Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W New York

inqubus
By inqubus,
in

Hi all,

sorry if my english isn't very clear but i'll do my best :)

i'm looking to go to New York just before the holiday season in december. I want to go from 12/15 till 12/22.

i prefer a 4* hotel. My budget is 150-200$ per night.

i would prefer the theater district but it's not a complete must. If need to travel 5-10 mins by train it's no big deal.

my questions are:

when should i book/search the hotel? asap or can it wait for september/october?

what is the best time (read cheapest time)

is my budget doable for a 4*?

thanks in advance for any feedback

Welcome to BetterBidding!

i would prefer the theater district but it's not a complete must. If need to travel 5-10 mins by train it's no big deal.
Did you want to only bid for Times Square first up to your limit... OR is your goal the least expensive 4* hotel in any of your acceptable zones?
when should i book/search the hotel? asap or can it wait for september/october?
See the related "Bid Early or Close to Check-in" thread in our PRICELINE FAQ. If your plans are firm I would suggest start bidding now, but using the low end of your budget as a top bid... say $150-$160. If accepted then you've got a great deal... if not, you can gradually increase your maximum bid as you get closer to your arrival.

Let us know the above regarding Times Square vs. including other zones too and if you'd like to start bidding now, we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

thanks for the ultrafast reply!

i allready booked my tickets so the plans are firm yes.

regarding to the zone I would try to go for time square first for 160$ max.

if it doesn't work as of september i would expand the zones.

and i could allready start bidding yes. Any help on this one would be great!

thanks,

Tim

I'll comment that you're right on the cusp of extremely high rates and fairly reasonable rates... historically NYC is extremely expensive for the first half of December, then gets very reasonable (although i'd be hesitant to say 'cheap', as it is NYC afterall :) ) for a few days before and after Xmas, then rates jump again for New Years Eve.

Just when the transition of rates goes from high to reasonable is the BIG QUESTION for your dates... if the economy and/or hotel business is slow we can see rates for this stay be quite affordable... if the hotel market is strong you may see rates bey very high (at least for the first few days of this stay). Right now, hoteliers may be pricing hotels hoping for the best.

If you want to try for just the Times Square zone first (see our thoughts on hotels near Times Square), at the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Times Square...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks for the help so far.

just did my bidding but i started at 120$ (it's worth a shot no? :))

bid 120 not accepted added rebid zone

bid 125 not accepted added rebid zone

bid 130 not accepted added rebid zone

bid 135 not accepted added rebid zone

bid 140 not accepted added rebid zone

bid 145 not accepted added rebid zone

going to do this untill july and then going to start at 130 and then do this for a while

if i win something i'll post something in this topic

thanks again for the help

• 3 months later...

Time to bump this again :)

laast 2-3 months i didn't really bid because i thought it was too early to get something for december.

I started again today but only choose the option 5 star.

I went all the way upto 220 dollars a night but no luck. Since the average price is 590 i don't think i will have any luck in the future with those bids :)

So as from tomorrow i'm going to start again with only 4 stars and start bidding at 130 upto 200-220.

looking at this NYC Priceline win i someone got lucky by winning grand hyatt at grand central station so i'm optimistic i will succeed.

offcourse i'll be using the links on top to start my search etc.

if you guys have any additional tips please let me know.

It's difficult to compare to the other MTE 4* win, as those dates are a little further towards Christmas (12/18-24). Additionally, looking at your date/s of travel at regular rates, the problem does appear to be the first 3 days, which appear noticeably more expensive at a number of properties.

Would splitting your stay be an option?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If i understand your post correct you thus far have only bid at the 5* level... no 4* bids.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and TS...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW and CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and TS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and TS and CPS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any question feel free to ask.

BEFORE BIDDING, note that if you are willing to split your stay, i think you can be success for the last 6 nites of your stay for under $200 (perhaps $165-$180) but would then have to be open to the possibility of changing hotels after the first nite of your stay. So if you''re open to the idea of splitting your bid you may want to stop the bidding above at ~$175 or so.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi all,

i already have a forum post open in the priceline section for a bidding strategy but i was also checking hotwire.

I have seen 2 4star properties

first one is at central park area

85% customer satisfaction

amenities: Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center and high speed internet

price: $201 a night

second one is at time square

100% customer satisfaction

amenities: Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center and high speed internet

price: $251 a night

second one is a bit more expensive then my initial budget but could be doable

thanks in advance.

hmm just saw a new hotel on hotwire for $152 in midtown east

amenities are Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Spa Services

90% of the people recommending it

my guess is that it's the Omni Berkshire Hotel, Doubletree Metropolitan or W new York?

mmmcant be dubletree since it's listed 3.5 on this forum.

could it have gone up again?

Since priceline wasn't really working for me i was looking at hotwire for a great deal.

Today (5m ago) i saw again a 4* hotel in MTE for 152 dollars a night.

i took the deal and ended up with the W NEw York hotel.

i'm a happy man :)

going to try to get an upgrade at check in by also mentioning we are there for a special occasion :)

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found something that works for both your needs and budget.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]