Priceline Hotel: Trying to book Resort Maui 12/28 - 01/04

yz25yz
By yz25yz,
in

Hello Everyone!

I am new here and need some help for booking for the upcoming Dates - 12/28 -01/04/2012

Started with a bid on Pricline with 180 and went up to 230 to bid for Resort or 4* property in the 2 Zones:

Maui(Kaanapali - Lahaina)

Maui (Wailea - Makena)

What's the best option I have, should I try it after 24 hrs?

Want to stay with the 4*, what a can i do for better biding?

Thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This may be a tough win for your complete stay as it's Winter break for most schools so families go on vacation during this period, as well as it includes the New Year's Eve holiday, for which many hotels will be at or near full capacity on their own and therefore have little reason to offer deep discounts thru the opaque suppliers.

What is the best rate you're able to find for this stay thru conventional booking channels? (try MAPS and HOTELS.com for a rate overview of the area) Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

A quick way to see about splits is to look up individual dates in Hotwire (upper left hand corner on this page), and then group the days into higher ones and lower ones. You can put your date range into Expedia and then look at the individual hotel rates since they post them separately for each day. Or you can get the list of hotels other bidders have won, and go to the individual hotel web sites and look at their rack rates.

When bidding a split situation, I like to first see if I can get a really good deal on the less expensive nights. Then I know how much money I've got left to deal with the more expensive nights. Sometimes I'll have to compromise with a lower star level or someplace a little further out for them.

In any case, do check out Hotwire. It will give you an idea of the most you might have to spend.

Romelle

Compounding the issues for this stay is that the most expensive nite(s) are in the middle of the stay.

Some observation from HOTWIRE:

12/28-1/1 = no 4* or higher hotels

12/28-12/31 = no 4* or higher hotels

12/28-12/30 = no 4* or higher hotels

12/30-1/4 = no 4* or higher hotels

12/31-1/4 = no 4* or higher hotels

1/1-1/4 = 4* hotel for $212/nite

Taking this into consideration, i think there is going to be a decent chance that you're successful for 1/1-1/4, but that 10/28-1/1 will either 1) cost you substantially more, 2) you'll need to lower your star rating, or 3) little availability at almost any price (where a direct purchase becomes worthwhile)

If you're willing to go up to $200 for the 1/1-1/4 leg of this stay, i'd try the following (trying to get more nites than just 1/1-1/4):

At the 4* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Ka'anapali-Lahaina...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Wailea-Makena...

Select 4* Ka'anapali-Lahaina and Wailea-Makena...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $194, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

I would try the above for the following dates:

12/28-1/4

12/29-1/4

12/28-1/3

12/30-1/4

12/28-1/2

12/31-1/4

12/28-1/1

1/1-1/4

I'd star with the above and we'll take it from there.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your help

This did not work, besides there are only two zones with 4* (Ka'anapali-Lahaina & Wailea-Makena)

so how do you add re-bid zone... if tthere are only two - that you listed below?

I did Resort (Ka'anapali-Lahaina) and for re-bid zone I added 4*, please explain.

Reject

I added (Wailea-Makena)

Select 4* Ka'anapali-Lahaina...

Select 4* Wailea-Makena...

Select 4* Ka'anapali-Lahaina and Wailea-Makena...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $194, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to stay in a 3.5 in Wailea/Makena? The Makena Beach Resort has newly remodeled rooms that are easily on par with a 4 star and I've seen it go recently for as low as $130/nt on priceline. Here is their current site promotion for the period you are looking, http://www.makenaresortmaui.com/Accommodations/Packages-Offers.asp#HolidayPromo Its just a thought since it appears the resorts seems to be booked out for your period.

This did not work, besides there are only two zones with 4* (Ka'anapali-Lahaina & Wailea-Makena)

so how do you add re-bid zone...

If you're not familiar with re-bidding please start here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

If you're read this thread and are still confused, try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter MAUI and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Ka'anapali - Lahaina

4-Star Deluxe Best deal

3½-Star Upscale-Plus Best deal

3-Star Upscale Best deal

2½-Star Moderate-Plus Best deal

2-Star Moderate Best deal

1-Star Economy Best deal

Resorts

Kahului

1-Star Economy Best deal

Kihei

3-Star Upscale Best deal

1-Star Economy Best deal

Wailea - Makena

4-Star Deluxe Best deal

3½-Star Upscale-Plus Best deal

3-Star Upscale Best deal

1-Star Economy Best deal

Resorts

yz25yz,

Free rebidding is one of those tricky concepts. Let me offer a simplified version. When it makes sense to you, you'll be ready for the big time.

Take a close look at what you just posted - copied from Priceline. Two of the zones have 4* availability - KL and KM. You've already figured out how to bid in them, but you haven't been successful and you'd like to make more bids in the same 24 hour period......

