Hotwire Hotel: 4* Atlanta (Buckhead) 9/24-9/26 $98/per night ID help!

Sarahjmapes
By Sarahjmapes,
in

I'm debating taking advantage of a Hotwire posted ad for $98 a night in a 4 star hotel in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. I will be going to the Fox theatre to see Wicked that weekend as a getaway with my boyfriend.

Ideally, I want to stay at the Intercontinental in Buckhead and understand that it is a high possibility that the rate posted with hot-wire is with that hotel.

My major debating point is this; I have read tons and tons of horror stories of downright poor service being given to those who book from third party companies with these major hotels- has anyone noticed a trend in poor service correlating to use of these sites? Have you been a victim of it yourself? I'm also debating between taking the deal with hot-wire and paying everything else "ala carte" or just breaking down and purchasing a "package" stay from the hotel directly. The package is $244 a night (down $50 from the last time I checked), but includes parking ($20 a day), Internet ($12.50), breakfast for two each day at either the buffett or in-room service (~$20 per person, per day) plus the frilly amenities for a "romance" package- e.g rose petal turn down services, champagne and chocolates, etc etc; all of which could, theoretically be put into place by a well meaning boyfriend, but would still be part of the "experience."

A major point of concern of mine also has to do with the hotel restaurant. The in hotel french restaurant that was initially part of the package has recently closed and is currently being refurbished to be replaced with another restaurant that is not set to open until the day we leave. My assumption is that the "buffet" will not be offered as part of the package once purchased, and that we would have to resort to getting room service, which is all well and good, but they limit what you can order for free with the package deal. It's like, one protein, one starch, coffee and juice for each person. Which, myself not being a small woman, and my boyfriend not being a small eater, would probably find it dissatisfying.

I'm mostly concerned with not getting proper service or being treated poorly because of the means in which I booked my room. I do not want to have to meekly stand by being dissatisfied because beggars can't be choosers. If something is not right, I would hope that it would be fixed instead of my issues being ignored because I got the room at a steal of a rate. I'd be willing, reluctant, but willing to pay more for good service than get a good deal and be miserable the whole time. I'd love some advice.

That being said, the specs of the hot-wire ad is as follows:

4 * Atlanta (Buckhead) hotel for $98 a night between 9/24-9/26.

Smoke free rooms

Fitness center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business center

High-speed internet access

Recommended by 90%

4/5 TripAdvisor score

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Please let us know the amenity icons showing with the listing and we would be happy to take a look and try to ID the property.

In terms of HOTWIRE or PRICELINE, I've never had a bad experience, although there have been cases of it happening. If there is an issue at the hotel level, then I would contact either service. Both services are terrific for those who just need a room and are not looking for upgrades or other special/premium price features.

Additionally, not doing a package frees one up to explore other area options (which very well may be cheaper) for breakfast, although hotel features like internet and parking will still cost.

Those who are looking for an experience to celebrate an occasion and who do want a more personalized experience (upgrades, packages) should go through the hotel, as there is no way to guarantee the hotel will be willing to add part/all of the elements of special packages to a discounted reservation. If you booked via HOTWIRE, there is no guarantee that the hotel will be willing to add some parts of a "romance package" and/or the parts may be more expensive outside of the package (not sure, have not looked.)

However, those who go through the discounted services should expect the same regular room and level of service. Additionally, if you pay for added services beyond the reservation and there is something wrong, then you should expect the same level of service as if you were a regular rate customer who paid for additional services.

Additionally, in terms of the package deal, if the Intercontinental restaurant is closed, you may want to look at packages from other hotels in the area - in terms of a 'romance package', I tend to think that boutique hotels (unfortunately, I see the Palomar Atlanta is no longer a Kimpton property) may be a better choice, as they may be able to offer more personalized service than larger chains.

