Priceline Hotel: 4* London (Kensington-Earls Court) Millennium Gloucester

yukonprince
By yukonprince,
in

If you Google "central london" you will find lots of definitions and maps. I don't think there is one specific definition.

I'd suggest you map the things you want to see and do in London, and then study those Priceline zone maps and see if your choices are favoring a certain zone or a group of zones.

The Priceline zone maps can be zoomed in so you can see actual street names and markings for Underground stations.

To get you started, this site even has one top 10 list marked on a map:

http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/cul...ten-attractions

Romelle

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your options will be limited by your budget... what is your target budget (per nite before fees and taxes) for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You should check how these zones fit with your plans, but the following are frequently bid by board users:

Bloomsbury-Marble Arch

Kensington-Earls Court

Mayfair-Soho

Notting Hill-Bayswater

Let us know which of these, or other zones, you decide are acceptable and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Bloomsbury and Kensington...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Mayfair and Notting Hill...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Mayfair and Kensington...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Bloomsbury and Notting Hill...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Notting Hill and Kensington...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Mayfair and Bloomsbury...

Select 4* Notting Hill and Kensington and Mayfair...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Notting Hill and Kensington and Bloomsbury...

Select 4* Mayfair and Bloomsury and Kensington...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Mayfair and Bloomsury and Notting Hill...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135

We stopped at $135 as HOTWIRE has a 4* property in the Earls Court zone for $135/nite which we'll investigate further should the above be rejected.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck nad let us know how it goes.

If you would like somebody to double check your understanding of just which zones are the free re-bid ones, please post back and list the ones you believe are right.

Romelle

I tried but I do not think I got my rebid zones correct - thank you for asking!

I got stuck at the $100 point and was unable to rebid for 24 hours - not that big a deal as I do not leave until October 20.

As I understand it I will 4* select Mayfair and Kensington @ $105 and add Notting Hill if unsuccesful and bid $110.

If not, close and restart with Bloomsbury and Notting Hill 4* at $105 and add in Kensington....

Is that correct?

In Priceline above (right corner), fill in your dates and London hit "GO".

Check and uncheck the zones one at a time until you find the ones that DO NOT have 4* bidding available. THOSE are your free re-bid zones.

I'm glad you checked back. Please post your conclusions after the above exercise.

Free re-bid zones change from time to time. It is important to check just before you are bidding, rather than relying on an old list. That is why nobody will supply the list, but rather just the technique.

Romelle

PS - Be sure to wait the full 24 hours before trying to bid again (although it is OK to do the above now). If you jump in too early and try to bid, that annoying Priceline clock can reset all over. Then you have to wait another 24 hours.

Hi Romelle...

You are my hero hee, hee!!

Both Wembley and Hammersmith have no 4* hotels at this moment - will re-confirm when I go to bid again later this afternoon.

The zones I want are Bloomsbury, Kensington, Mayfair and Notting Hill.

Question - why does the browser need to be closed each time?

So the plan is:

Select 4* Mayfair and Kensington...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone = Wembley

Bid $110, with both Wembly and Hammersmith

if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Bloomsbury and Notting Hill...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone = Wembley

Bid $110, with Wembley and Hammersmith - if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Notting Hill and Kensington...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone = Wembley

Bid $118, with both Wembley and Hammersmith if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Mayfair and Bloomsbury...

And the same for the ones below....

Select 4* Notting Hill and Kensington and Mayfair...

Select 4* Notting Hill and Kensington and Bloomsbury...

Select 4* Mayfair and Bloomsury and Kensington...

Select 4* Mayfair and Bloomsury and Notting Hill...

Select 4* Bloomsbury, Kensington, Mayfair, Notting Hill...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135

Thank you both for being so patient with me. I have been bidding for about four years now but this makes it much easier and faster!

...Peter

Peter,

Yes, now you've got it!

The browser needs closed so Priceline unchecks all the checked boxes and lets you start with a fresh. Otherwise, as you just add something, all the prior boxes stay checked.

This lets you try all the zones you are considering at EACH bidding level. The guy that figured out the concept is my hero.

Romelle

PS - and I'm looking forward to all your successful bid reports in the future!

Hi Romelle and Admin...

That worked like a charm - - except - no bid was accepted.

I stopped at $130 because Hotwire bas a 4* in Earls Court for $137 and a 3.5* in Nottinghill for $116.

Two questions:

*** I am not going until October 20 so should I wait ??? days and repeat the process? Does availability generally speaking increase nearer the date?

*** Is there a way to find out the names of the Hotwire hotels?

Thank you both for your help so far - really appreciated!

...Peter

Hotwire hotels can often be "de-coded" by looking at the amenities offered. If you post back with the list of amenities (make sure you have them all by clicking something like "to see all .....", the dates you used, and the number of people you used, one of the pros will provide their best guess. Alternatively, you can take a swing at it yourself by looking in the Hotwire area at the London hotels.

Hotwire sometimes is a little more generous with their stars than Priceline is. Maybe a 1/2 star. So comparing offerings is a little tricky.

Hotwire offerings come and go.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to availability increasing or decreasing as the date gets closer. Sometimes people find and book a cancelable back-up reservation, and then they can bid up until the last minute.

Lots of "ifs" for your decision making.

Romelle

This is same as Romelle's approach above, just worded differently and numbered so it's easy to follow:

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'London, England' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Yes, there were two rebid zones = Hammersmith and Wembley that only had 3* hotels or less.

My bidding went well yesterday - no issues except nothing under $130. I did get a message near the end that a $156 hotel was available if I bid I think $30 or something like that extra. I did not do that because in the past I have found hotels become available at only $10 or $15 more.

My plan is to try again Wednesday and Saturday and next Wednesday up to $130 (my departure date is October 20) each time making sure no better deal is on Hotwire. After that I may have to bite the bullet :) ...

... no issues except nothing under $130. I did get a message near the end that a $156 hotel was available...

This would indicate that the 'right' number is between $131 and $156... are you willing to increase your maximum bid towards $156/nite (ie- not bidding $156 right away, but using a strategy to slowly increase along the way... succeeding close to whatever the 'right' number is at this point in time.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you gave it another shot and that it only took a few dollars more than your previous failed bid. We're glad you're pleased with the results and happy to have helped.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]