OH Columbus Hyatt on Capitol Square Downtown

Dawn
By Dawn,
in

Now that the trip is over, I just wanted to follow up on this hotel.

It's the Hyatt, and it's everything you expect from the Hyatt, very classy, with helpful and friendly staff. We received a standard room (choice of king or 2 double beds) when we checked in. This particular location is small, one of the smallest 'big name' hotels I've stayed in, only a few small sitting areas in the lobby but it was still very nice.

Special note for budget travelers: the hotel is attached to a downtown mall. Within 1 minute walking of the lobby you can be at the mall food court. I noted quite a few 'lunch' type places to eat. There was also the City Diner, suggested by the staff, which had decent food for under $5 a plate. It was convenient for a quick, cheap breakfast.

I would book this hotel again.

• 2 years later...

Stayed at Hyatt after a 3* bid and was upgraded to a 4* hotel. It gave me the Hyatt on Capitol Square.

All in all, it was decent place. I am not sure why it is 4* versus several others in the area rated 3* that seemed to be more recently upgraded and one in particular we spent a good amount of time in that was far nicer and rated 3*. I would call this Hyatt 3* solidly but by no means 4*.

The bad:

Serious problems with water temp changes in the shower. Huge temp swings to scalding hot and even when I turned the temp down, it stayed very hot. The drains were very slow as well. The shower head needed some cleaning as well. Ice maker out of order on our floor. Maid service did not resupply anything but towels on our stay. So, I drank the provided coffee on the first day and had none on the second day. Two vents were badly in need of cleaning. Heavy dust collection. Would liked to have had a pool for the child.

In all, the room was mostly clean and decent furnishings. Bed was good and the mattress was soft but firm.

The good:

The parking is $21/day for in and out valet. The guys at valet were very good. Very helpful. Made a couple of trips to the hotel just to change clothes and they held the car in front for us. It was usually retrieved in a timely manner as well. The front desk staff was pretty nice and got us what we needed in terms of rooms. Adjoining and in a quiet area.

Good people at the hotel. They have that going for them.

I would be happy to stay again but this would not be my first choice in the downtown area. Hyatt Regency or Crowne Plaza would be better as far as I am concerned. The Red Roof Inn seemed nice as well in that same area.

I got a good deal and that is fine. That is what it all comes down to.

• 3 months later...

I agree that this should be a 3*, not a 4*.

PROS:

Wonderful staff, professional and helpful

Good location, a few blocks from Short North, Arena District and German Village

Very comfortable bed with nice linens

Nice fountain in outside courtyard.

CONS:

We too had problems with shower and asked for an engineer to look into it.

Parking on site costs $$.

Outdated furnishings showing some wear.

Attached shopping area had quite a few empty stores up for lease, a bit run down.

Overall, not bad, but I don't believe it's a 4*.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]