Hotwire Hotel: Toronto DT 4.5* for U$110 6/27-29, what to do?

awebber
By awebber,
in

Hotwire quotes $110 for a 4.5*, I assume from info here that it's the IC on Front street: "Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Spa Services, Business Center." U$110 is about C$135 plus the credit card gouge.

I can get that hotel for C$159 on a government rate (plus taxes of course).

Another site will give me a "4*" hotel for C$139 those nights. "Hotels that we use:

Hilton Toronto, Sutton Place Hotel, Intercontinental Hotel Toronto - Yorkville, Metropolitan Hotel, InterContinental Hotel -Toronto Centre, Le Royal Meridien King Edward , Sheraton Centre Toronto, Westin Harbour Castle". I infer they're offering the IC on Front Street.

Haven't tried Priceline, but another site has reports of U$75 and U$110 for this hotel on these days. The latter price is from a later bid.

Can anyone suggest what I should do? Should I take the government rate so I know I won't end up a taxi or subway ride away? Give Priceline a shot but hold out for <$90? I'm going to the Wellington/John area.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

=aw

I've deleted the link from your post above as 1) it was an incorrect url and 2) the site has been referenced before on this board and labeled as a scam. As we can't prove or disprove this, we prefer to be cautious and not promote them... essentially the site you questioned is re-selling Priceline and Hotwire hotel rooms. The rate you quote above is not a firm offer, as if you look at their terms, "Occaisionally, during busy times, rooms are not available and we will notify you within 4-6 hours."

Seems that even if they could get you a room, it would be mostly at the same price as doing on your own thru Hotwire, so i would first try to beat it using Priceline and if unsuccessful then look towards the Hotwire solution. If you'd like a bidding strategy to try to use Priceline let us know and we will provide one for you to follow.

Let us know what you decide to do and if we can be of any further assistance.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info. I can see how another site might do that. They know (from here and probably elsewhere) what hotels are available on Hotwire, offer for the same price, then try to beat on Priceline?

I guess it couldn't hurt to try Priceline for a 4* though I'd be a little disappointed to end up on Bloor Street or the Harbour Castle.

Thanks for the tip, any advice on bidding strategy? I know free re-bids and stuff.

=andrew

At the 4* level you have nine re-bid zones!

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $56, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $62, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $64, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $67, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85.

I have left off one re-bid zone in case your not successful for that we can re-group and continue to bid, but i think the above has a good change of success.

Any questions let us know.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and tried it but stopped at U$70.

It wasn't worth going higher because I discovered the GOVERNMENT rate for a third day (just decided to add) at the IC on Front (where I assume I'd end up) is $239! So I'd have to move for the third day. I'm going to stay at the Radisson Admiral, I can get one night for 30K points, pay $159 for another, and then take the third at either 60K points or $159 again.

I'll be sure to check in here again the next time I need a place though.

=aw

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]