Ah, those other two zones - Kahului and Kihei - one only goes up to 2* and the other only goes up to 3*. So - if you could bid 4* in them, you wouldn't win anything no matter how high you bid since there are no 4*s there to get. Those are what is referred to as "free re-bids".

Of course you can't start your bidding in them.

When your 24 hour wait is up, try this:

Make one bid, selecting KL and 4*.

If that doesn't win, check (add) KM and make a slightly higher bid. Right on the screen where it tells you - sorry your bid isn't successful, please change something.

If that doesn't win, check (add) one of those two other ones that don't have 4*s (Kahului or Kihei) and make another slightly higher bid. Even if this bid is successful, the only zones in which you can get a hotel are KL and KM, since the other one doesn't have any.

If it isn't successful, now check (add) the second of the two zones that doesn't have 4*s and make another slightly higher bid. Again, if this bid is successful the only zones in which you can get a hotel are the KL and KM.

The above only gives you 4 bids. The process thereuare set out gives you 9 bids. I think if the 4 bid process makes sense to you, then you will be ready for the 9 bid process.

Romelle

I'll repost your list with the highest star rating available in each zone (NOTE: Resorts are higher rated that 4*)...

Ka'anapali - Lahaina

Resorts

Kahului

Kihei

3-Star Upscale Best deal

Wailea - Makena

Resorts

So if you were to bid for a 4* or Resort hotel in the (Ka'anapali - Lahaina) and the (Kihei) zones, and were to win, do you see how your win would have to be in the (Ka'anapali - Lahaina) zone... since Kihei doesn't have any hotels which meet the minimum star rating you selected?

Might be worth your while to try splitting your bid now. Thereuare suggested several ranges a couple of posts back.

I don't know if you are familiar with Priceline's Extend a Bid deal. After a successful bid, one sometimes is offered the right to get some more days. You can extend up to the number of days of the original bid, but only on one side (just before or just after) your bid. If an extension is offered, it sometimes is at the same rate, but may be a higher rate.

If no extension is offered, or you don't like the offered rate, then it is back to bidding the remaining days.

If you do split your bid, and have to bid again for the remaining days, you may well get a different hotel. There is the issue of moving of course, but I like to think of it as just an opportunity to enjoy something different - both hotel and surrounding area.

Especially since you've found nothing while bidding so high, if you were even able to score a few of your nights at lower rates, that would help bring down the overall average.

Also, splitting your bid can let you stay at a higher rated place for the less expensive nights, and then bid a slightly lower star level for the more expensive nights.

Romelle

Here are the 3 1/2* hotels people have reported as wins to betterbidding:

Maui (Ka'anapali - Lahaina)

3.5* Royal Lahaina Resort

Maui (Wailea - Makena)

3.5* Hotel Wailea Diamond Resort Hawaii

3.5* Makena Beach and Golf Resort (previously 4*) Resort Maui Prince Resort

The very first post in this Priceline-Hawaii area has the list of all reported wins. Of course it is always possible to get something not yet reported, but this will give you a good idea of what you might get. You can look up more details on the hotel web sites, Hotel Reviews on this site, and www.tripadvisor.com to help you decide if you want to pursue this star level.

Romelle

The amenities for that Hotwire 4* $212 1/1-1/4 are:

Resort

Beachfront

Fitness Center

Pool

Restaurant

Business Center

Laundry Facilities

High-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Spa

Children's Activity Program

I'm not the expert on these things, but it looks to me like the Hyatt Regency or the Sheraton. The Westin is a lesser possibility, as it hasn't been reported using "Laundry" as an amenity.

Maybe you could look at reviews of these hotels in the Hotel Review area on toward the end of this site and/or www.tripadvisor.com. Or the hotel web sites themselves.

The HOTWIRE link is in the upper left hand corner of this page, if you haven't explored that option yet.

Romelle

I'm curious where the thread starter ended up booking a reservation?

Sometimes these things are like reading a magazine in a Doctor's office waiting room. When you turn to the last page, it is no longer there. Frustrating.

I'm curious too, as I like stories to have endings.

The administrator, thereuare, makes good use of the only weapon at his disposal for getting endings. When people come back for advice on a subsequent trip, he requires them to close an open prior trip discussion first.

It is possible to send a message directly to another member if they are so set up. They get an email telling them they have a personal message on this site. If you'd like to do so, all you have to do is click on their screen name. Then on the next screen select "Send me a message".

Romelle

Lazycash,

You've replied to four different Hawaii threads but started no topic for your own stay... why not start a NEW TOPIC for your trip and we'll try to assist you there; this way the advise will be specific to your particular dates of travel.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please click each of these links before posting)

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]