Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Empire State Building) Affinia Dumont

Andretto
By Andretto,
in

I need a room in Manhattan from 9/29 till 10/4, then I'm moving to the Westin in Jersey City thanks to a succesful bid of $100 a night with the help of thereuare.

I'm looking preferably for a 4 star hotel in the vicinity of CPS, but since I understand it is an expesive time of the year, I could also settle for a nice 3* level in Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, LES, Soho, TS and CPS.

Any advice on prices or bidding strategies would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

From your previous thread you stated that you'll need two beds, which is something that can be very difficult and/or expensive in NYC since many hotels have a high percentage of rooms with only one bed and/or consider rooms with two beds an upgrade.

You can either take the risk of PRICELINE with only one bed OR search HOTWIRE for quad occupancy (2adults/2children) which should ensure you separate beds, although the second 'bed' may be a pullout sofabed, rollaway brought into the room, etc. Would this be an acceptable option?

Let us know your thoughts on the above as well as your maximum budget per nite and we'll see what your options are.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Searching HOTWIRE for 2adults/2children there is nothing at 3* or higher at $200 or less... the least expensive property is a 3* hotel in the Chelsea-MSG zone for $212/nite with Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. This property has not yet been reported to the board, but it does have a 4.0/5.0 Tripadvisor rating which is at least positive that the average user gives it a favorable rating. (if i were to take a shot at this one i think the Holiday Inn Express Times Square (W. 39th St) would be my guess for this one)

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't recall if mentioned in your previous thread or not, but at the 3.5* level under some issues to be aware of:

CPS - has the Hudson hotel and rooms are are EXTREMELY small (140sq. ft.). Basically the room is the bed with 12-18inches on each side of it. Given your original desire for two beds, is this a property you want to avoid (if so we'll need to exclude the entire zone from bidding)

MTE - some hotels at 3.5* and under can be a 15 minute walk from the subway... acceptable?

MSG - typically gets very good reviews but a few reports of 'priceline bias' where PRICELINE / HOTWIRE guests are given the smallest rooms in the house. Ability to upgrade by asking, complaining, or by paying an additional fee vary (likely based upon occupancy issues). Is this zone still ok to include?

Please confirm if you'd like the zones above included/excluded and we'll suggest a strategy with the zones that you're willing to accept.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

When bidding 3* in Manhattan you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* LES, Soho, TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* LES, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, Soho, TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, Soho, MSG, MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* LES, ESB, TS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, ESB, TS, MTW...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* LES, Soho, MSG...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* LES, Soho, MSG, MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, ESB, TS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, Soho, TS MTW...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* LES, ESB, MSG...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, Soho, TS MTW, ESB, MSG...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, Soho, TS MTW, ESB, LES...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, Soho, TS MTW, ESB, MSG, LES...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I got a little too anxious and made a bid without waiting for your strategy and ended up winning a bid at the Affinia Dumont 4* for $230 per night. Nothing too impresive but not bad, is it?

On another post I read that you mentioned that in the Affinia Manhattan they have a bias with PL/Hotwire and they give their costumers the smallest rooms. Is that also applicable at the Dumont? I am a little worried especially when I will have to ask for two separate beds. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again and sorry for not following exactly your strategy. :(

Congratulations on your success!

This is a GREAT hotel and i don't know of any 'priceline bias' that takes place at this property, service at the Dumont is usually top-notch. With this noted, two beds in Manhattan is often difficult because of the low percentage of rooms with two beds and because it's considered an upgrade at many properties, but you can always ask and hopefully the hotel will be able to accommodate your preferences (if not, asking to pay for an upgrade and then negotiating the quoted rate may help)

If you like burgers your a 2 minute walk from one of the best in the city:

Jackson Hole Wyoming

Third Ave at 35th St

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]