Priceline Hotel: I have a few questions

Halloqueen
By Halloqueen,
in

Hi everyone, I'm a new user but I have been lurking this board for a while, so I'm pretty familiar with things. I'm looking to book a 4* hotel for 2 in NYC. My preferred location is Times Square - Theatre District, then probably MTE/MTW. Before I bid, I have a few questions:

1. When is the best time to bid? Someone suggested bidding very close to the travel dates when hotels are desperate to fill the empty rooms.

2. Can you suggest a bidding strategy? What are the chances of winning a 4 star with a $150 max bid? I know it's possible because looking at the Calendar of Wins, I see that it's been done.

3. I would love to stay 'til Friday, but will leaving on Thursday increase my chances of keeping my bid under $150 since I assume that Friday's are popular days for hotels?

4. When I get to NY, will the hotel need the credit card I used to book the hotel? Because it's actually not my card, it's a relatives who will not be there with us.

Thanks for the help! All suggestions are welcome & appreciated! :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is no clear cut answer as far as when to bid, but to see our thoughts and a discussion on the subject, the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' thread in our PRICELINE FAQ. Regardless of when you think the right time is, you're currently less then 10 days from your check-in, so i think you're plenty close, imo.

Your budget is possible for a 4* but i think your chances are a little under 50/50, so while possible, i'm not overly optimistic.

Are you willing to pay more to be in TS vs. MTE/MTW or is your goal the least expensive in any of these three zones?

Generally speaking, weekend nites in NYC are cheaper then mid-week nites... so i'd certainly try including Friday nite if you'd prefer a longer stay.

You'll need a credit card (or cash deposit) when you check-in to cover any incidentals (meals charged to the room, internet for a fee (if applicable), PPV movies, etc) but it doesn't need to be the same card used to pay for the room.

Let us know regarding the zones (if you want to bid up to your limit for TS before including the other two zones OR if you'd prefer to try for the least expensive of the three) and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well the most important thing is the price tbh. Anywhere in Manhattan would be fine, I'd just prefer to stay in Times Square.

What areas do you think I'll most likely be able to get a 4* for no more than $150, or even less?

It looks like Chelsea has the least median retail price for a 4* star

What areas do you think I'll most likely be able to get a 4* for no more than $150, or even less?

Based upon current prices probably none... it just doesn't appear to be enough for a 4* hotel in NYC for these dates.

If you'd like help with a suggested strategy please list the zones, by PRICELINE name, you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Have you discovered the Calendar of Wins (center of this page) yet? If you haven't, just click on it, then enter your dates and select New York - Priceline. You'll see other bidder's wins for your dates. Also, you can then click on the individual entries in each calendar box and you will be taken to that particular discussion.

It might answer some of your questions and give you some more ideas.

Romelle

I just would like bidding strategy advice
If you'd like help with a suggested strategy please list the zones, by PRICELINE name, you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please provide the information requested and we will provide a strategy for you to follow.

Since you mentioned you like Times Square, what are your thoughts on the Millennium Broadway? (3.5* rated by PRICELINE)

I doubt that $125 will be enough, but if you want to give it a try:

At the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* TS and MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG and Downtown...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG and MTW...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* TS and Downtown...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown and MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG and TS...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown and MTW and TS...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown and MTW and MSG...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown and MTW and TS and MSG...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you! I will try tonight, just curious what does closing the browser then clicking that link to re-access Priceline do as opposed to just re-bidding? :)

The browser closing clears the checked zones and lets you make a new selection. Notice when you come back in, none of the zones you used previously are grayed out.

If you just bid your 4 desired zones, adding one new one in each time, and finally adding in the rebid zone, (Simple Method) you only get a total of 5 bids. And you only get up to $120. But the real problem is that zones added later don't get tested at the lower bid amounts. The way thereuare has suggested, all the zones get tested at all the price levels. With the simple method, the first time you try Zone D you already are at the $115 mark. If it had an offering for $100, you would have overbid by $15.

Simple Method

Bid 1 - Zone A $100

Bid 2 - Zone A + B $105

Bid 3 - Zone A + B + C $110

Bid 4 - Zone A + B + C + D $115

Bid 5 - Zone A + B + C + D + rebid $120

Romelle

The clinking the link part is what gives a tiny bit of funding to this board (upon a successful bid). Ultimately that is what keeps it in existence, helping you and me.

:) it didn't work... I even went up to $145.

I guess I have to stick with my back up which is the Z hotel in LIC, it's a new hotel so hopefully it won't be too bad & getting to & fro the subway will be easy.

There's free breakfast there too. I got it for $112 a night, so I guess I will look on the bright side of this knowing I saved $33 a day haha.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully I'll have better luck with my next trip!

Thanks for the follow-up, but as noted above, i'm not surprised as rates are high for these dates. Unfortunately we haven't seen the big price drop this summer that we have seen i years past.

Glad to see you had a back-up which works for your needs.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]