Priceline Hotel: Bidding Strategy

KS Uy
By KS Uy,
in

Hi there. I'd like to consult for your advice on how to get a 5* room in Hong Kong.

My order of preference would be WHK, TST, EKH and Central Kowloon. It could also be WHK, TST, Central Kowloon and EHK. I really wanted to stay in WHK but I wouldn't complain if I can get a good deal of a 5* room in TST either.

At how much do I need to bid for a 5* room in Hong Kong? Is $100 a good amount of bid or should it be at least $150+? Travel time is around mid of November 2011.

Please help me if you can. Thanks buddy.

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I'm thinking to book two (2) rooms for the period of November 16-20, 2011. It's not yet fixed but I kinda feel that November is a good time to kickoff Christmas. Please suggest if you think otherwise.

I got a question. Is booking two (2) rooms a wise thing to do when you bid on Priceline? Or is it better to do 2 separate bookings for 1 room each. Please advise.

Thank you so much.

No reasoning behind. I'm just wondering what's the best thing to do. Fyi, I've never done any bidding on Priceline yet that's why I'm basically a newbie here.

Any suggestion as to the amount that I need to bid in order to get a 5* hotel in Hong Kong? Travel is from November 16-20, 2011. Please help. Thank you.

You can, and should, start lower, but i'm guessing you're likely looking closer to $175-$200 for a 5* hotel than you are in the $100-$125 range.

Are your plans firm that you're ready to commit to a non-refundable reservation at this point in time? If so, let us know your maximum bid for this stay and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm doing the hotel booking first then next will be looking for a decent price for airfares & etc once I've found a beautiful place to stay. So yeah, I'm ready to commit to a non-refundable reservation at this time more so if I can get a good deal.

If the range of $100-125 is too low, is there a way to get it for something like $125-150? Oh, by the way, is this basically pretty much the rate for 5* hotels in West Hong Kong Island? Fyi, I'm also cool staying in a 5* hotel in Tsim Tsa Tsui if I can get something cheaper. West HKG or Tsim Tsa Tsui looks like a preferred location in Hong Kong.

Thanks for the assistance.

If you still want and/or are willing to accept West Hong Kong Island then you can/should still include it in your bidding... as 1) you may get lucky and 2) you can use it to increase the number of bids you can make for all zones.

So would you like your first attempt to be for a 5* in WHKI or TST with a $125 maximum bid?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases (and please click this PRICELINE link before replying).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While i don't think $125 will be enough, you can try the following:

At the 5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 5* WHKI...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 5* TST...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 5* WHKI and TST...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you think $125 isn't enough, what do you think will be a good amount to bid?

As per above:

You can, and should, start lower, but i'm guessing you're likely looking closer to $175-$200 for a 5* hotel than you are in the $100-$125 range.
How do I go about this? Do I do this all in one day? Please advise.
Yes, you can make all of these bids in one day... are you familiar with re-bidding? If not, please see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and confirm your FOUR re-bid zones with the board. If you read the previous link and are confused just report back and we'll break it down further for you.

Help to identify which hotel

5* in Kowloon Area, Hong Kong 11/16-11/20

Can anyone help me identify which could be this hotel? 5* in Kowloon Area

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Could it be the Langham Place?

How about this? 4.5* in Kowloon Area

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Spa Services

Guests have access to a spa facility or spa services; an extra charge typically applies.

What could it be? Please help. Thank you.

Thanks angelababy. At first I was thinking to stay in West Hong Kong Island and 2nd choice is TST but then after hearing from someone like you who has previously lived in HK, I guess you just made TST my 1st choice then West HK Island comes next.

By the way, I bid at a max of $140 this morning but all bids still got rejected. Need to get it higher I supposed.

KS Uy,

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread... if you ultimately use HOTWIRE we'll then move this entire thread to that section for the board.

Each of the HOTWIRE hotels above are prices at $200+ but you're only willing to go up to $140 in your PRICELINE bidding... are these hotels you're willing to buy at this time at these prices (or will you continue to bid higher on PRICELINE)??

I will continue to bid higher til I get a 5* room in either TST or WHKI. I just post a question in the Hotwire forum coz I'm thinking maybe it's also a good deal. But I'm leaning more on doing it via Priceline.

My initial max was at $125 for the reason that I saw couple of posts said that they have Conrad Hotel in WHKI at a max bid of $110 earlier this year so I thought I might get the same deal too. I increased it to $140 thinking of the same thing. But as what I've said earlier, I'm going to bid higher until I get it. I just don't want to overypay for something I can get at a lower price you know.

I'm looking at other third party sites and found out the following rates for my travel to Hong Kong on Nov 16-20, 2011.

5* Hotels (based on Expedia, Orbitz & Hotels.com)

Royal Plaza Hotel (Mongkok) - $125

Luxe Manor (TST) - $175

Royal Garden Hotel (Kowloon) - $196

Hotel Icon (TST) - $198

Harbour Grand Kowloon (Kowloon) - $202

Langham Place (Mongkok) - $207

Hotel Nikko (TST) - $218

IC Grand Stanford (TST) - $234

Are any of the hotels above possibly included in Priceline list? I have made a bid of $140 but coudn't get any as of yet. Should I increase my bid and make it higher? If I do that, what could be the hotel(s) that I can possibly get? Will it be something better than the one I've listed above? Any idea?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]