Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Streeterville) Hotel Palomar

KatiesMom
By KatiesMom,
in

Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining this thread at this late time, but I have a similar question. I am completely unfamiliar with Chicago. Never been before.

We are planning a trip to see the Red Sox play the Cubs June 15 - 17. We are flying in and will not have a car at this point. We also plan on staying in Chicago a couple more days June 18 and June 19, just to sightsee. Then we plan to rent a car and visit my mother in Wisconsin and fly back home to Connecticut from there.

I'm definitely considering Hotwire, but Priceline only if there are no stinkers in the bunch. Looking for 4*, public transportation from airport to hotel. Hotel near public transportation to go to the ballpark.

I don't even know if that is doable or practical in Chicago. Please help me.

Thanks,

Trish

A couple of thoughts/questions:

I wouldn't recommend staying by Wrigley; there are very few hotels nearby and they are expensive/sold out during the season. It's much better to stay downtown, which is a short "L" trip away - more hotels, generally deeper discounts (although Spring/early Summer are unfortunately usually busy and sometimes expensive.) Everyone takes the "L" to Wrigley - it's easy, cheaper and Wrigley is a block or two from the "L" stop.

The alternative is the North suburbs; these hotels are generally cheaper/quite a bit cheaper than downtown during the busy Summer period and this is a very nice area. However, the trade-off for cheaper rates, is the trip downtown (which isn't terrible, but is a trek.) This would also put you a bit out of the city when you head North towards Wisconsin. There are some sights in the North burbs (Chicago Botanic Garden and Ravinia Outdoor Music Festival) and quite a bit of dining/shopping. It is best to have a car when staying in the 'burbs.

In terms of lesser hotels, there are one or two downtown at the 4* level, but others may be "love or hate" depending on the person. There are many very nice hotels.

What would be your desired budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for your help. I will start searching and will purchase through here.

We are fine with taking public transportation: The "L" no problem.

My preference is to stay somewhere fun where we can enjoy the city, 4*. In addition to baseball, we are museum, garden, historical types. We want to try Chicago pizza, dogs, and Italian beef.

My budget is pretty open but I like to get the most bang for my buck. I enjoy Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, sometimes Sheraton and such. We do have a few Starwood points saved up if we don't go opaque.

Priceline: Is the neighborhood I want Greater Chicago? Are there other neighborhoods to consider? Any stinkers to try to avoid at 4* level?

Hotwire: Is Magnificent Mile area where I should focus? Likewise, any stinkers to avoid?

Thanks!

I would definitely avoid the "Greater Chicago" zone on PRICELINE - that outlying area is definitely not suitable unless you're coming for a convention at McCormick Place.

The two core downtown zones on PRICELINE are the River North-NMA area and Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park zones. On HOTWIRE, zones are Loop, Mag Mile/Streeterville (the South half of the NMA-River North area on PRICELINE) and the NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast area (the top half of the NMA-River North area on PRICELINE.)

When searching on HOTWIRE, are there any listings of interest?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Any stinkers to try to avoid at 4* level?

Hotwire: Likewise, any stinkers to avoid?

I think the way for you to answer this is to go to the hotel lists for both Priceline and Hotwire (top posts in the Illinois area) and see what hotels people are reporting getting for the various possible Chicago zones. Then take these lists of hotels and look in both the Hotel Review area here (way at the bottom of the site), and www.tripadvisor.com.

People have such different perceptions of a "stinker" hotel. See if some particular gripes are also something that would get on your nerves. If there is, then that would be a zone to avoid.

There is one hotel in London about which people love to gripe. I've gotten it several times and gotten along just fine.

Romelle

So far two hotels have caught my eye on Hotwire: 6/15 - 6/19

4* NMA, $162 a night, 95% positive reviews. Looks like it is either the Affinia Chicago or The Drake. I'm guessing it's The Drake because more people report getting that hotel.

Amenities: Boutique, Smoke Free, Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Hi Speed Internet, Tennis, Spa.

4* Mag. Mile, $171 night, 80% positive. Looks like it could be either Hotel Felix, Palomar, or the Sax. However, I am guessing it is NOT The Felix, because when you click on other hotels available The Felix pops up as a named hotel. Does anyone know if a hotel is named, then it is not be one of the opaque ones? Seems like The Sax is won more than the Palomar.

Amenities: Boutique, Smoke Free, Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Hi Speed Internet.

Now I have a new wrinkle. A friend of mine also wants to go and she may have access to her sister's timeshare in Chicago. She's going to check that out. So we'll see how this develops.

Thank you so far for the tips. Open to suggestions.

Please let us know once you know if you'll be going the timeshare route OR need a hotel for this stay, as these may not be the hotels offered once your plans are confirmed (if you even need a hotel at all). As well, if you need a hotel and the additional person is traveling, changing the occupancy may change the results as well.

In regards to your question above, a hotel appearing the 'retail' listings does not exclude it from the 'opaque' listings.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Do expect parking at downtown hotels to run about $35-55 (and higher at a few properties) per night - city lots are around $25 + tax. The 'burb hotels generally offer free parking and are cheaper in terms of hotel rates, but it becomes driving to the nearby Metra station and taking the train in. If you are primarily going to be downtown for 6/15-19, you really don't need a car to get around the city - it really just becomes a steep cost and a hassle. There are public transit options to get to some outlying sights.

