Priceline Hotel: Newbie question: there are five 4*s listed in Boston Common - is there any way to avoid the cheapest one?

neverpaysfullprice
By neverpaysfullprice,
in

I am a first-time user of Priceline or Hotwire. After reading all of the tips and advice here, I did my homework and think I have identified most of the hotels in the Boston Common area for one night this Saturday, May 12. 2012. According to Hotwire, they are:

Hyatt $169

Parker House: $199

W: $279

90: $299

XV Beacon: $425

The problem is that a TA search uncovers big problems at the Hyatt - the lobby is under construction and the walls in the room are paper-thin (probably why the current rates are so low). Thus, I would like to avoid this one hotel at all costs. I am curios if there is a bidding strategy that would avoid the Hyatt? I know I must bid over $169. Can you suggest a bid that would more likely win the W or 90 or should I bid $200 or over to assure one of them? Also, I am unclear at what point in the bidding process am I committed? Once a bid is accepted, or do I have a chance to accept the accepted bid?

Thanks for any guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) You don't need to bid over $169 necessarily to win at Priceline. On average, Priceline wins are about 20% less than Hotwire's prices, but this varies.

2.) You'd have to look at which hotels are within Priceline's different zones. I believe the Hyatt you're referring to is in the Common/Theater District zone - if you bid in that zone and select 4 star, you commit to accepting ANY 4 star hotel within that area.

You're committed as soon as you click "buy my hotel room now" on Priceline. It clearly states that if one of Priceline's hotels in the area accepts your bid, that's it - no changes or cancellations allowed. There's no way to guarantee getting one hotel over another within the same star rating and same zone. The only way to ensure you don't get the Hyatt is to either not bid within that zone entirely or pay retail for one of the other hotels. Bidding over $200 will not ensure you get one of the other hotels - you could end up getting the Hyatt and simply overpaying for it.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

It's highly recommended NOT to try to overbid to avoid a particular property; you can definitely still get the hotel you were trying to avoid. There have been instances of prices higher than regular rate being accepted by a hotel. If you are trying to avoid a particular property, HOTWIRE *may* be a better option, as you can make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing - although the one showing at the desired star rating in the desired zone may be the one you are trying to avoid.

As noted, once you click to submit your bid, the service searches to see if a hotel will accept - if one does, you are locked into that hotel at that rate for those dates. The list of hotels in the area that have been reported to the board can be found here: Priceline Hotel List MA. There may be others not yet reported to the board.

Which zones would you be interested in bidding for (and willing to potentially accept any hotel in the zone at the 4* rating if you are bidding for 4*), or would you rather look into HOTWIRE?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]