Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

jwill
By jwill,
in

I have been putting in bids from 3.5-4 star level starting at $60 then all the way up to $80. I am new to this and was wondering if this is normal when booking so far ahead. I do not know how high is appropriate to go or if i should wait till it is closer to bid. anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The slowest/most reasonable period in Chicago is generally from January to around the end of March, although Jan/Feb in particular. Once Spring and warmer weather arrive, rates in April and May start climbing (and things like baseball season also start adding to the Spring traffic, too.) A discussion of purchase timing can be found in the FAQ, but in general, Spring in Chicago is going to be more expensive than the rates commonly seen for wins in Chicago for this month and last month.

What would be your desired budget per night, and would the River North-NMA area also be acceptable, or are you primarily interested in the Loop?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

... I am afraid it would not be centrally located.

Is there something in particular you're trying to be closer to, as the NMA-River North zone is generally considered to be more convenient and centrally located than the Loop zone. AaronJB can comment better then I, but while both zones are certainly 'do-able', i believe the Loop zone would only be considered more convenient if your goal this trip was for the museums and/or aquariums... nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc. would all be more convenient in the NMA-River North zone.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes our main places to go to are Shedd aquarium, Field Museum, Willis Tower, Navy Pier, Union Station (taking the train in). I think I am going to try and bid $95 in the loop and see if i can get something and if not then consider add River North Area to one of my lower bids.

The NMA area does have more going on at night and more in the way of shopping. The Millennium/Loop area is closer to museums overall, although some properties in the Loop zone that are closer to the river are very close to the NMA area. The 3.5* Loop zone does also have the Allegro which is a little out of the way in the West Loop, although it is very close to Union Station. The overall downtown area isn't massive, and there is a lot of public transit to go from one area to the other. There are more 3*/3.5*'s in the NMA area.

Thank you for keeping us updated and for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Do you intend on going out at nite (and possibly staying out late?)

If so, i would prefer to be closer to my hotel late at nite and willing to travel a bit more during the day (especially if using mass transit, which i highly recommend, especially in a city such as Chicago... it's not only cheaper than taxis, but it also gives you a much better feel for an area by interacting with the locals and experiencing the city just as they do on a day-to-day basis)

With the above noted, the two zones each have their pros/cons, but for the most part they are 'interchangeable', although the Loop is usually a second choice (to the NMA zone) and chosen when offered at a discount to the NMA zone.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I added NMA to my 4* bid and still did not get anything at $90. I think tonight I will add 3.5 *, I do not want to go over $100 per room though so I might have to wait and try and bid later. I looked up at a cab fare estimator and it's not that much more to travel from NMA. I do not plan to stay out late as I do not even know that there is to do at night in Chicago lol.

I bidded on priceline for Sat April 28th-Tue May 1st and it took quite a few bids and the guys on here will help you with a perfect strategy. It was my first time and I did The Loop first, then NMA, then both with rebid zones and ended up with The Renaissance Downtown for $102 a night, which the guys on the forum said is located conveniently along The River on The Loop side but within walking distance to The Loop subway lines and just a short jaunt by cab over the bridge for nightlife and restaurants and close to Michigan Ave.

I think tonight I will add 3.5 *, I do not want to go over $100 per room...

If you'd like help with a bidding strategy let us know if you're willing to bid both NMA and Loop or just the Loop... and if $90 or $100 is your maximum bid price.

Also, i'll add that at current prices i think you may need to go over $100 to be successful at a 3.5* or better for this stay.

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like a very nice deal and hopefully you're pleased with the results.

AaronJB made some positive comments about this property in this Priceline Chicago hotel post.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Not only a nice hotel, but I think this is a nice, fairly central spot - it's not terribly far to Michigan Ave shopping, State St shopping isn't too far South and the River North area (a good deal of nightlife/restaurants) starts on the other side of the bridge.

I think this is a very, very nice deal for this property in May, which can definitely be more expensive.

After viewing reviews on the hotel I am very pleased, it's location is awesome and the rooms look good. The price is also very good as the going rate at the moment is $259. I am so glad to get such an awesome price!! I will now use PRICELINE to bid and book all future hotel stays, (using your links of course lol). Thanks for the help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]