Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (ESB) 70 Park Avenue Hotel

SillyTrix
By SillyTrix,
in

Hello!

We're looking to spending some days in NYC and have thoroughly read up on how the rebidding zones worked, etc. As of today, I have 5 free re-bid zones (Coney Island, Long Island, Madison Square Gardens Area, Queensborough and Upper East Side)

However, still a bit frazzled about the whole bidding thing .. thus, am 'talking my way through' via this forum. If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know!

Am hoping for any of the 4* hotels in SoHo or Wall Street, or even The Kitano (which won bids according to the calendar) in the Empire State Building area for less than $150/night AND close to subway stations. We've stayed in the Times Square area before and as other people have spoken on this forum, we want to stay away from it!

Are there specific days of the week when Priceline prices drop?

Alright, here's how it'll (hopefully) go:

Select 4* Downtown SoHo Financial District

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone.. and bid $150

If this doesn't work, retry above with 4* Empire State Building?

Sooooo, do you think this is realistic? Thanks in advance! :)

Please follow-up your previous Priceline Las Vegas thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay, then click this PRICELINE link and reply to this thread, we'll then have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Do you have specific needs to stay in the Downtown zone? Assuming ESB is acceptable, i would imagine that other midtown zones (MTE, MTW, CPS) are also acceptable... including more zones will give more hotels the opportunity to accept your bid (which ultimately translates to a better deal for you)

I don't think that dropping the last nite will help you that much. Perhaps SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID between the first two nites and the last two nites will help, but i think you'll still need to include other midtown zones to have the best chance at success, and you may win the first 2 nites within your current budget, but need to increase your budget and/or lower your star rating for the last 2 nites.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Seems like they aren't taking our bids so we're going to move to 3.5*. Now we're thinking of SoHo/Financial, MTE and MSG.

Want to avoid MTW as Yotel is on the list of Priceline hotels for that region, and not fond of staying in that area.

Any particular starting bid point do you guys recommend? Thanks!

No preference on staying in the Downtown area, but we've presumed it to be the 'cheapest' out of ESB/MTE/MTW. Your thoughts?
Downtown is often the least expensive, but not always... better to include all acceptable zones and bid systematically, and let the one with the lowest rate accept your bid.
Want to avoid MTW as Yotel is on the list of Priceline hotels for that region...
This property has never been reported to the board thru 'name your own price', but if the map i'm looking at show the correct location at the corner of 42nd St and Tenth Ave, then this property would be in PRICELINE's MSG zone... not the MTW zone.
Went to $160 today with SoHo/Financial District/ESB/MTE. Got a counter offer of $201 for ESB.
HOTWIRE has a 3.5* hotel in the Chelsea-MSG zone for $158/nite. I'm guessing this is the Doubletree Chelsea, which would only be 3* rated thru PRICELINE, but since you're able to take a guess at the property, and the 85% recommended by HOTWIRE guests and the 4.0/5.0 Tripadvisor rating indicates it's a 'good' property, perhaps this would work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and/or your current game plan and we'll take it from there.

Thank you for your ideas! On Priceline where you can book the hotel directly, Yotel was listed as MTW thus, I thought that would be how they'd list it for name your own price.

For $158 in Chelsea/MSG, we'd rather go a bit higher and stay more central .. does that make sense? I think we're probably willing to go up to $180.

Will think about it some more and as always, appreciate your ideas and will definitely click on your links for bidding.

For $158 in Chelsea/MSG, we'd rather go a bit higher and stay more central .. does that make sense?
It doesn't make sense from the standpoint that earlier you bid Downtown because you thought it would be less expensive then the other areas.

Based upon your previous bidding it would appear that you're looking for price over location... but your last comment suggests that you're looking for location over price (and for the average user, Chelsea is considered more centrally located then Downtown)

Could you better clarify what you're looking for from this stay? What are your plans (in what parts of the city) for this trip?

Yeah, I just realized that I didn't make too much sense.

We like the Downtown SoHo area, ESB and MTE, and are trying to avoid staying in the busy Times Square area. Checked out some reviews on MSG/Chelsea, and wasn't too fond of the area. It's also our anniversary, so am hoping for a nicer 4* hotel.

We are actually going all over the place but mainly shopping in SoHo, Macy's, Century 21, and then of course Broadway/Central Park/Guggeinheim/Discovery TS.

So to confirm, now looking for a 4* hotel in the DT, MTE or ESB zone with a maximum bid of $180? Assuming this is correct...

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* DT and MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* DT, MTE and ESB...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were successful, and at only a few dollars more than your desired budget!

If you like burgers, one of my favorite in the city is right nearby and makes for a very filling lunch or an inexpensive dinner:

Jackson Hole Wyoming on Third Ave at 35th St.

Also, El Rio Grande (37th and Third Ave) has great, but not cheap, frozen margaritas.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]