Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark - Meadowlands (Newark) Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel

darkly
By darkly,
in

Hi there,

I'll be in NYC and New Jersey (Secaucus area) on business for one night on the 21st of Feb. I'm looking to keep my rate at around $50 with Priceline. Doesn't seem to be that busy during that time. The EWR Airport area always seems cheapest, but I'm concerned of the lack of easy Path access. Of course I could manage with Meadowlands, Secaucus, Hoboken, or even Newark. Main concern is keeping the rate as low as possible. (New Brunswick?) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept? Are you interested in the higher rated hotel within your budget OR is your goal the least expensive hotel at the star rating (or higher) that you select?

If your business takes you to Secaucus and/or NYC, traveling each day to/from New Brunswick could be a bit of a hassle, is this worth your while? Will you have a car? If so, is driving the the Park N Ride and taking the bus into Manhattan an option?

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click each of these links before replying)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No car.

Can i ask how you'll be arriving to the area, as while transportation to/from NYC is usually do-able, Secaucus is not the most convenient area to get to from outside of Manhattan, and it appears that you have business within the Secaucus area, and it's also not an area where it's easy to get from PointA to PointB without a car. Lastly, there are properties in the area which are not walkable to mass transit into the city, which could then increase your costs substantially.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click each of these links before replying)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So how do you handle a situation if you receive one of the hotels in the zone that are not near/walkable to mass transit?

Do you actually have business in Secaucus or just looking there based upon an inexpensive hotel nite? (and your business is actually all in NYC?)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

A valid point. I do have to be in New Jersey that evening (around Elizabeth,NJ). I was also looking for the cheapest zones around NYC, which seemed to be near EWR and Secaucus, that would allow for easy access to NYC the next day. Would you suggest I look at a different zone instead?

I do have to be in New Jersey that evening (around Elizabeth,NJ).

... and getting to Elizabeth from Secaucus via mass transit may not be easy either (not sure how you intended to do this). Most likely need to travel to Manhattan then to Elizabeth, which would be circuitous.

As i know this area fairly well, if you post your itinerary where you need to be each day and times i'll try to determine your best options... but you may be fairly limited by your budget.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Is the place you need to be in Elizabeth accessible by mass transit or are you going to just figure this part out once you get here?

What is your gameplan for during the day on the 22nd... do you have any place you need/want/intend to be?

Also, when you arrive on the 21st, do you need to stop by the hotel first to drop off your bags OR will you carry any bags/luggage with your during the day in Manhattan?

Place I need to be is near Jersey Gdns Mall off the Turnpike. I believe NJTransit 111 goes there. On the 22nd I figured I'd head back through Manhattan later in the day, since my flight leaves out of LGA. On the 21st I'll only head to the hotel in the afternoon.

Then again, this is all starting to look very complicated indeed.

It's over your budget, but the ideal property imo is the Country Inn and Suites which is currently on sale for $92/nite, and here is why:

Arrive at LGA and get to Manhattan to do whatever it is you need.

Take the NJ Transit Bus to Jersey Gardens and walk to the Country Inn and Suites.

Next day take the bus from Jersey Gardens back to Manhattan.

NOTE: it appears the last bus to Jersey Gardens leaves NYC at 4:15pm... the first bus to Port Authority is 1:13pm (the odd schedule is because it is intended to be a bus to take shoppers to/from NYC... not as a commuter bus, although no problem using it for that purpose should the schedule work for your plans)

If you're unable to make the bus schedule, the 'long' way is to take a hotel shuttle to newark airport, then take any of the various ways from the airport to Manhattan (cheapest route ~$5 but it can take a LONG time... ~$18 direct bus service from EWR to Manhattan)

If your budget is firm, the EWR zone may be the best bet and count on using the 'long' method above, but i'll warn you'll be wasting a LOT of time between waiting/taking the various shuttles and waiting for the next connection.

Given your plans i don't think the Secaucus area is a good choice as you really have no reason to head to this area... the Country Inn and Suites would appear (based upon the plans you've mentioned) to save you a lot of time and convenience, assuming you can make the 4pm bus to Jersey Gardens.

Your thoughts?

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Your suggestion is excellent, as my meeting is actually at the Country Inn and Suites. However, it is over my budget. I'm going to try for the EWR zone per your 2nd suggestion and see what happens. I'll let you know. Either way, thanks again for all the assistance.

If you need help with a specific bidding strategy let us know. If/when a hotel is won i can add some more information regarding best routes.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bid 2.5* $46 in EWR-Elizabeth failed

Added Newark Zone as rebid at $52 successful (was upgraded to 3*)

3* Newark - Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel

02/21/2012-02/22/2012

Taxes and fees: 15.58

Total charge 67.58

All in all, a very good deal for this property.

Now I just have to find out how to get to the Best Western from my meeting at the Country Inn and Suites.

Congratulations on your success... glad to see you're pleased with the results.

Note that the 'newwark' zone was not a re-bid zones since it contains 2.5* and higher rated properties... feel free to confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding for your next hotel. However, looks like this should be able to work for your plans, thanks for sharing the win with the board.

The cheapest way to the hotel after your meeting will probably be to take the Country Inn and Suites shuttle to the airport (you'll blend in since you'll have your luggage with you)... then take the Best Western's shuttle from the airport to the hotel (i believe the Best Western Shuttle runs every 30 minutes, but you should call them to confirm times and pick-up location).

The following day to get back to the Manhattan you should be able to take the PATH train from Newark Penn Station.

NOTE: not really a great area, especially at nite, so i wouldn't recommend wondering around in the area.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]