Priceline Hotel: 2,5-3* Hotel in NYC: Queens

Mattes82
By Mattes82,
in

hey guys,

i am looking for a hotel in NYC from 05/06/12 to 05/11/12 for 2two persons. We do not request anything special, but a clean room, not too load with a good metro connection to the main sights in Manhattan. I checked the prices and saw that the Queens district is a good compromise of price and distance to the sights. My actual reference would be the Ramada Long Island City with round about 20minutes to the time square. price is ~650$.

What do you think? Is the chance for a better deal using priceline? We are not demanding. The room has to be in in quite save enviroment with good conn to the sights of Manhattan. A distance of roundabout 30min would be ok.

Are there any other districts that might match to price cap of - let's say 650-700$. And could you help me with the correct bidding strategy? I think there is some time left so i dont need to hurry.

Greets

Mattes

Edit:

it think the priceline area for queens / long island would be No 8?

P.S.:

http://maps.google.de/maps?q=3830+Crescent+Street,+NY+11101+Queens&hl=de&ll=40.755154,-73.936404&spn=0.000001,0.000871&sll=40.755225,-73.936692&layer=c&cbp=13,112.66,,0,-3.88&cbll=40.755154,-73.936404&doflg=ptm&hnear=38-30+Crescent+St,+Queens,+New+York+11101,+Vereinigte+Staaten&t=h&z=21&iwloc=A&panoid=AiFwgfRuxGE45cgT5UYO9A

area of the Ramada is not that nice. What is your estimate? Is it a secure area?

While Long Island City is going thru a big transformation (improving for the better), i'm still just not a big fan of this area. As the street view of the google map you posted is indicative of what you typically get in this area... graffiti and all.

With the above noted, this zone is certainly do-able to commute to Manhattan, but with the 'neighborhood' comes the lower price point... and i just don't think you have too many options this time of year at ~$120/nite

I would sooner consider bidding 4* in Jersey City, and while i don't think you will be successful at $120 or less, i do think it's worth a shot and provides the same convenience as LIC but in a nicer setting.

HOTWIRE also has what i'm guessing to be the Sheraton Suites Weehawken for $740 all-in, this areas has it's pros/cons too (just not much to do in the immediate area unless you're willing to walk 10-15 minutes) and at this price i'd sooner try to stretch your budget another $100 and try for a 3* directly in Manhattan.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

So we dont care travelling up to 30min, but it is important that we are situated in a "save" neighborhood. in general, it is no big deal to expand the budget by another 100 dollars. But we dont need anything special as wbe will only use it for sleeping purpose. We just dont want to spend too much.

Given this, which areas would be fine for us? Could you give me the priceline numbers reasonable for this budget? would you recommend to bet on Manhattan, then new jersey and then on lic? Are there any other areas which make sense?

This would be my suggestion:

Bid for a 3.5* on PRICELINE for just about all zones in NYC (even Downtown as budget seems more important than location, and even a Downtown hotel will be more convenient than LIC, imo) up to a limit of ~$140 (which is ~$860 all-in... i had originally typed $150 but that comes to $925 all-in and i assume that may be too much)... please confirm what you'd like to use as your maximum bid and we'll adjust the strategy accordingly.

Should the 3.5* fail (which it likely will) i would re-try for Manhattan at the 3* level with the same maximum budget.

Should the 3* Manhattan fail i would then try with the same budget for a 4* in the Jersey City-Hoboken zone.

Let us know your thoughts (and firm maximum bid prices) and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

sorry for answering so late but i was quite busy the last days. But now our flight to NYC is fixed. Dates stay as mentioned in the opening post.

my idea is:

i would like to bid on a 2,5-3 star hotel in Manhattan. Btw: is it also possible to bid a flat or something similar?

My fall back hotel would be in LIC. But it did not reserve it by now. Would you recommend to do so?

Could you please provide me with a proper bidding strategy? What is quite important that we do not bid on an accommodation with longer distance to the main sights compared to LIC.

I`m looking forward to your adice.Thanks in advance

i would like to bid on a 2,5-3 star hotel in Manhattan.

All PRICELINE and HOTWIRE purchases are for 'standard' rooms. Did you want to first bid up to your maximum bid for a 3* hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 2.5* or better for this stay? (my advice is to try to stick with 3*, but not sure how this works in regards to your budget)

My fall back hotel would be in LIC. But it did not reserve it by now. Would you recommend to do so?

It it fully refundable?

What is quite important that we do not bid on an accommodation with longer distance to the main sights compared to LIC.

What are your thoughts about being in Manhattan but possibly being a 15 minute walk to the subway? What about very small rooms (~140 sq. ft)? Would either/both of these be accceptable?

Could you please provide me with a proper bidding strategy?

What is your maximum budget? I will also add that HOTWIRE currently has a 3* hotel in the MTE zone for $145/nite which i'm guessing is the Hotel Bedford (Restaurant, Internet). It gets good reviews, and even if a few dollars more than the LIC property, it would be much more convenient being directly in Manhattan.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please click each of these links before replying)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]