MN Minneapolis-St Paul Hyatt Downtown

cntrfieldsmom
By cntrfieldsmom,
in

Very convienent, directly on Nicolet Mall. Numerous restaurants and shopping within easy walking distance. Ex: Crate and Barrell, Marshall Fields, Nieman Marcus, Target, many more. Great variety of sidewalk bars/cafes. Ruth Chris Steakhouse, and Manny's (top 10 nationwide) in the Hyatt itself. New train transportation along the route to the Mall of America and Ikea. $1.50 per trip. About 1 mile to the Metrodome. $5.00 for a cab. The Millenium directly across the street, Embassy suites 1/2 block, Hilton 3 blocks. If you've never stayed downtown it is a must! It's so beautiful, numerous fountains (etc), architecture and great convienence. Parking attached to the hotel, $12.00 per day.

Hotel:

I requested via email (when I got my priceline receipt )two adjoining rooms. Upon checkin (11:00am) she said she would do what she could, I mentioned the email and she checked to see if they "blocked the rooms" She said they had and we recieved 2 doubles directly across the hallway from each other.

Rooms were comfortable and nicely laid out. Separate shower/toilet area (very small) but the closet, dressing area and sink were partitioned off with a 3/4 wall (I liked that as I could visit with my spouse while getting ready) Beatiful marble floor and countertop, coffee stand, and a very cool curved shower rod that made the shower way larger. In fact, I stopped at Linens and things and bought one for home. Nice toiletries. Beds were comfortable, but saw a sign announcing some great new bedding "coming soon" Small detail..but I noticed they had instant hot water.

We didn't use any of the hotel services as we were only there to sleep as it turned out. They did have bellman and 3 or 4 restaurants. The pool looked okay, but if you want to soak in a hot tub, you have to pay at the Health Spa. $11.00. Mens and womens separate. Their are tennis courts, Beauty Salon, shops. The hotel is hooked up to the skywalk system, which for wintertime is ideal. I believe there is 7.5 miles of skywalk downtown. Security was good, we even had someone stop at our door to make sure we were in there because we had flipped the deadlock to keep the door from latching.

My bid of $53 seemed to be an overbid looking at past wins, but needed a sure thing and would definately be happy to stay there again.

• 1 month later...

:) We stayed at the Minneapolis Hyatt July 29- Aug 3. We asked for a king sized bed and an upper floor at check in and had no problems, except......

The room was never really cleaned. The mirrors had soap on them, the counters were not cleaned, and the trash was not emptied. We were there 5 nights. I called at one point and asked the front desk to send housekeeping back to re-clean the room. They said "right away" and no one ever showed up. Our friends, on another floor, wrote "dust me" on the desk in the dust and it was there for 2 days before they dusted the desk themselves!!

The windows in the hotel were so dirty that you had trouble seeing out of them.

We also had problems getting enough towels and wash cloths. Never could get more than one washcloth.

Room service was good and the food was fine. We had a basic egg and bacon breakfast for two, one morning. (It cost $47.00 !!)

The lobby was nice and the convention center was fine. It was close to everything downtown. It was just disappointing to have to deal everyday with cleanliness issues.

• 3 years later...

Stayed at the Hyatt for three nights, Nov. 28-Dec. 1, 2008. Well appointed hotel. Room was clean and well serviced. Front desk staff extremely helpful. They provided directions wherever we needed. We asked for softer pillows and they sent 8 of them up! We also complained about a noisy heating system which they sent up an engineer quickly (but didn't solve the problem, unfortunately). Parking is expensive ($17/day) but includes in/out privileges. Wonderful breakfast buffet, but also expensive at about $18 per person plus tip. Hotel is convenient to all downtown locations (generally walking distance and there is a good public transit system) and close to museums. A real bargain overall (through Priceline for $49/night--see bidding page for details). Business center provided free computer/internet connection which was unexpected!

• 1 year later...

I didn't know quite what to expect from this property from reading the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. First off, I got this property for $41 on Priceline. You can't even get a flea ridden motel room for that around here. So, even if the lodging was just so-so, I wouldn't complain.

Check in went pretty smooth. Parking was $17 a day which is right about the going rate. When I got to my room I was wondering if they earmarked the most undesirable rooms in the hotel for their Priceline specials (I wouldn't blame them if they did). I was on the 13th floor (they called it 14th) and was right across the hall from the vending area and the housekeeping closet.

They said my room was a "limited park view" Limited was right. If I pressed my cheek on the window and craned my neck I could see a tree. My view was of the rooftop HVAC equipment and the ramp. However, I didn't get the room for the view.

The hotel itself was in good, not great, shape. Some areas showed some dating, but not too bad.

My room was nice sized. The bed was comfortable, The room was clean. The sink, closet and changing area were separate from the bathroom. There was a work desk with 2 chairs and another lounge type chair. The room had everything I needed.

The business center was a joke. There were two computers for a 533 room convention hotel. The speed of the connection reminded me of the early days of dial up. However, I have seen this trend at hotels. It is my opinion that they want to get you to pay the extra money for the in room internet. If there were a ton of fast computers down in the lobby, what would be your incentive to pay the extra money?

All of the staff members I encountered were nice and helpful. There were a few good dining options on site.

There are certainly newer, nicer, and swankier hotels in Minneapolis but you aren't going to find their rooms going for $41 a night. I was pleased with my experience and would go back in a heartbeat, especially at such a great rate.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]