Priceline Hotel: 3* Niagara on the Lake Shaw Club

Atraveller
By Atraveller,
in

My wife and I have tickets for the Shaw Festival on the Sunday PM and I have been bidding for a 3 * hotel since June 14. From my research, the only 3 * hotels were the White Oaks Conference Centre (which isn't in Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL) at all - but by the QEW) and the Shaw Club Hotel (right across from the Festival Theatre). Curiously, NOTL isn't in the same bidding area as Niagara Falls or St. Catherines. It has its' own bidding area with Lincoln and Grimsby. I know I could get a cheaper 3* in Niagara Falls, but I didn't want to drive that far after the theatre, as we need an early start on Monday AM.

I started at $67 and went as high as $86. I received counteroffers at $75, $76, $78, $80, $83 and $86. Curiously I didn't always get a counteroffer. It seemed to matter if I started the bid all over again, rather than do a rebid directly from their rejected offer screen. Surprisingly the first counteroffer would be for $20 more, but any subsequent counteroffers were for $25 more. I was perplexed why $86 never was accepted, given I went more than half way. Last Saturday, I went in to bid again, and I couldn't even find the White Oaks or the Shaw Club on the PRICELINE "regular" hotel listing. So now I was worried both hotels had withdrawn from PRICELINE. I couldn't find any wins in NOTL on the Better Bidding website.

"Plan B" was always to get a Bed and Breakfast in NOTL. When I finally did the research on what was available, and what my wife would accept, I realized I would have to pay $120 CAN (plus tax) to get the minimum level of acceptable accommodation. So today I upped the ante and bid all the way to $91 and was accepted! Total cost $110.43 US. They also gave me the opportunity to extend my stay at the same rate. So I tried to extend for the Saturday night. But they didn't accept it, which is fine.

The lowest rate on the website for the White Oaks was $139 CAN, plus tax and for the Shaw Club $275 CAN, plus tax. However with less that a month to my arrival, the minimum rate for the White Oaks jumped to $239 CAN, plus tax.

There are a few reviews for the Shaw Club on PRICELINE, most of which comment on (some of) the rooms being small (and only a double). Perhaps I can get lucky and get an upgrade to a King, but I can live with a double for one night at this price.

As always, I used the Better Bidding PRICELINE link. I am deeply grateful for all of the knowledge I have gained from this website, but equally grateful to all of the people who contribute their successful (and unsuccessful) bids.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a nice deal for this property and given the location, it sounds like this will be perfect for your plans! Glad to see you're happy with the outcome and looking forward to your trip.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding and sharing your win, helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay (and the theater).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]