Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) The Blackstone Renaissance Chicago Hotel

jsteph
By jsteph,
in

So we've finally booked our flights and we're confirmed for 3 nights in Chicago, June 8-11.

I see it's also the Blues Festival. We've never been to Chicago before so I have no idea about which zones are best and what places to go. We do like music so will hopefully attend the festival, but don't need to be across the street if you know what I mean. We will be relying on public transit, so convenience is a must.

Will prices likely be higher for these dates? Not really sure where to even start with bidding on this one.

Last year's trip to NYC was around the same time and we had good luck bidding this early so figured I'd start looking into it.

Thanks in advance for any bidding advice (and touristy stuff too, for that matter!)

Jen

Does it seem reasonable to expect to pay the same as NYC rates? Last year I got this weekend in NYC for $169 and I was very happy with that. I have no concerns about locking in.

I see there's an email for me today for an extra $7 off a name-your-own bid per day on PRICELINE. Is there a way to apply that discount using this site's PRICELINE link?

Sure, and thanks for asking:

You can still use your Bonus Cash along with the board's PRICELINE links as follows...

1) click the link in the PRICELINE email to deposit the bonus cash into your account (usually you're given a form to enter your email address)

2) close the current browser

3) use a link on the board to access PRICELINE

4) go to the MY PROFILE >> MY REWARDS link at the top right of their home page

5) use the bonus money link in the MY REWARDS section of your profile (not a link from an email) and bid as usual

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It worked! Thank you.

Since it's a 24-hour-sale I may as well give it a shot today. I get how rebidding works, based on what I've read, the 2 zones I want to stay in are NMA and the Loop, so I have 6 rebids for a 4*. Correct?

Any clue for a starting point? I'll try my luck when I get home from work tonight. I also have a $5 off per night coupon banked that expires in June as a backup.

Cheers!

J.

Rates are higher than usual for these dates and we don't want to suggest a strategy that goes higher than you're willing to pay (plus your maximum bid also helps determine your starting bid)... go give you a vantage point, i'm guessing you'd be lucky to get a 4* hotel in the $145-$165 area. It's a realistic price range and has a decent chance, but based upon current prices i could also see how this could ultimately cost you closer to $200.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your maximum bid you'd like to use at this time and we'll advise accordingly.

PS- yes, you're correct, currently SIX re-bid zones when bidding 4* in this area (feel free to list/confirm them with the board if you'd like)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Update: No luck today. Started at $97 ($92+$5 bonus) and stopped at $159 ($154+$5).

Still aiming 4* NMA or Mill/Loop/GPA.

A weird thing did happen though. After my 5th or 6th bid, the retry screen dropped the option of adding my bonus cash. I hit the back button to see if I could get it back and it said some sort of help request was sent (hopefully that's not going to mean anything later...) I then decided to close the browser and sign back in to PRICELINE. I started rebidding but used a different (unused) zone as my first freebie and ended up getting another bunch of bids. So in total I bid 10 times before deciding I was done at $159. I think it would have let me try another couple of times though. Is this normal or a fluke?

The above is often referred to as the 'permutation' method, so the following is completely valid, using an example of 5 re-bid zones:

Select ZoneXYZ...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $xx, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select ZoneXYZ and zone5...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $xx, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $xx

Any questions feel free to ask.

In regards to your bidding above, if you ultimately go higher i'll add that HOTWIRE currently has a 4* hotel in the MagMile-Streeterville zone for $181/nite (i'm guessing the Hotel Felix... although a smaller chance it could be the Hotel Sax).

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Interesting and good to know! Thanks.

I'll definitely look into the hotels you mention.

What do you know of bookit? According to that site I can get a comfy king room at the Dana for $179 after promo codes. Total for 3 days with fees/taxes $642.79.

Is that a reliable site? I read some horrible reviews so I'm thinking it's not.

Bookit is legit in the sense that they are a 'real' company, however, I can't comment as far as their customer service or their ability to resolve any issues that arrive without knowing the circumstances surrounding the reviews that you're reading. Is that rate refundable?

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I haven't read the reviews, but I think my concern with a booking service that doesn't get good reviews besides just the issues the reviews mention is that this is a busy weekend and if something happened where there was an issue with your reservation, you may not have a lot of reasonable last-minute options (or possibly not many last-minute options at all in the city.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

That bookit rate is non-refundable.

I don't see the HOTWIRE hotel for $181 available anymore.

From the searches I've been doing this weekend is not going to be cheap. Looks like the rates are really high on the Sunday for a lot of places, which I can only assume is driving up the cost of my weekend. My gut feeling is that rates will not go down closer to the date. Perhaps I should just raise my ceiling now and avoid being stuck closer to the date? I also have not booked a refundable backup either. Would it be better to do that first rather than raise my bids this early?

Thanks, as always, for your advice (and patience! lol)

Jen

PS bid up to $161 on PRICELINE this morning and nada. Though at $159 it did give me the message that they were looking and to check the status in 15 minutes. Alas, rejection.

I also have not booked a refundable backup either. Would it be better to do that first rather than raise my bids this early?

It depends how close you can get a refundable rate near your maximum bid. If for example you're bidding $200/nite and you can find a refundable reservation at $230, then it may be better to book the refundable rate at $230 since your 'risk' is only $30 nite difference... whereas if the best rate you're able to find is $350, then you need to be more realistic in your maximum bid.

