Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) The Blackstone Renaissance Chicago Hotel

Canada2012
By Canada2012,
in

First and foremost I want to thank all of you for helping me with my bidding for my first ever trip to Chicago. I liked the 3 days I was there, even though it rained most of the time, and have now booked another 3 day trip during the weekedays this time with a co-worker. Tue August 14th-Fri August 17th.

What would the hotel rates be like for that time? Anything like conventions or festivals happening? Enjoyed staing at the Renaissance Downtown Chicago, what a location it was. I was within walking distance of everything, loved it. Not sure of I could get it for that $103 a night win again but damn I would stay there again no problem.

Thanks again guys!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Renaissance - that is a terrific, central location for seeing the city.

You miss the Lollapalooza Festival (which is one of the worst periods of the year for hotels) the week before and the Air/Water show (which doesn't have much of a hotel effect) the days after your stay (although you may see practice runs on the 17th, if you happen to be in the Gold Coast area.) Rates for this period aren't traditionally too bad, although they do look a tad higher than normal this year. You do have time to try starting low and working higher - what would be your desired max bid per night, and would both the River North-NMA and Millennium Park-Loop-GP zones be acceptable?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Either location zone is fine. Would a max of say $120 a night be fine? After I walked all over the place Saturday afternoon after I checked in and on Monday early evening after the rain stopped, everything is so conveniently located, I now know my way around pretty good. Although yes Renaissance is located perfectly. I walked over to House Of Blues, Hooters and Hard Rock so easily. Also I liked how the subways were so close to attend my two events on the Sunday, that was great.

The seat sales here in Toronto for Porter Airlines are so low and ends tomorrow May 7th, so we figured doing 3 weekdays will be fine and I booked it today.

I think you have a chance at a 4* at $120 or less, but with plenty of time on you side it would seem a reasonable maximum bid to begin with. Also, since you're traveling with a co-worker, just a reminder that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy which means you could receive a room with only one bed.

When bidding 4* in Chicago you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $103, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $103, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $120

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you click the 'See all' link under the amenities, do you see more than what you've included above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

That is all it says, I am wondering if this is the Congress Hotel or Travelodge? I am checking out Hotwire first before I decide to bid on Priceline.

There is also Mag Mile North-Water Tower Area 3* for $101/night Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Restaurant. Hotwire says it is listed at $198 on other sites

There is also Mag Mile-River North Area 3.5* for $111/night Free Internet, Bputique Hotel,Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access

The 3* Downtown-MP-GP has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board - I'm also seeing "internet" when clicking "see details" and then "see all amenities." However, the 3/5 tripadvisor rating makes me very concerned that this may be either the Congress or Travelodge - and I would definitely NOT recommend either. Both of those properties would be more accurately - in my opinion - 2*.

The 3* MMN-Water Tower is a likely match for the Tremont, which would not be a great option, but would be a better option than either the Travelodge or Congress both from a location and hotel standpoint.

The 3.5* Mag Mile-River North is a possible match for Hotel 71, which is what I'd recommend of the three options.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I am wondering if I should book the $111 seen as the location is good and the price would probably be pretty close to what is probably going to get accepted on Priceline bidding. The location is very much like the Renaissance Downtown on Wacker. So what do you advise here? $400 it comes to for the three nights, so $200 a person.

I am wondering if I should book the $111 seen as the location is good and the price would probably be pretty close to what is probably going to get accepted on Priceline bidding. The location is very much like the Renaissance Downtown on Wacker. So what do you advise here? $400 it comes to for the three nights, so $200 a person.

The Hotel 71 is a 3.5* on PRICELINE, but there are a number of 3.5*'s in the zone that are not nearly as well-located. Out of the three HOTWIRE options you listed, the potential 71 would be - I think - the best. You could possibly get a 4* in the NMA-River North area on PRICELINE for around this price point, although I think given the fact that the Felix is showing on HOTWIRE for $130, that that may be the possible result on PRICELINE.

If you enjoyed the location of the Renaissance, if the HOTWIRE 3.5* is the Hotel 71, 71 is only a few blocks East of the Renaissance.

I did enjoy the location of the Renaissance indeed. I walked in every direction and had no problem. This is a tough one because Hotel Felix I read has some small rooms, I would like to get the renaissance again as the room was fantastic. So this is a tough one. Hotel 71 has some good reviews, is in the same area basically as Renaiassance. Hmmm....

Now I have never booked on HOTWIRE before, and they say for the 3.5* Mag Mile Hotels inclue Hyatt Hotels, Embassy Suite Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Doubletree Hotels, Westin Hotels and other independent and name brand hotels. Isn't the Hyatt a bit out of the way?

