Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Miami (Airport MIA) Holiday Inn Express Miami International Airport

optimus11
By optimus11,
in

Hi this is my first time using priceline, im not a US resident but i have shopped using my credit card online, so i hope it works

Im coming to miami my dates are, 23rd dec 2011 to 2nd jan 2012

so thats about 10days

im looking at the following areas:

1. Miami International Airport (MIA) (prefferably)

2.Miami Airport West - Doral

3.Miami Downtown

My budget is around $50-70

Im not to sure about what star rating this price would get me, from reading the board's previous posts, it seems like i can get

a 3*, 31/2* or a 4*

so please can anyone help me out with advise and a strategy

thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

My guess is that you're budget will not be enough for a 4* hotel, but did you want to try for a 4* up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5*, then if rejected try for a 3*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay? As well, are you willing to pay more to be in your first choice of zone vs. your second choice of zone vs. your third choice... OR are you looking for the least expensive hotel in any of these zones at the minimum star level you designate?

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

i am trying to get the least expensive 3* or 3 1/2* within my budget

(i dont really need the 4* anyways, i just wanted to know if it was possible in that budget)

im not willing to pay more for for any of the zones, my budget is firm

but i really would like to get one in MIA area or downtown

my 3rd choice is now doral area.

so do u think its a good idea to bid $50 for a 3 1/2 *?

There aren't any problems with bidding $50 for a 3 1/2*. If it is too low, Priceline will just say "no". And then you can go on and bid the lower star levels.

Your budget is possible, but not a sure thing. Hotwire had a 2 1/2* Miami airport hotel for $68. Hotwire does tend to be a little more expensive than Priceline though.

Do consider as many zones as possible, as that will increase your chances of success.

Romelle

ok so i tried bidding $50 for a 3 1/2 * in MIA area, that was rejected,

then i added a zone Miami Downtown and increase my bid to $55

rejected again

I added Doral Zone, and increased the bid to $57

rejected

added a 3* rating, still bid rejected

I added North Miami and increased the bid to $62

rejected again

I added miami lakes area, increased to $65

rejected

:)

what now???

You can improve upon your bidding strategy, but we first need to clarify your goals for this stay, as your bidding is not consistent with what you say you want...

i am trying to get the least expensive 3* or 3 1/2* within my budget
ok so i tried bidding $50 for a 3 1/2 * in MIA area, that was rejected,

then i added a zone Miami Downtown and increase my bid to $55

I added Doral Zone, and increased the bid to $57

added a 3* rating...

Since you bid 3.5* first, then increased your bid, and then added 3* to the bidding... you're not targeting the lowest price 3* or better for this stay. In other words, let's assume there was a 3* available at $40 and a 3.5* available at $50... you would have been accepted for a 3.5* at $50 without having a chance at the lower priced 3* at $40.
but i really would like to get one in MIA area or downtown

my 3rd choice is now doral area.

To confirm... if a $50 hotel was available in Miami Airport and a $45 hotel available Downtown (or Doral)... you prefer the $45 Doral property over the Airport property?

Please confirm/clarify teh above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

ohhh i see what your saying in the 2nd point

the last point, i would prefer to say in the MIA area, so if its a matter of $5 i would choose the airport property

but the other 2 area are acceptable as well, so if i cant get a 3* or 3 1/2* in the airport area i would still be

happy to take one that is available in the other 2 areas.

ok so help me with a new strategy

It's still not clear what you want from this stay, for us to suggest a bidding strategy we'll need to know...

What do you want to try for first, a 3.5* in the Airport zone OR any 3* or better in the Airport zone? How high are you willing to bid at this star level before adding the other two zones? If bidding at the 3.5* for the airport zone first and are rejected up to your limit, do you then want to try for a 3* in the Airport zone OR a 3.5* in the other two zones?

Please clarify and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

Thanks.

At the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Since it appears you have already bid up to $57 at the 3* level in the Airport zone, i'd try:

Select 3* Airport...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63

If the above is rejected post back and we'll try again in 24 hours up to your $65 limit, as well as then post another strategy should $65 fail. Looking ahead, should $65 be rejected, do you then want to only add Downtown or Doral up to your limit, or is the least expensive in either of these two zones your goal? Did you want to keep the star level at 3* when including either/both of these zones?

