are left. As nobody knows how many people will book a room at a given hotel tomorrow, there is no telling if rates will drop going forward.

I believe the BEEKMAN is a good deal, not just because the reviews are so positive and the room is so large, but also because the rate is cancellable (up to 72 hours before check-in date)... gives you the ability to know you have a place to stay, as well as continue to pursue other options (even if that other option is just to wait and see if rates drop).

Hi Thereuare,

Just to close to information loop on this thread, I've ended up booking the three nights of the 15th to 18th of August at the Beekman through EasyClickTravel @168 US$/night.

You help and advice was very useful (it was your forum which got me onto the Beekman and EasyClickTravel - which actually shows how impartial you are).

Please let me know if I can be of any help to the forum.

Chameleon

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]