Hotwire Hotel: 4* London (Kensington - Earls Court) Millennium Gloucester

Maarvelous
By Maarvelous,
in

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find a hotel in the London Soho area, preferably 4 or 5 star. (I'd probably be willing to consider a three star, but I've heard they are more like two-star hotels in the US.)

I'm splitting the hotel with a friend, but I'm still on a fairly strict budget. I will be staying in London April 22-27, doing research at LSE. Ideally, I'd like to not spend more than a $100 a night per person (so a $200/night hotel), but perhaps that's a fantasy for the Soho area. I'd be willing to go a bit higher, but $225 or so is at the high end of my budget, and I'd be much more comfortable with something less expensive.

I found at 5* on Hotwire haven't tried bidding on Priceline yet. The 5* on Hotwire is doable, but, again, it's at the top of the budget. (After taxes, the total is $1419 or about $700+ per person.) Ideally, I'd like to not spend more than $500-600 per person.

I've never been to London, so the reason I'm looking at the Soho district is because it's both close to LSE, and it sounds like a pretty happening area! I'd like to be able to get my research done during the day, and be able to walk around a cool neighborhood in the evenings. If anyone has other suggestions for areas to consider please let me know. Cheers

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more for a 5* hotel vs. a 4* hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better for this trip? (ie- did you want to first try up to your limit for a 5* hotel, then if rejected, start over and try for a 4* hotel?)

Also, if $200 is the maximum 'all-in' price, what is your maximum bid price?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would be willing to pay a little more for a 5*--and $220 a night doesn't seem like much more, but I am trying to keep it $200 or under. I suppose there are other factors to consider as well (Internet, breakfast--if those were included in a 5* but not a 4, then I think I can go slightly more).

So I guess the "all-in" price could be slightly more if the area/hotel is worth it, but ideally I'd like something under $200. Should I try bidding at the +/- $200 range for the Soho area, or are there other--possibly more affordable--nearby areas? For example, the Bloomsbury-Mablearch region looks close enough, but would it be any less expensive than Soho?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more for a 5* hotel vs. a 4* hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better for this trip? (ie- did you want to first try up to your limit for a 5* hotel, then if rejected, start over and try for a 4* hotel?)

Also, if $200 is the maximum 'all-in' price, what is your maximum bid price?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Quick update: I played around with some low-bids (below $200) for a 5* in Soho, the city, and a few surrounding zones--no luck.

I did check Hotwire for a 4* in the Kensington-Earl's Court area and found one going for $162, which is the perfect price. The slashed out price is $221, and looking at hotels.com I see the Best Western in the area is $221. I would be very pleased if I got that hotel for $162 (the location is great). I guess I'll sleep on it, but do you think the odds are pretty good that the hotel on hotwire is the Best Western?

Note that the crossed out price shown by HOTWIRE is not the retail rate for the hotel offered, but rather the average price of hotel(s) in the zone at that star rating (of which the hotel offered may or may not be included in that average)

What are the amenities associated with the HOTWIRE property?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The amenities aren't overwhelming, but they're good enough I suppose:

"4-star Hotel in Kensington - Earls Court

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply."

It has a 90% recommendation from other Hotwire users (or so it says!).

A property with this exact amenity set has not yet been reported to the board, but my guess would be the the Millennium Gloucester.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]