Priceline Hotel: Need recommendations 3*-4* for first time user

nel602
By nel602,
in

I will be going to Boston for the first time May 25-28.

We will be travelling with our infant son and will be using public transportation to get around.

Can someone please recommend the best area to stay in.

Preferably we would like a 3*-4* hotel, trying to stay with a budget of around $100/night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be going to Boston for the first time May 25-28.

We will be travelling with our infant son and will be using public transportation to get around.

Can someone please recommend the best area to stay in.

Preferably we would like a 3*-4* hotel, trying to stay with a budget of around $100/night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. To some extent it depends on what sorts of things you want to do. But in general, Quincy Market, Boston Commons, and Back Bay/Copley are the best areas for sight-seers. The next area I'd add would be Cambridge, but again that will depend on what you're interested in doing. All those areas are highly accessible to public transportation.

2. I don't think you're going to get in under $100 in late May. Remember, Boston will be just loaded with college graduations. You'll probably have to pay over $150, unless you stay in outlying areas.

After your rejected bid you were likely directed to one of two screens:

1) a list of 'retail' listings in the Boston area with hotel names and prices shown

2) a page with the 'opaque' zones, informing you that they couldn't find a hotel to accept your bid, but if if you can add zones, lower your star rating, or change your check-in or check-out date, you could bid again immediately

Did you see one of the above? Which zone(s) and star rating did you bid?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, I visited your PRICELINE link again and inputted my trip #.

I have selected 4*-3.5* with the following areas:

Boston Common - Theater District - $85 - rejected

Boston Common - Theater District, Quincy Market - Financial District - $90 - rejected

Boston Common - Theater District, Quincy Market - Financial District - $95 - rejected

Boston Common - Theater District, Quincy Market - Financial District, Beacon Hill - $95 - rejected

Boston Common - Theater District, Quincy Market - Financial District, Beacon Hill, Copley Square - Back Bay - $95 - rejected

I will try again for the above tomorrow at a bid of $100?

How likely would I be to secure a room in the same area/price range if I were to drop to a 3* rating?

How much of a difference is there from 3* to 3.5* in the downtown Boston area?

Thanks!

Are you familiar with re-bidding as you don't appear to be using your re-bid zones. If not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding (highly recommended if you're new to the concept)

While possible, based upon current rates if you lower to 3* my guess would be that you have less than a 50/50 chance at success. What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is the first time I am using priceline.

The preferred zones for our stay are the following: Boston Common - Theater District, Quincy Market - Financial District, Beacon Hill, Copley Square - Back Bay.

Which other areas can I use just for rebidding if i use 3.5* minimum.

Best I can find which is acceptable is the Hilton in Financial District for $160/night (hotels.com)

Can you outline a bidding strategy for me if I am going about this all wrong!

Thanks again.

You are not "...going about this all wrong". You have the basics just fine.

The free re-bidding is a more advanced technique thereuare is suggesting. The reference he sites has a thorough explanation. In essence, you want to look on the Priceline bidding screen for those Boston zones that do NOT have 3 1/2* or higher bidding. You need to check and uncheck each zone one at a time to determine this. When you have a list of those zones you believe are correct, if you post that list back here somebody will double check your understanding.

It is important you know how to determine this yourself, because things change and you need to make the check before each bidding session. Hint - at the moment there are five available zones.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle,

I was able to identify the areas you mentioned that are 3* or below.

I think i understand this more advanced technique now.

I will give it another shot and see what I come up with.

For anyone who is familiar with Boston, how convenient are the following areas:

Boston Waterfront - Convention Center

Boston Harbor Front - Aquarium

(remember i'll be travelling with an infant and need access to public transportation.

Thanks for everyone's help.

All of the 'known' hotels in the Convention Center zone are close to the Silver Line T stop, although this isn't the best of lines as you may need to make a transfer to many of the locations you may ultimately be heading. I don't know as much about the Aquarium zone, but just from looking at a map (and observing T stop locations) the issue here would be the size of the zone... given that your hotel could be anywhere in the zone there is no way to assure that you'll be near a T stop.

