Priceline Hotel: Help for Pre-Cruise hotel in Miami 3/2/2012

chas3
By chas3,
in

On Friday March 2, 2012 we are flying into Ft Lauderdale, renting a car, and driving to Miami where we will stay one night before our cruise.

The car rental is one-way from Ft. Lauderdale and will be returned, the next morning, locally in Miami near the cruise port (not the airport).

Just to have an intial backup plan, I have booked a cancelable resrvation at the Holiday Inn Miami Cruise Port hotel, but at $210+tax for one night it is not cheap.

I think I might want to give Priceline a shot and was looking for recomendations near the cruise port and a bidding strategy. I'm OK with paying $100-$150 (if necessary) for a decent place, but feel that the Holiday Inn is too high. I don't need a palace, but don't want a dump in a bad part of town either.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages.

Rates for these dates are somewhat higher then usual, and it may just be early, but i also found an Art Festival/Show taking place during this nite as as well as a Film Festival; i'm not sure how big either is but these may be a contributing factor to the high rates you're seeing.

Since you'll have a car, which zone(s) are acceptable to you? Downtown is closest to the port, but is the South Beach and/or Miami Beach area acceptable as well? What about the Miami Airport area? If Fort Lauderdale is much cheaper would staying there and driving the next morning an option as well? (although i do favor staying as close to the departure port whenever possible)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll see what your options are.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare, leasa,

Thank you for replying.

My main problem right now is that I'm looking at a map of a place I've never stayed before, not knowing if a location is in a desireable part of town or not.

In looking at the Priceline zone map it appears that zones 6, 12, 14 (Miami Downtown, South Beach Central, South Beach Ocean Dr.) are the closest to the Port of Miami? If these are decent, safe, clean locations I would like to stay in one of those. I don't really want to stay in Lauderdale or near the Miami airport. I'd like to be in an area that has plenty to offer if we walk around.

Leasa can you tell me what you have paid through Priceline for the Intercontinental, how long ago and what time of year?

Chas3

If staying just one nite there often isn't enough time to really enjoy the area... once you land, rent a car, drive from FLL to Miami, check-in to the hotel, get settled, the day is often almost done and it's a relaxing dinner out before calling it a nite. What time do you land?

Most pre-cruisers stay Downtown as it's usally cheaper then South Beach, and as per above, they don't get to utilize the area much. A few years back i stayed at the Hyatt Downtown and while it was a good stay and i'd have no problem returning, i wouldn't describe it as 'plenty to do' if you walk around. However, the bigger issue with your nite above is that rates are high across the board (the more i thought about it some college Spring Breaks could be coming into play)... what is your maximum bid for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Our plane lands at FLL at 10:20AM.

If I could get by with paying under $150 (or less) then I would be pleased. Matter of fact, I would be fine with getting the Holiday Inn at the Port by bidding substantially less than what I am paying now.

Not knowing the area, I am trying to avoid dirty/dangerous parts of town and I think I would like to drive the wife over to the South Beach area (if we're not staying there) to see it.

I'm fine waiting a while to aggressively bid if you think that may be better.

Thanks

I'm not sure if something is happening in there area, but with 5 months to go, rates as high as they are, and you have a back-up reservation... i'd be patient and wait this one out a bit.

Feel free to bump this thread in a 2-3 weeks and we'll have another look at current rates to see if any change.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing for the stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Please also check our Support Page for your hotel direct purchases as we have links there to most of the major online travel agencies and hotel chains... or you also may be interested in our recently updated Pre Cruise Hotels.

Hope you enjoyed your stay and cruise.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]