Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Intercontinental Chicago

kevinwangjk
By kevinwangjk,
in

I'm taking my girlfriend to Chicago 5/18 - 5/20 weekend to eat at Alinea restaurant. Now I'm trying to find a good hotel deal.

I want to have a at least 4 star hotel in either the Mag Mile or Loop area. It's going to be 2ppl/1bed. When should I book to get a better deal according to your experience? I never really book many hotels before. Also, should I use Hotwire or Priceline? If Priceline, what price range should I use?

Thank you so much for your help!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

PRICELINE has cheaper rates, but the issue becomes if you bid - for example - a 4* in the River North/NMA area, then you have to be willing to accept any 4* in the area. HOTWIRE is usually at least somewhat more expensive, but you can often make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing - while no guarantee, there's a better chance you may get something more to your liking. I'd recommend staying North of the river. There are no 5*'s on HOTWIRE or PRICELINE in Chicago.

What would be your desired budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The FAQ discusses purchase timing in detail, but May is generally a busier season with nicer weather and more conventions.

I'm seeing what appears (the prices you see may vary slightly) to be on HOTWIRE:

The Intercontinental for $165.

A possible match for the Amalfi for $171. (if the Amalfi, more expensive but at least it would offer breakfast.)

A possible match for the Hyatt on Wacker for $160.

Regular rate, unfortunately most 4*'s are around/above $200.

If any of the above are of interest, let us know and we would be happy to note which listings may be the above. Otherwise, if you would be interested in using PRICELINE for a 4* in the River North-NMA area, I'd start at $100 and move up by $5's using re-bidding. Please let us know before bidding if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The prices for 3 hotels you listed on HOTWIRE are basically the same for me. I care most about the rooms tho. Do you know which hotel has better room in these 3? And would you suggest me to wait more for price drop or book now? Thanks again!

Aaron probably knows better, but I can give you my subjective assessment.

The Inter-Continental is a very impressive building, with a big front directly on Michigan Avenue. It has an interesting history and a striking and memorable swimming pool. It has some very nice rooms, but opaque customers are more likely to be put in the smaller rooms, which are nice but not as nice as the other two hotels. (In case you do book this and get a choice, you want to be in the Historic Tower, and to my mind it's worth paying $20 or $30 for an upgrade.)

The Hyatt has the rooms you would expect at a Hyatt -- very functional and comfortable and well-maintained but kind of cookie-cutter -- and the views are really amazing (esp. if you can get a high floor, of course).

I have not seen the rooms at the Amalfi, but it is a more personal, boutique-y hotel. The views are not going to be as good as the other two, but I think the rooms will have an elegant, signature touch.

One good thing: all three of these have incredibly good locations. Walking around this area at night is pretty dazzling (even for a native New Yorker like me!).

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the results and this property works well for your plans.

You can certainly call the hotel and request a room in the Historic Tower, but there is a good chance the hotel will state that they will note it on the reservation but no guarantees and that your room assigned will be based upon availability at the time of check-in. If that is the response, i would then let them know that you have some concerns regarding very small hotel rooms which can exist in many large cities and if it's possible to pay for an upgrade now to ensure something nice in the historic tower.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay... and good luck with the room assignment.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've stayed at this property and enjoyed it and have seen both towers. Personally, I didn't feel the upgrade is worth the money, as I thought the standard room that I got was just fine - maybe a little smaller than most rooms in the city, but not by all that much. I do think rooms may vary at this property, so your mileage may vary and your experience may differ when it comes to rooms.

I will say, however, that the one thing I would have liked to upgrade was the view, which stared square at the apartment building next door. My opinion: if you're going to be in the standard tower, do try to get a room on the front of the building facing out onto Michigan Ave or at least just not a room facing North right into the next-door building. The pool is really a must-see - you can practically feel the history in the room.

History of the property, which makes for interesting reading: Intercontinental Chicago

Thank you for telling others about Betterbidding, it's greatly appreciated. :)

There's a ton of restaurant options nearby (if you would like recommendations, let us know more about what you're looking for - likes/dislikes), but in terms of a nice breakfast spot, I like Fox and Obel Market and Cafe, which is a few minutes walk East - it's on the corner of Illinois and McClurg. The street that runs along the South side of the Intercontinental can be taken East, then it makes a turn towards NBC Tower. At that turn, there's a staircase down that goes down to Illinois. You can continue East on Illinois. West Egg Cafe is another option nearby on 620 Fairbanks and a particularly good other option is Xoco, a newer casual offering from famed Frontera Grill chef Rick Bayless. Xoco is a mild walk West - that's on 449 N Clark.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]