The Boston Common, Copley Square and Quincy Market zones are the 'main' zones in this area and the most frequently bid by the typical visitor. Waterfront is do-able for the right price, but it's certainly not as convenient as these other three, and is very quiet on the weekends (ie- there isn't much around in the immediate area)

Let us know which zone(s) you'd like to include going forward and we'll take it from there. However, i'll add that i think you're likely going to need to go higher than your current $100/nite budget.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Support Page link to Hotels.com should you go that route)

Thanks.

As thereuare notes, the Convention Center area is dull and not convenient (except that it is convenient to the airport). The Harbor/Aquarium area is much nicer. In that zone, the Inter-Continental is a couple of blocks from South Station, the Long Wharf Marriott is right next to the Aquarium, but the Fairmont is not convenient to the T (although its neighborhood is pleasant and they will give you bicycles to use while you're there!). I'd give the Aq/Harbor area a shot, myself, since in the worst case you'd end up taking a few taxis, which wouldn't be so terrible.

I have not had any success with my bidding, i have bid up to $150 and still unsuccessful and no counter offers.

I just went back onto PRICELINE and HOTWIRE to search the more conventional methods and was able to find:

Hyatt Regency Boston - $177/night

Omni Boston Parker House - $169/night

Hilton Boston Financial District - $159/night

I was about to book the Hilton at $159 but wanted to get the experts opinions?

Of the 3 properties, which one would you guys suggest? (trip advisor ranks them all very closely)

Since the $159 is so close to my max bid recently, am I just better off booking this through the more conventional routes?

Thanks again everyone for their feedback.

I have not had any success with my bidding, i have bid up to $150 and still unsuccessful and no counter offers.

When was the last time you bid and at what star rating and zones did you include? Based upon current rates i would think that you would have been successful at $150 or less.

PS- you can also use our MAPS and HOTELS.com site to easily see each property on a map (just click the hotel name on the left side of the page to have it show on the map)

I tried bidding again just before my last post - using 4* in the following zones:

Boston Common - Theater District, Beacon Hill, Quincy Market - Financial District as the areas I am willing to accept (but also rebid up to $150 using the 5 rebidding zones)

I would have thought as well that i would be successful around the $120-130 bid but surprisingly enough, nothing.

If you book conventionally, making absolutely sure it is cancelable, you could continue seeking a better deal via bidding until the very last. You've over a month until your trip, and sometimes hotels don't give rooms to Priceline until late in the game.

On the other hand, when traveling with my grandkids, I've valued a sure thing over $$ and made sure the hotel I booked would work well for them. Have you noticed the links on the Support Page to many hotels/cars/planes/etc.?

Romelle

If any of the rates above are cancelable i'd book one of those (and if all are non-refundable i'd make a reservation at a slightly higher price to have the refundable option) as your stay is still about 6 weeks away and unless prices move higher from here, i think you should be successful on PRICELINE (or HOTWIRE) in the coming weeks.

If you end up picking among these, I would slightly favor the Omni, for its slightly better location (close to Commons and historic sights and the Park St T station) and the nice historic feel of the building. And be sure to join Omni's "Select Guest" program if you do book the Omni (even if you get it through an opaque site), because you get surprisingly valuable freebies.

You wouldn't go wrong with the Hilton either -- an Art Deco building and close to the Aquarium and Quincy Market. And the Hyatt Regency is close to the Boston Public Garden and Back Bay.

Thanks for the tips crito.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference?

As someone who has been to Boston before (by the sounds of it) you would still favour Omni?

Other factors, we will be traveling with an infant and will need access to public transportation.

Just try rebidding, and went up to $150 and still no success.

When would I see counter offers? Are they emailed to me?

I'm thinking to just book with the provided rates from Priceline as opposed to risking it and waiting.

It is the Memorial Day long weekend.

I just went back onto PRICELINE and HOTWIRE to search the more conventional methods and was able to find:

Hyatt Regency Boston - $177/night

Omni Boston Parker House - $169/night

Hilton Boston Financial District - $159/night

If any of the rates above are cancelable i'd book one of those (and if all are non-refundable i'd make a reservation at a slightly higher price to have the refundable option)

I'm thinking to just book with the provided rates from Priceline as opposed to risking it and waiting.

Did you book anything above that is fully refundable? If so, where and how much... if not, using MAPS and HOTELS.com and BiddingHelper.com, what is the best rate you're currently able to find an acceptable property?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]