Hotwire Hotel: 3* Newark (Secaucus-Meadowlands) Sheraton Meadowlands

artiej1120
By artiej1120,
in

Hi there,

New to the boards and to the bidding process so bear with me. I'm looking to stay in Jersey City for the two nights of August 26th and 27th for a weekend trip to NYC. My max bid per night will probably be about $100. Looking for any tips or info on these particular dates, or any winning bids for properties in the area.

Whenever i hear people say "star rating doesn't matter" or "I don't have a budget" i tend to ask further questions as this is seldom the case. Do you really want a 1* hotel and would find it suitable?

My guess is that a 4* may be able to be had for $115/nite... do you want to try for this first OR do you want to try for a lower star rated hotel that is within your true star rating threshold? Are you fine saying anywhere within the shaded boundaries of this zone?

I'll also add that Manhattan rates are not that high for these dates... if you're willing to stay Downtown you may be able to get something around the ~$120 area.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So what do you want to try for first... a 1*, 2*, 2.5*, 3*?? Is $100 your maximum bid? (for whatever star rating you choose?)

Note that this zone doesn't include Liberty State Park... are you actually taking the ferry from Colgate or from Liberty State Park?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So what do you want to try for first... a 1*, 2*, 2.5*, 3*?? Is $100 your maximum bid? (for whatever star rating you choose?)

I'd prefer to stay closest to Liberty State Park or the waterfront, as I'll be taking a ferry from there each day.
Note that this zone doesn't include Liberty State Park... which ferry is it that you are taking?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

"Re-bidding" is adding a zone which you can't win since it only contains star levels lower then the one you're bidding. Given that the Seacaucus-North Bergen area or Meadowlands-Rutherford each contain hotels at 2* or higher, these are not re-bid zones since you could win a hotel in one of these zones, so you don't want to include these unless you're willing to stay in these zones.

The question i think you're asking is if staying in these zones would also be convenient for your plans, and this is difficult to say since you don't really know which pier you're leaving from at the moment. With a car you could always work something out, but taking mass transit from Secaucus/Meadowlands to NYC, then NYC to Battery Park, then Battery Park to Governors Island... that is going to be time consuming (and not too much fun after a long day).

I'm very familiar with this area and while i understand sticking to a budget, at the very least i would first consider you and your friend expanding the budget another $10/nite each and try a bid up to $120 for a 4* hotel in Jersey City. This will almost certainly give you the best location... possible walk to the ferry if it leaves from Newport, Light Rail virtually at your door if it leaves from Liberty State Park, as well as easy access to Manhattan (including Downtown if a ferry is leaving from Battery Park) if you wish to head there before/after the show, or just explore NYC on a non-concert day (if there is one). Parking costs money in the JC area, but on the weekends you can find free parking near the hotel (not sure what time you arrive on Friday). The extra $10 each would be well worth it (imo) should you be successful, which is st ill an unknown as you have a chance at ~$120, but far from a sure thing.

Ultimately it's your stay so you need to be comfortable with whatever area you decide and the cost.

Of the 'known' hotels in the area, the Candlewood Suites is over $200, the Doubletree is sold-out, and the Courtyard is $189/nite... so you're not really looking at a price less than the 4*. As well, these hotels provide very sporadic inventory to PRICELINE, so you can try whatever amount you'd like, but my guess is that you're looking at $100+, possibly/probably more, if there is availability at all.

I have a question on rebidding (I checked the thread on re-bidding but was still unsure, figured I would ask here). If I were to start my bids at the 4 star level, then re-bid at 3 stars, could I then go back to the 4 star level with a re-bid or would I have to wait 24 hours?

When you bid at the 4* level, it actually is 4* and above. So when you bid at the 3* level, that is 3* and above. Whatever you've done at the 3* level has also been done at the 4 and even 5* levels.

You can't "....go back to the 4-star level with a re-bid". You'll have to wait the 24 hours for any 4* bidding of the same Priceline zones and dates.

Romelle

I have a question on rebidding (I checked the thread on If I were to start my bids at the 4 star level, then re-bid at 3 stars, could I then go back to the 4 star level with a re-bid or would I have to wait 24 hours?

Actually, you could:

4* Jersey City

3.5* Jersey City

3* Jersey City

4* Jersey City + re-bid zones

Adding a re-bid zone which you didn't use previously will make it unique and would therefore not be treated as a duplicate bid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please click this PRICELINE link before replying)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]