Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (Downtown-SoHo) Millenium Hilton

rous291977
By rous291977,
in

So, I'm looking for a 4* hotel 10/14-10/18 anywhere in Manhattan. I don't want to stay in Brooklyn. So, leaving that out and considering there are 5 rebid zones at that star level, how should I proceed. I would prefer to spend less than $150/night but I might go as high as $200. I should begin with the zones generally offering the best deals, then work out from there, right? In your experience, which ones are those? Also, how low should I start... $110 or $120? I have seen winning bids for these dates that are around those numbers. Also, would it benefit me to split up the dates, meaning change hotels? I'd be willing to stay for the first two nights in one and two nights in another if it saves me money. It seems that Sunday and Monday night might be won for less money than Friday and Saturday night.

This is a great board here and you all do great work educating people like me. Thank you very much.

Travis

Welcome to BetterBidding and thanks for the compliments on the site :)

Please start by reading your messages.

If you're looking to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID i think 10/14-10/17 and then a solo nite of 10/18 would be the better split, but not sure if you're willing to split 3/1 rather then 2/2. HOWEVER, even if splitting, based upon current prices i don't think your budget will likely be enough for a 4* hotel for these dates. For the Friday-Monday nites i'm guessing you're looking at the $225-$245 area for a 4* hotel.

You have some time so we can try some low probability attempts first if you'd like, but based upon the above let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (we'll then comment on zones)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah, so that's why you want us to use the board to re access Priceline! :) I'll do that.

I'd be willing to split 3/1 if it saves me money, as I only have one bag with me and I can carry it on my back. Since we do have time, I'd like to start low and work my way up as the month progresses. If I can't get a room for under $200, I'll bid 3.5 stars. Thanks again.

Travis

To confirm, you're willing to accept:

CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, HK, MTE, MTW, TS, UWS

How high do you want to bid at this time?

Let us know the above and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, those are the areas. I just considered it and I think that I would be willing to move each night, if it got me into a 4* room each night. It might be kinda fun actually and allow me to see more of the city (I'm thinking of moving there.) So, set my low bid at 130 and my high bid at 190/night for now and see what we get. If you think it would be beneficial to switch hotels each night, then I'll do that.

Travis

Personally i wouldn't advocate changing hotels every nite as i think that will get to be a bit much on a 4 nite stay. There are some who would be willing to do it, but i'm not, as it would detract from my vacation/trip too much. I don't think you will get a 4* hotel for each nite of your stay if you decide to bid each nite individually, but you might be able to get a 4* for at least two nites of your stay (unfortunately it's the middle nites, so it would ultimately mean 4 different hotels). Here is what i'm seeing:

Fri: 4* ~$250... 3.5* ~$200

Sat: HOTWIRE 4* for $220 in ESB zone (likely the Kitano... can try to bid no PRICELINE for lower price if desire, but if unsuccessful, then can 'blend' this deal with Sunday nite below to average less then $200/nite for Sat and Sun nites... i don't suspect this deal will be around too long, imo)

Sun: 4* under $200 (or under $180 as per my Saturday nite comments) shouldn't be a problem

Mon: 4* ~$275... 3.5* ~$225 ... 3* ~$200

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on your success!

As this was posted in the HOTWIRE section of the board, can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page. (if you actually used PRICELINE just let us know and we'll move the thread to that part of the board)

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Ok, so, I received an email from my college friend (who lives in Brooklyn) that I was welcome to stay at his house on Saturday the 15th. Saving me $250... cha-ching. His wedding is on the 16th in Brooklyn. I figured that it would be much better for me to find a hotel room close to the reception, rather than cross the Brooklyn Bridge drunk at 3am. So I bid, on Priceline, $150 for a 4* hotel in Brooklyn. Bid accepted for the Sheraton in Brooklyn! However, now I was forced to split my stay between multiple hotels. I tried Priceline multiple times for all 4* Manhattan bid-zones, from $120 up to $200/night for Friday and Monday (the 14th and 17th,) but no dice. I looked on Hotwire tonight and found a 4* hotel in the downtown, soho, financial district for $179/night. So, I looked on the hotwire hotel list (located as a sticky at the top of the forum topics) and matched the amenities. They were: Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, and High-Speed Internet Access. The only hotel matching was the Millenium Hilton. Cool. I looked it up on Priceline and it turned out to be a 4* as well. Looked at the pictures, decided it would be alright and promptly bid on priceline for a 4* in that district, starting at $155 and increasing my bid by $5, with the understanding that there are 5 rebid zones in this category.

OF COURSE I USED THE PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links EMBEDDED IN THIS WEBSITE IN ORDER TO ACCESS THE SITES BEFORE I BID. (Let's keep some change flowing into these peoples pockets, this website doesn't maintain itself for free, you know.)

However, I could not win a bid on Priceline below the bid on Hotwire. So I bought the hotel on Hotwire and lo and behold it was... the Millenium Hilton! Good enough for me, a $179/night 4* downtown is a great price.

I'll keep you updated on Monday night's successful bid. Good luck.

Travis

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]