Priceline Hotel: Confused about bidding for bangkok-pls help

lizzielizzie
By lizzielizzie,
in

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at previous successful bids for Bangkok and trying to work out a strategy. I think the best area to be would be siam square (we'd like 3 nights and to be near the popular tourist areas), and i really like the look of the 4* Marriott in this area which seems to be a likely win-

However sometimes people have got upgraded to the 5* Amari Waterside and people on here don't seem to rate it as high- Is it really that bad? The tripadvisor reviews for the two seem about level

I am more worried about bidding in Bangkok than in other city if i'm honest- the sheer number of hotels scares me. I'm worried i'd end up with something really random no-one had heard of- especially if i'm going to aim for a 4* start rather than a 5* (and I am trying to keep costs low)

Do you guys think this is likely? Do people often end up with something random? and is the Amari that bad if i won that instead of the marriott? i their location similar?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Good morning. :)

The hotels that have been reported in the Siam Square zone are:

Bangkok (Siam Square)

5* Amari Watergate REVIEW

5* Inter-Continental

5* Le Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee

5* Marriott Executive Apartment Mayfair

5* Pullman Bangkok King Power

4* Courtyard Bangkok

4* Holiday Inn REVIEW

There may be others not yet reported or information may have changed since the last report.

Priceline Hotel List

The tripadvisor reviews on the Watergate appear to be quite good. With PRICELINE in general, one has to be willing to accept any hotel that you bid for - if you bid for a 4* in this zone, you have to be willing to accept any 4*, or possibly being upgraded to a 5*.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

There is no guarantee/better odds of a particular property or properties at a certain price point. You have to be willing to accept any hotel at the star rating you bid for or one higher. In general with PRICELINE, the service is about getting a hotel at the lowest price - you have to be flexible about which hotel you get.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

You might look at the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. The Amari is 32 out of 632. It got a 4 1/2 out of 5 with 624 reviews.

The first review here was from somebody who had bid for a 5*. Somehow, I suspect the expectations are different if one bids for and pays for a 5*, as opposed to bidding and paying for a 4* and lucking into a 5*.

I forgot to look at whether the second review was as bid, or an upgrade?

Romelle

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]