Priceline Hotel: 3.5* DC (Dupont Circle - Woodley Park) Washington Marriott Wardman Park

tj9630
By tj9630,
in

Looking for bidding strategy for the above dates for 3-4* hotel in Washington DC. $120-150 per night (is this reasonable?)

Areas listed in priority order:

1. Whitehouse - Downtown

2. Georgetown - Foggy Bottom

3. Convention Ctr - Capitol Hill Area

Main priority is location as this is our first trip to DC and we want to be close to the sights and transport options.

Did you want to first bid up to your limit for White House-Downtown, then if that is rejected try up to your limit for Georgetown-Foggy Bottom, then if that is rejected try for Convention Center-Capitol Hill... OR is your goal the least expensive hotel in any of these zones?

Also, what about star rating... did you wan to first try for a 4*, then if rejected try for a 3.5*, then if rejected try for a 3* OR is your goal the least expensive 3* in any of these zones? If the former, if you first try for 4* WH-DT and that is rejected, do you then want to try for a 3.5* in the WH-DT zone OR for a 4* in GT-FB?

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that White House area would be the most convenient in terms of seeing all the sights in Washington. Therefore, our priority areas would be:

1. 4* WH-Dt

2. 3* WH-DT

3. 4* GT-FB or Dupont Circle

Please note I have listed Dupont circle area instead of Capitol Hill because after doing a bit more research, we think that maybe Dupont Circle is a better location. If you could give any further advise on this, it would be appreciated! Also, the date range that we want to stay has changed: 23-25th May (3 nights)

I'm not the DC location expert, but from what i do know:

CC-CH and WH-DT are both closest to the touristy sites

DC-WP is also frequently used as 1) it's often less expensive than the above two, 2) most hotels (especially at the higher star ratings) are generally convenient to mass transit to quickly and easily get to the sites/touristy areas, 3) it's a great neighborhood with lots of bars, restaurants, cafes, etc. which gives more of a 'in with the locals' feel vs. the 'business-like hotel' experience.

GT-FB isn't bid as frequently as the three zones above

Personally i like 'living like a local' while on vacation (while still being able to walk to places in the immediate area), so the DC-WP zone would appeal to me based upon the hotel environments like like. My gameplan would be to bid for a 4* hotel in the CC-CH, WH-DT, and DC-WP zones... having the one with the lowest price accept my bid. If that was rejected i would re-try at the 3.5* (although do a bit more research at the 3.5* level to make sure that all 'known' hotels at this star level would provide easy metro access. However, it's your trip so your strategy and preferred zone(s) need to be tailored to your preferences, not mine ;)

With the above noted, my guess is that you're likely looking at $160-$185 for a 4* hotel in one of the above zones and perhaps $145-$165 for a 3.5* property.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

" My gameplan would be to bid for a 4* hotel in the CC-CH, WH-DT, and DC-WP zones... having the one with the lowest price accept my bid" - that sounds good. Could you please help with a bidding strategy for these areas?

We would be willing to pay up to $160 for a 4* room, but obviously the lower the price the better!

If this fails, perhaps we will then try bidding 3.5* in WH-DT area, then CC-CH.

Thanks again!

When bidding 4* in the DC area you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* CC-CH and WH-DT...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CC-CH and DC-WP...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CC-CH and WH-DT and DC-WP...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask. If rejected just post back and we'll revise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You budget may be difficult for just these two zones, but you have some time if you'd like to give it a try.

However, before bidding, to confirm, did you first want to try WH-DT up to your $160 limit, then if rejected try CC-CH up to your limit... or is the goal the least expensive in either of these two zones?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

I'm doing something similar. If I can get WH-DT cheap, it's my first choice. But it's also likely to be the most expensive. CC-CH is my second choice due to being cheaper than WH-DT, but possibly just a little more than DC-WP.

However I think I'm most likely to get DC-WP based on cheap over touristy convenience. And having stayed there once before.

So in order to get extra bids where I expect to land (DC-WP or CC-CH), I'm bidding them in order of expected price. That way, after doing all the standard free rebids, I can get one more when WH-DT is added to CC-CH and two when WH-DT and CC-CH are added to DP-WP. Since I've already bid them higher, and would be happy to stay there anyhow, I don't expect them to be accepted when bidding my lower areas.

Here's how I've done it using only 4*:

WH-DT @ $125

Add AW @ $130

Add Beth @ $135

Add CC @ $140

Add DC-NE @ $145

Add GN @ $150

Add MV @ $155

Add SS @ $160

(none accepted)

CC-CH @ $100

Add AW @ $105

Add Beth @ $110

Add CC @ $115

Add DC-NE @ $120

Add GN @ $125

Add MV @ $130

Add SS @ $135

Add WH-DT @ $140

(none accepted)

DC-WP @$50

Add AW @ $60

Add Beth @ $70

Add CC @ $80

Add DC-NE @ $85

Add GN @ $90

Add MV @ $95

Add SS @ $100

Add CC-CH @ $105

Add WH-DT @ $110

(none accepted)

So as you can see, I had 8 and 9 rebids with this strategy. I've got a few weeks before my trip and have a Saturday night first night, so I'll start revising the bids as I get closer. Right now I'm hoping to get lucky on the cheap side.

Got Marriott Wardman Park (Dupont Circle area) for $155/night.

Started bidding for 3.5* hotels in WH-DT area but unsuccessful then added DC-WP area. Not sure if this is the best price for the location but we are happy with the hotel as it meets our requirements of being close to metro station. Also, just a relief in general to be within our budget - especially considering that we are staying for 3 week nights, rather than on the weekend.

Thanks again to Betterbidding for all the friendly advise and good luck to anyone else bidding in these areas!!!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you got this stay settled and are pleased with the results... always a bit of relief when your plans are confirmed and you know where you'll be staying (and how much).

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]