If you do book directly, please use the site's Intercontinental link (or other regular rate/direct links) in the Support/Travel section.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Additionally, Orbitz has a deal for the Marriott Marquis Atlanta with free breakfast for 2, 2 aquarium tickets (the aquarium is apparently 5 blocks from the hotel) and free valet parking for $179. Wouldn't have the internet or "romantic" elements, but has the core elements (parking, breakfast) as well as aquarium tickets, which appear rather expensive if purchased separately, if I'm looking at the right tickets.

From the pop-up on Orbitz (Aquarium package includes two Adult tickets, breakfast thru Room service or in the Restaurant, and Free valet parking. The Aquarium is about 5 blocks from hotel).

Please use the site's Orbitz link to start your purchases and searches.

The HOTWIRE property above matches previous reports for both the InterContinental and the Westin Buckhead, so either of these would be my best guess for this one, although i think the Westin is the more likely of the two.

I've seen both poor and good service on both hotel direct purchases as well as discounted third party bookings... but when it happens with a 3rd party or discounted booking, it's a lot easier to use that as a 'scapegoat' to explain the bad service. With this noted, there are some hotels/employees which do not treat those who book thru 3rd party/discounted websites as well as those who book direct, but fortunately such a practice is the exception more than the rule (in my experience).

Weighing your optoins:

Romance Package of $244 - $20 (parking) - $12 (internet) - $40 (breakfast for two) = ~$175 room rate

For $75 savings per nite i'd hope for the best in terms of service at the hotel and use that money to do other things to make the weekend special (apply that money towards a really fancy mean, special bottle of wine with dinner, another show/event/attraction, etc, etc)

This is how i would play it, but ultimately it's up to you.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too! (or our Orbitz link if you decide to go that route)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've used both PL and HW a LOT and have never been treated poorly. I have noticed that occasionally I will get one of the smaller/older rooms based on other rooms I see in the same hotel but I think that's to be expected. I won't stay in places lower than 2.5* (I try for no lower than 3* but sometimes doesn't work out). I've never had a problem with poor service, a dirty room, or anything broken in the room.

That said, I'm the kind of person who could honestly care less how I'm treated at the desk (within reason), and I usually opt to not have my room cleaned or sheets changed if I'm only there 2 nights. If you're worried about poor service, I'd just suggest not having any. Honestly -- do you change your sheets at home every night? :)

To me, it's TOTALLY worth a bit of a nose snub upon check-in if it happens, to save the kind of money you're looking at saving.

Just my .02. :) Enjoy your trip.

For $98 this might be the Intercontinental, which I just got today off HOTWIRE for a Labor Day stay in Buckhead. I almost always get the Grand Hyatt though. It's really hard to tell between the Westin and the other two but I think the Grand Hyatt is usually about $10 cheaper .... of course it's just my two cents.... good luck!

And i've stayed a bunch of times in Buckhead w/ hotwire, we are never treated differently. Last time we even upgraded at the Grand Hyatt to a corner King on one of the top floors which was fun, it was HUGE ($20 upgrade). I don't think they treat you differently (personally!) And you save SOO much money! At the Westin we were treated great, at the Grand Hyatt as well and I can let you know after this stay at the Intercontinental :)

We are eating dinner at Canoe which i highly recommend spending that extra $$ on an awesome dinner!!

**edit: i find the valet parking annoying in buckhead. The hotels have parking right behind them (in a deck) and it's usually up to $12 cheaper. And you usually have to wait for the valet. One time we took the courtesy car to the Lenox mall and it would have been easier to just drive ourselves from a self parked car (no waiting, no tipping)....

also, staying at the Marriot near the aquarium is a different experience from Buckhead... i like being able to walk across the street to get coffee or dinner (or down the block a ways)... you can easily drive to anything fun to do while there. I would head for breakfast somewhere other than the hotel and bypass the hotel altogether. If you're not staying in and getting room service, just drive a short ways to a great breakfast spot! There are lots of yummy things to get nearby, or even an under 20-minute drive (unless you are attempting to get somewhere during rush hour i guess...)

Have fun!**

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]