Priceline Hotel: 5* Melbourne (City Centre) Marriott

nycmb404
By nycmb404,
in

I recently bid on priceline for a 5* Sydney hotels in November 2011 starting at $110, increasing bids by $10 a day. There, I ended up with a win at $180. I've been trying the same strategy for Melbourne 5* hotels for 4 nights (Nov. 10 2011 to Nov. 14 2011), most recently rejected at $150. I'll report back on the result, and of course continue using the PRICELINE links on this site to bid.

Most recently rejected at $180. I may end up adding 4* priceline to the mix. Before doing so, I thought I'd get your take on 2 potential hotwire options, also for 11/10/11-11/14/11:

4.5* - Melbourne area hotel

$140

Amenities: Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access

5* - Melbourne area hotel

$204

Amenities: Smoke Free Rooms, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, High Speed Internet Access, Tennis Nearby

Any thoughts on possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

These HOTWIRE properties have not yet been reported to the board.

The amenities for the 4* are quite common so hard to be too confident with any guess, but i think the Marriott, Holiday Inn on Flinders, and Best Wester Atlantis are all likely candidates for this one.

I don't have a guess for the 5* hotel.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you decide to proceed and we'll try to assist further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I've been unsuccessful on Priceline still, most recently rejected for 5* at $180. I noticed another member of the site recently had success around the same dates, bidding on only 1 night of the stay, and then extending it, where possible. Is this something you'd recommend? Might I have have more success trying for 1, 2, or 3, nights, and then trying to extend for a total of 4 nights? If so, what bid would you suggest starting with?

Thanks for your assistance as always.

Might I have have more success trying for 1, 2, or 3, nights, and then trying to extend for a total of 4 nights?
This is a strategy i would only use close to check-in if you're running out of time... not something i would do 3+ months before your arrival. As well, you need to be willing to change hotels since you succeed for part of your stay but then be unable to extend the stay for the additional nites. Also, note that you can only extend the stay for up to the same number of nites as your original bid, so you wouldn't be able to purchase one nite and then add three... you would have to purchase two nites and try to add an additional two nites OR purchase three nites and then try to add an additional one nite.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

So I was finally successful using Priceline at $183/nt, *5, for Nov 10-14 (4 nights). The winner was the Melbourne Marriott. My prior bid was $182, so it looks like $183 was the magic number.

Offer Price:US$183.00

Rooms: 1

Nights: 4

Room Subtotal: US$732.00

Taxes & Fees: US$96.04

Total Charged to Card: US$828.04

I know you can't actually earn Marriott Rewards points for a priceline win at a Marriott, but does anyone know if you can still get free wifi during the stay as a Marriott Rewards member?

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see it didn't take too much more than your original failed bids and hopefully you're pleased with the results.

Whether or not loyalty membership perks are honored on PRICELINE stays is typically hotel specific. I would provide your membership details at check-in and ask that it be entered into the system. If the clerk prefers not to and/or states that you can't get points on a PRICELINE stay, let him/her know that you want credit for any incidentals you charge to the room so would appreciate them entering the number into your account.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]