Priceline Hotel: 2.5* New York City (Central Park South) Wellington Hotel

travelAlot
By travelAlot,
in

Pretty amazing first accepted bid even though it is slow season in mid-winter in New York City. Havent been there since college days, needed to book a cross-country flight soon before rates went up and was kind of overwhelmed on the research aspect -- given the multitude of hotels, the difference between NYOP hotel zones and Hotwire's and PL VP's was quite challenging. I color-coded maps and hotel lists and opaque and VP searches to get a semblence of what's what.

I was set on bidding mid-$70s to $80s for a 3-star in Midtown east, Midtown West, Central Park South, or MSG/Conv Center -- based on Hotwire prices in the mid $90s (appeared to be The Newyorker Ramada). Yesterday an $80 3-star popped up in Hotwire's Midtown central zone; PL VP showed the Wellington (2.5-star) as a likely match, I researched it on tripadvisor (mostly good), determined that it is technically Midtown West near Carnegie Music Hall geographically but a block north (meaning Central Park South).

Had a Bonus offer ($5/night up to $25 for 2 star or higher), so i began at 80% of the Hotwire rate -- $59 plus the $5 bonus ($64 total) -- and waited for a counter-offer/rejection as a starting point. Knowing that Coney Island is only 2.5-star free rebid zone. To my amazement, accepted immediately. LOL maybe I overbid but not by much (hotel is 2.5-star on PL but all other sites have it 3-star which the review seem to validate). $59 for NYC -- at a central location at a fairly decent hotel, wow huh?

Began the bid by linking through your PRICELINE portal. As this is my first NYC attempt (havent been in years) any feedback on my strategy is most welcome.

PS Love the redesigned site with the prepopulated boxes for zones and hotels, way user-friendly! Excellent job!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]