Using your ONE re-bid zone at the 3* level...

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $50, if rejected add Miami Airport...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* Doral...

Select 3* Downtown and Doral...

Bid $60, if rejected add Miami Airport...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I don't think it's necessarily the length of your stay, but more likely the dates of your stay...

1) your dates include New Years Eve, which for the most part is a very busy nite for hotels. If hotels think they can sell most of their rooms on their own at full price, there is little reason to offer inventory to third party suppliers at deep discounts. Any hotel that has not given PRICELINE any inventory for even just this one nite is out of the running to accept your bid since PRICELINE needs to have inventory available for each nite of your stay.

2) overall it's a somewhat busy time in the area... lots of families taking vacation while the kids are off from school for winter break, especially those in the Northeast looking for a warm location to thaw out from the colder weather

What are your thoughts going forward... SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, lower star rating, increase budget, consider other zones, etc?

I just looked at one location - MIA airport - on Hotwire. Interesting results.

3* 2.5*

21 82 65

22 82 68

23 78 69

24 78 69

25 82 66

26 82 69

27 82 69

28 82 69

29 82 69

30 78 71

31 86 71

1 ** 83

**no 3* offering, and the 2.5* is much higher than any of the other dates!

It is possible that just having that New Year's Day (1/1-2/1) in your bid is causing the problem.

Priceline tends to be less expensive than Hotwire, but the rate patterns from Hotwire can often give you some insight into Priceline bidding results.

This suggests bidding on Priceline as I spaced it - 21/12-25/12, 25/12-30/12 and 30/12-2/1. Or maybe moving 12/25 into the first group. The last set of dates (30/12-1/2 will likely be more expensive than the other two). You may end up having to bid it separately. Checking your other areas may lead you to a different conclusion, but thought I'd just get your thinking started.

Splitting your bid does give you the risk of getting different hotels for each time span, and having to move. On the other hand, it lets you bid higher star levels for the less expensive nights, and then drop back to lower star levels for the more expensive nights.

Those lower star level hotels are more likely to offer the free breakfast, although they aren't as fancy as the higher star levels.

I'd guess you will feel more comfortable if you just get one batch of dates done. And then deal with the more difficult ones.

Romelle

Yes I was doing some research myself, I also feel that have new yrs included may be causing the problem. I might try to split the days into 2 sections, 23-31/12 and then 31/12- 2/1/12. Is that correct or should I split it another way? Also should my bidding strategy remain the same as the one previously posted? Is breakfast included in amenities of 3* or just 2*?

Breakfast is not necessarily included as an amenity at any star level, but it's more common at the 2.5*/3* level than at the 3.5* and higher star level. However, there are certainly 2.5* and 3* properties which do not offer free breakfast as an amenity.

Assuming you're still willing to pay a little more for a 3* hotel in the Airport zone, i would bid as follows:

Select 3* Airport...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown...

Select 3* Doral...

Select 3* Downtown and Doral...

Bid $60, if rejected add Miami Airport...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

I would try the above for the following date combinations:

12/23-1/2

12/23-1/1

12/24-1/2

12/23-12/31

12/25-1/2

12/23-12/30

12/26-1/2

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I tried the above for the following date combinations:

12/23-1/2 all rejected

12/23-1/1 all rejected

12/23-12/31 all rejected

12/23-12/30 all rejected

i want to make sure i have a hotel for at least the begining of my stay, so thats why i didnt try the other combinations that began in the middle

im a bit discouraged now, whats my other options?

Your choices now:

Keep bidding the same level and $$, hoping something becomes available

Increase the budget

(I think you ruled out other zones, but that would normally be on this list)

Bid the next lower star level

Have you looked at the hotels people have reported winning in the Hotel List at the very beginning of this Priceline - Florida area? Particularly the 2.5* levels. You mentioned you are not from the US. US hotels tend to be rated a little differently than European hotels, if you are familiar with them. A US 3 1/2* hotel might be a European 4* hotel. Similarly, a US 2.5* hotel might be a European 3*. While you are looking at the list, you will note some of them have reviews here. You can click on "review" and link to it. There are also reviews of most US hotels on www.tripadvisor.com.

I recently did a trip to small towns in New Mexico. Some of them only offered 2 and 2 1/2* hotels so that is what I had to bid. They were surprisingly nice.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]