For the past few years I have planned baseball road trips that include people who have physical disabilities. Trips to Boston and Baltimore required extensive planning but went very smoothly. The group had a great time. When I decided to check out Chicago this year I didn't expect the same people would want to go (a couple years ago, only my husband and I were willing to make the trek to Toronto). But surprise, once I started planning this trip interest was expressed, so I am thinking the rental car could come in handy. But then again, maybe it wouldn't and we could utilize cabs if public transportation is inconvenient for some members of the group. Still fleshing this out.

Driving in Chicago can certainly be done, but - in terms of just staying in the city itself - it just becomes a real added expense (and parking rates continue to go higher, including one hotel now charging $63 per night. I believe some properties have in/out privs, but rates either way remain high.)

The city itself is relatively compact as big cities go, and there's a great deal of public transit. It's a reasonable trip on the bus to the museum campus and it would be a short car trip, but if you took the car, it would be having to park at the museum campus (which is fairly pricey), then having to find parking in the Loop again. Cabs are relatively plentiful and it would not be a particularly long trip from the Loop to the museum campus.

AaronJB,

Do all/most/any of the L stations have elevators... this may be a factor in KatiesMom's research, although i'll add that taxi may be the best/bettter option. Not only is there parking expense while at the hotel, if you drive to the game, there is a parking expense there as well.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Red Line subway is the subway line that runs throughout the downtown area and heads to areas to the North and South of the city. The accessible stations are noted on the CTA website at this link

Addison is the station next to Wrigley, while Chicago and Grand are stations in the River North-NMA area on PRICELINE; Jackson is a station within the Loop area.

There is also an accessible FAQ (with information regarding busses/trains) at the CTA website here: FAQ

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks some good points there. I think cabbing will work and will be much much cheaper and easier than the expense and hassle of parking a car. So, I'll just need to get a car for when we go to Wisconsin.

This thread maybe should be moved to Hotwire as that's what I am focusing on right now. There is a possibility we'll go Priceline, but not sure.

I've been doing some research and could use your advice.

For 6/14- 6/19/12, five nights

Although I am happy to go 4*, the two being offered in Mag Mile or NM Gold Coast only have 75% and 80% Hotwire rec's and that's a warning bell for me.

The 4.5* level has two interesting offerings, both are pricey:

$210, 4.5*, Magnificent Mile, Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Laundry, Hi Speed Internet, Spa, 90% Hotwire rec, 4.5 out of 5 on TA. This seems to match the James Hotel.

$202, 4.5*, North Michigan Gold Coast, Smoke Free, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business, Hi Speed Internet, 95% Hotwire rec. This seems to match the Omni.

TO those in the know - James or Omni? Are they both convenient to El, and are the areas they are in fun to walk around and sightsee? One better than the other or both good?

A monkey wrench I was considering was The Silversmith (3.5*) which I am finding on Expedia and Hotels for $130 a night. I thought this might be a good fully cancelable back up while I keep checking on Hotwire, and I asked the hotel if they would honor this price but they won't. Both Expedia and Hotels mention this hotel is cancelable with them up to 24 hours of check in. But does that mean if I cancel they hold onto my money and I am obligated to take something else from them, or would they refund my money? I looked through their websites and could not find that answer.

Thanks for your candid opinions. I appreciate them warts and all.

From Expedia;

"If I need to cancel my hotel reservation, will I receive a refund?

You can cancel your hotel reservation through your itinerary on Expedia. Before you make any changes or cancellations, please check the rules and restrictions associated with the hotel and room type booked to determine whether you can receive a refund. The rules and restrictions are located at the bottom of your itinerary.

Expedia does not charge fees for changes or cancellations; however, when the hotel charges such fees in accordance with its own policies, the cost will be passed on to you. Please note that some room types are fully non-refundable from the time they are booked. Additionally, hotels will generally charge a fee if cancellation occurs within 48 to 24 hours of the scheduled arrival. Rules vary by hotel and room type, so it is important to check the rules associated with your booking.

If you have booked a refundable hotel room, we will process your refund on the day of your cancellation. Most credit card companies will post the refund to your account within one to two weeks and to your statement within one to two billing cycles. If you do not see the proper amount on your credit card statement after two billing cycles, call Expedia Customer Support at 1-877-787-5245."

My guess for the 4.5* MM would be the James, while the 4.5* NMA would appear to be a possible match for the Omni.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the timeshare isn't panning out. Prices are so darn high for my travel dates, I'm thinking of going PRICELINE.

That said... this is a five-night stay, long. I want creature comforts, no tiny shoebox boutiques. Also, I would like to be near public transportation to go to Wrigley Field. Looks to me like the best zone to bid on for 4* is the Loop? Seems like the Hyatt or Renaissance may pop up, those should be ok, right? I want to avoid spots like Hotel Felix. Rooms too small.

Any helpful tips before I start bidding? Thanks.

4* NMA of concern in terms of smaller rooms would be the Felix and the Whitehall and Knickerbocker (although the Knickerbocker was given a significant renovation a couple of years ago.)

4* Millennium (known) of concern in terms of small rooms would be the Palmer (although it hasn't been seen lately, but that doesn't mean it can't reappear) and the W City Center/Burnham (both of which haven't been seen as a win in a very long time, but again they could always reappear.) The Hilton Towers and Blackstone Renaissance are also possibilities at the far South end of the zone, which can be rather quiet at night. The Renaissance was won recently, but it is otherwise seen once-in-a-great while. Additionally, while there are a couple of exceptions at each level, I actually like a number of the properties at the 3* and - although you could be upgraded to 4* - 3.5* levels in NMA. The Allerton would be the least appealing at the 3.5* level, and the Holiday Inn at the Mart least appealing at 3* (not that it's not a nice hotel, just that it is not as central/convenient at the SW corner of the zone.)

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]