Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile

blblglgl
By blblglgl,
in

I'm going to take my 4 yr daughter to visit field museum, shed aquarian, etc and doesn't have a car, so prefer to stay as close as to all attractions.

I've tried bidding for the last few days with no luck so far. I started my bid at $80, and have gone up to $145. I even tried to 3 and 3.5 star for the price of $110, still failed. Does anyone know why? Any suggestions? Thanks

The G8/NATO summit will be in the city over these dates and i'd imagine this is effecting rates in a big way.

At the moment i'd guess a 3.5* or 4* will likely run about $160-$185 while a 3* may be ~$150 or so.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The places we will go are Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, The Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, John Hancock Observatory and Skydeck Chicago. Do you have any suggestions of where to stay? I will say it's Ok as long as there's no transfer involved since there's 4 yr old with me. I also see hotwire offers $107 for a 3 star hotel in Museum Campus - McCormick Place - Soldier Field area, should I take it? Thanks

The ideal location(s) would be the Mag Mile, North Michigan Ave, and The Loop... I suspect that anything else will be at least 'a little out of the way', but given the governmental meeting, you may have not too much of a choice in order to stay within budget.

However, as far as the Museum Campus-McCormick Place-Soldier Field zone i'll leave it to AaronJB to comment as he is local to this area. In the meantime, if you include the amenities that HOTWIRE associates with the property above we may be able to take an educated guess as to what it is, which could give insight as to other aspects of this hotel such as proximity to the train and some of your other destinations.

Lastly, don't understimate trains and 4 year olds... s/he may enjoy the train ride more than some of the museums, aquariums, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

3-star Hotel in Museum Campus - McCormick Place - Soldier Field features the following amenities:

Boutique Hotel Property offers a distinctive, unique or eclectic atmosphere. Many boutique hotels are smaller, hip properties in an urban setting, or renovated hotels with historical flair.

Smoke Free Rooms Guest rooms at this hotel are always smoke-free.

Fitness Center Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s) Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-Speed Internet Access Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Can you guess what hotel is, so I can look at map to have some idea of distance.

Thanks

My guess would be the South Loop Hotel. There's really nothing much around this property, and it's a ways from downtown (definitely *not* walkable.) This is a reasonable rate, but definitely not an optimal location. Reviews for this property really differ between Tripadvisor and Yelp reviews.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Some of the reviews said there are bedbugs and the neighborhood is not safe either. Maybe that's why the price is so cheap. I definitely doesn't want to stay there. I think I'm going to stick with 4 stars. Do you know anything about 4 starts in Greater Chicago or Midway Airport Area (MDW)? Are they convenient to take trains to go into downtown as thereuare suggested my daughter may like it?

Thanks

If you are spending your time downtown and around the museums, I would not stay near the airports, they are about a 25 minute train ride from the downtown area.

I suggest checking rates for the Congress Hotel on Michigan Ave to give you a baseline for what market rates are for a room in that area during that weekend. On Priceline, zones 7 & 8 are ideal for the museums, waterfront, Millenium Park, Navy Pier, Mag Mile, etc and is a short bus ride to Willis Tower, John Hancock and has access to all trains and a lot of buses. And I echo what @thereuare said earlier, your 4 year old will probably love taking a ride around the 'L' more than any museum. Everytime I take my 6 and 4 year old nephew and niece downtown, their favorite part is the train. Do yourself a favor and get an unlimited 3 day pass for all the trains/buses.

• 1 month later...

It's urgent since I need to book a room today for 2 nights for May 19-May 21. Here are what I found:

3.5* Magnificent Mile Area - River North area hotel with 90% recommend review

Amenities: Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access

Before $197, now $95

Also I saw the winning bid in priceline for 3.5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile for $120 ... 5/19/12-5/21/12

and 3.5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile for $90 ... 5/18/12-5/21/12

So I tried bid on priceline for 3.5* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) from $90 to $100, failed.

So anyone can help me on identifying this 3.5* on hotwire?

Is it a good deal compare to priceline bid?

Thank you.

HOTWIRE is down for maintenance at the moment so i can't see this offering to perform any 'checks' that we like to do, but although these amenities are common for a city hotel, the Doubletree has previously been seen with this amenity set so that would be my best guess for this one.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Congratulations on your success! Glad to see you received a nice deal for this stay and are pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]