Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Central Park South) Hudson A Morgans Original

Pitle
By Pitle,
in

Hi,

just won on priceline 2 nights @ W New York (MTE) for 135$ from Dec 18 to Dec 20. Tried to extend the bid for the same price, but I wasn't successful.

For the rest of our stay we'd like to get something with an average of 150$/day at ESB, MTE, MTW, TS. If necessary, we'd split this period again.

If 4* doesn't match with the price, we'd rather go down with the stars and/or add other zones like MSG, Upper East or Chelsea.

By bidding for the whole period (Dec 13 to 18), i wasn't successfull with a maximum of 150$ in ESB, MTE, MTW, TS at 4*-level.

What would you suggest? Splitting the period again (which dates ?), lower the *-level, adding other zones?

Thanks for helping.

Pete

There is a little bit of logic in figuring out where to split bids, a few techniques, but the rest is just trying things.

thereuare mentioned trying to get the largest group of days first, and then deal with the remaining tough ones.

If you try one day at a time via Hotwire and look at your star level and areas, usually you can see the high days and the low days. I like to pin down the low ones first, a bit below my budget. Then I can think about the compromises I need for the more expensive ones - lower star level/further out/find a friend's couch/youth hostel/airport hotel/??.

You can get into Expedia and look at individual hotels - again your star level and areas. Expedia lists the rates of the individual days.

New York has a tourist-weekend/business-weekday pattern, but conferences/events/holidays apply their own patterns on top of that.

I like to pin down the less expensive dates first, a bit below my budget. Then I can think about the compromises I need for the more expensive ones - lower star level/further out/find a friend's couch/youth hostel/airport hotel/??.

It is usually better to include the first day or the last day in any splits, and just move the line back and forth on those middle days. That way you don't get left with having to bid the single days.

Romelle

Based upon current prices i think you'll need to lower your star rating as opposed to adding other zones.

At the 3.5* level, which zone(s) are acceptable? Keep in mind that at 3.5* and under:

MTE-some hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

CPS-has the Hudson Hotel which has notoriously small rooms

--> either of the above may/may not be acceptable based upon your needs.

Other zones typically bid at the 3.5* level:

Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW, TS

Let us know which zones you'd like to bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The 16th is really when rates start to fall off; I do see what appears to be the Flatotel for $169 for 12/16-18 only (which would offer breakfast) on HOTWIRE, but searching for 12/13-18 brings up a rate of $196 for the same property. UES has no higher than 3*, but I wouldn't suggest including it as an intentional zone, given that the result could be pretty high up in the zone (there could be others, but to use an example, the Courtyard Upper East Side.)

Just to confirm, would the Hudson in CPS (seen fairly commonly at the 3.5* level in CPS) be okay? Rooms there are generally around 130-150 sq ft.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

At the 3.5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* ESB, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG, UWS, Chelsea...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB, UWS, Chelsea...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB, UWS, MTW, TS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG, MTE, Chelsea...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB, MTE, Chelsea, TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MSG, UWS, MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB, MTE, MTW, TS, MSG, UWS, Chelsea...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wasn't successful till now, even if I increased my maximum bid on 160$.

Today i made a booking with a special offer at Milford Plaza for 139$...just to have something, if my future bids will fail, too.

I'll cancel this, when i get something at 3,5* level.

I'll keep bidding...

• 1 month later...

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you got this leg of your stay settled and are pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]