Not sure if lowering your star rating is an option but as a back-up i did find the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown MagMile for $232/nite refundable... not the 4* you're seeking for this stay, but the reviews are good that may this could work for your needs (or at the very least give you a refundable reservation to at least give you some 'breathing room' to know that you have something).

With the above noted, i'd venture a guess that at the moment you'll need ~$180-$195 to be successful at a 4* property (while this range is just a guess, it will give you some perspective between raising your maximum bid vs. any refundable rate you're able to find and book)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll try to assist further.

Thanks for posting this topic and any replies and hints. We are traveling to Chicago at the same time, with a little longer stay but are wanting the same locations and star levels.

Would be willing to go down some on a star level but am hesitant to drop too much to get someplace a little shady. (I had a couple of bad experiences with 2/2.5 star downtown locations).

I've tried $90-97 for both location for 4*. Last year the average price was about 110-120 for the same time period.

Keep the updates and hints coming...many thanks

Scott

Won the 4* Blackstone Renaissance for $170. Total bill for 3 nights $607.05. ($170x3 + $97.05 taxes/fees)

Started bidding today at $128 up to $165 (+ $5 bonus cash) with NMA as the only 4* with no luck. Then closed the browser and started again at $144 to include the Mill/Loop/GPA and got the Blackstone at $170 (+$5 bonus cash).

Certainly not the crazy discount I was hoping for, but based on the other prices I'm seeing for these dates I'm pleased. The reviews I've read sound great. Also the location seems very good for the Blues Festival at Grant Park so I'm happy with that as we're not really that into shopping. Plus apparently there's a Starbucks, so hubby will be pleased! :)

I'll be interested to see how others fare closer to the date. But for me, I'm glad having this out of the way and can now focus on planning our days there. :D

Thanks for all the advice. Any restaurant recommendations gladly accepted. lol

Cheers,

Jen

It does seem like you got a very good deal for that time period. You could not find a place more convenient to Grant Park (and very close to the aquarium), and the building is beautiful (I've only seen it from the outside but it's a Chicago classic). I'm sure Aaron will give you neighborhood restaurant tips, but you can always take a quick cab ride to River North/Streeterville, or Greektown, or other more eatery-filled neighborhood -- it would just cost a few bucks and take five minutes.

jsteph,

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see that you're overall pleased with the results for this busy weekend in Chicago.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

scottielu,

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own trips/dates.

Thanks.

This is a very, very historic property that was closed for a number of years before being given a full top-to-bottom makeover by Marriott. There's not a whole lot going on around this area at night, but otherwise, it's a pleasant walk from here to the museum campus (and the Art Institute isn't too far, either.)

There are some restaurants nearby - I do like Hackney's if you're looking for burgers, and there is usually a coupon that can be had if you sign up for the email list on their website. Their burgers on dark rye are very good, and if you're feeling like something not particularly good for you, I'd recommend their onion ring loaf. Yoak (1120 S Michigan) is a good breakfast option, and for pizza, there is a Lou Malnati's nearby on State. Artists Cafe is a nice, casual option a few blocks North on Michigan Ave that's been there for ages. Custom House on Dearborn is also worth trying. As noted, the River North area and other areas do provide more restaurant options. What may be worth considering is scheduling a day that ends in one of these areas, you can eat and then take a cab back.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks AaronJB.

What are your thoughts with the festival being in the park, as I'm not familiar with exact locales, venues and sizes. i.e. will it be directly in front of the hotel and crazy? Be honest!!

Also, we have a Marriott member rewards card. Do you think if I inquire, the hotel would consider a request for a higher floor, perhaps a lake-view room?

We're not opposed to venturing out to find places to eat/drink. My favourite area in NYC is Murray Hill; last year we won the Kitano, which many would consider very quiet, but we loved the location and the hotel. Most nights we went out to other neighbourhoods to eat/find entertainment, then made our way back on the subway. No problem. Reading the boards I get the feeling most people take cabs in Chicago, not the train?

The hotel does look absolutely stunning, and I figured we saved over $200 from the posted rates for our stay so that's all right I guess. I just hope the weather cooperates so we can explore a lot on foot, otherwise I might regret not sticking with only the NMA zone. :huh:

I think it really depends on what you are planning on doing - if you give me a general idea as to likes/dislikes, I'd be happy to offer a general outline of suggestions on things to do throughout your stay. If you like venturing into neighborhoods, I think you may like the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area quite a bit, and I do have a walking route that I often suggest, although it's a long walk that winds through a good portion of that area, through the zoo and old town, then back to Michigan Ave.

I really don't think that Blues Fest will be an issue near your hotel. The Festival is happening in Grant Park and most likely more North; the way that Grant Park is situated, things like Taste of Chicago may cause some mild foot traffic on Michigan Ave (although more North of your hotel, primarily) with people going to/from, but it is not right along Michigan Ave. The core areas of Grant Park that are used for concerts and events are behind and to the North of the Art Institute and sort of separated from Michigan Ave.

PRICELINE reservations generally are not eligible for rewards cards benefits, but it doesn't hurt to ask - some people have had success asking for upgrades or even points for the reservation.

The public transit in Chicago is very useful for getting from point A to point B quickly, but if you're not in a hurry, Chicago is quite walkable.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]