I remember seeing Essex Inn, Palmer House, Hotel Felix, Hotel Sax, Hotel 71 and Marriot around near where the Renaissance is.

The Felix does have small rooms and has gotten mixed reviews. I like the location between River North and the upper half of the Michigan Ave. shopping area, but reviews remain iffy and the rooms are small (this was a former (and older) budget property that was revamped, and I'm guessing they probably didn't change the pre-existing room size/layout.) If the other HOTWIRE listing is 71, that is more centrally located in terms of the city as a whole.

As an FYI you don't need to wait 24 hours to bid the Loop zone as that is a different zone and would be treated as an entirely new bids.

As well, if you bid Loop:

Bid $75- rejected

Bid $80 with rebid- rejected

Bid $85 with rebid- rejected

Bid $88 with rebid- rejected

Bid $90 with rebid- rejected

Bid $92 with rebid- rejected

Bid $95 with rebid- rejected

You could then also (without waiting 24 hours) re-try:

Loop and NMA

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As an FYI you don't need to wait 24 hours to bid the Loop zone as that is a different zone and would be treated as an entirely new bids.

As well, if you bid Loop:

Bid $75- rejected

Bid $80 with rebid- rejected

Bid $85 with rebid- rejected

Bid $88 with rebid- rejected

Bid $90 with rebid- rejected

Bid $92 with rebid- rejected

Bid $95 with rebid- rejected

You could then also (without waiting 24 hours) re-try:

Loop and NMA

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Bid $xx

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

I didn't have time to do The Loop bids so I figured I would wait until tonight. Also I have had to do Jury Selection this week, day 2 tomorrow, ugh! Haven't been picked yet..

Will do The Loop when I get home. Hoping for The Renaissance again. But highly doubt it of Hotel Felix is going for $130 on Hotwire.

Ok recapping my bids:

NMA Area:

Bid $75- rejected

Bid $80 with Franklin rebid- rejected

Bid $85 with Skokie rebid- rejected

Bid $88 with Hyde Park rebid- rejected

Bid $90 with Lincoln Park rebid- rejected

Bid $92 with Midway North rebid- rejected

Bid $95 with The Loop rebid- rejected

The Loop Area:

Bid $70- rejected

Bid $75 with Skokie rebid- rejected

Bid $80 with Hyde Park rebid- rejected

Bid $85 with Lincoln Park rebid- rejected

Bid $88 with Franklin rebid- rejected

Bid $90 with Midway North rebid- rejected

Bid $95 with NMA--- ACCEPTED

Although not the Renaissance I was hoping for and a bit away from everything as opposed to the other one, but still close to the attractions. My co-workers has never been so she will want to do the attractions and I didn't get to check out alot that i wanted to in this area. So it seems like it will be a nice hotel. Would like to get two beds but if I can't then the King is fine.

Total with taxes for the 3 nights is $339.99....Not bad.

Once again everyone thanks alot! My 2nd Chicago trip will be a blast for sure staying in a good hotel.

Congrats on your success. :)

Certainly a very nice deal for this historic property - it's on the opposite side of the zone from the Renaissance (the South end of the Loop vs North end at the Renaissance) This area can be quiet at night, but it is close to transit and not a far walk from museums. If you need any suggestions, please let us know what you would be interested in terms of likes/dislikes (on sites, food.)

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

This is a funny thing on my last trip. I had walked down to Millenium Park from The Renaissance on Wacker. I love walking all over and actually prefer it. As I get to explore the city and get a feel for it. Anyhow I took pics at Millenium Park and walked along etc, and did not even realize I was a hop, step and jump from Grant Park and the Buckingham Fountains. So I walked over to the Sears Tower, and went there, and walked along Wacker back to The R afterwards. So then on my way to the airport in the shuttle we pass the fountains, and I thought "huh?" and I find out that is where Grant Park is. So now I have to see Grant Park, Buckingham Fountains, Navy Pier and Museums for sure. LOL.

As for quiet at night, I walked out of the blue line around 11:30pm on the Sunday after coming back from the Allstate Arena and it didn't make me nervous at all.

Maybe one of the terrific people on here can tell me this. I had bid up to $95 in the NMA zone with rebids and the last rebid was with The Loop for $95 but I never got anything.

Then the next day I bid up to $95 in The Loop zone and when I added NMA as a rebid for $95 I got the Blackstone Renaissance which is in The Loop zone.

Also do you think it is a better hotel than the Renaissance on Wacker? Just curious as I stayed there in April and I want to see what everyone thinks here.

Thanks again.

Regarding your bidding, it's likely that the hotel released lower priced inventory to PRICELINE between the time your first bid was rejected and the time you bid again the following day.

I'll leave it to AaronJB or somebody else more local to the area than i am to comment on the pros/cons of each property.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]