Priceline Hotel: New York 4* - July 29 through July 31 ---- 4 Adults

Super Amjo
By Super Amjo,
in

Hey There -

Just found this awesome site and figured I'd let the experts help out with this one. I'm planning a trip to NY for 07/29 - 07/31 (leaving Sunday afternoon) and want to stay right in Times Square. The regular rates for a 4* are around $300+ so I'd like to go much lower than that.

I am traveling with four people total so do you think I should book the one room and call the hotel to see if I can get a room with 2 beds (I read that's harder to do in NYC) but any advice is appreciated.

I saw a success story of $150 at the W Hotel, I would be totally psyched to get that rate ---- any strategy/plan is welcome as this is my first time ever using Priceline.

Thanks, Super

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy/1 bed; this is particularly true in NYC. Rooms in NYC are generally quite small and rooms with two beds are not the majority. As a result, they often go for a premium. If you were to use PRICELINE, there is a definite risk of only getting one bed and the hotel may not be able and/or willing to offer two beds. HOTWIRE is a better choice, as you can indicate the amount of people in the room and as a result ensure bedding (2 beds or 1 + sofa, etc) for the entire party.

Which zones would be of interest?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

If you search HOTWIRE for quad occupancy does anything appear within your budget?

Other than "substantially less", what is your budget for this stay, as i think i do see some viable options, depending upon your flexibility in terms of price, location and star rating.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd like to pay around $200/4* or 150/3* a night would be great, I've never been to NY so I'm not sure which areas would be close enough to Times Square for a short walk or even if these prices are really reasonable - I'm pretty flexible aside from the distance to walk so any advice would be welcome.

Thank!!

You can get a better deal on PRICELINE, but the trade-off is that the service is less opaque. On PRICELINE, you can bid - for example - for a 4* in the Times Square-Theater District area, but you have to be willing to accept ANY of the possible 4*'s in the zone. On HOTWIRE, it's more expensive, but given the information offered, you may be able to spot a particular property that you'd be more interested in. If one doesn't care about which 4* (for example) they get in a particular zone, then PRICELINE is fine.

Additionally, Joncone, if you need assistance with your stay, please start a new thread. Thanks. :)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'd like to pay around $200/4* or 150/3* a night would be great, I've never been to NY so I'm not sure which areas would be close enough to Times Square for a short walk or even if these prices are really reasonable - I'm pretty flexible aside from the distance to walk so any advice would be welcome.

Thank!!

The issue with PRICELINE and NYC is that if you have four people, you're very likely going to only get one bed. PRICELINE guarantees one bed/double occupancy and probably nowhere is that more true than in NYC.

Additionally, while Times Square is arguably the most popular area, there's so much else to see in NYC that I really wouldn't recommend focusing on TS.

If you do want to stay in TS though, what would be a "reasonable walk" (in terms of time) away from the zone? If you search for four people for NYC for your dates, is there anything showing within your budget range?

Currently your best option/bang for your buck is a 3* appearing on HOTWIRE in the Chelsea-MSG zone with Complimentary Breakfast, Fitness, Business, and Internet, for $159/nite (4 adults)... and the property gets good reviews with a 90% recommendation from previous HOTWIRE guests and a 4.0/5.0 Triadvisor rating.

If correct on this ID, this hotel is located on 29th St, and Times Square starts at 42nd street, so this is about 3/4 of a mile (or ~15 minute walk for the average person). If this is too far for your mom to walk, you are located 2 blocks from Penn Station where you can take a subway to just about anywhere you'd like to go, including Times Square... or you can simply walk a couple of blocks and take the bus. As well, if you don't like either of these options, a cab wouldn't be expensive at all... maybe $6-$8. Given what i'm seeing, this is enough to a deal vs. an other options (i'm not really seeing any other viable options), even if you took 3-4 taxi trips per day, i still think this is cheaper then anything else i'm currently seeing.

Would work for your needs? Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is offered on HOTWIRE...

Please use this HOTWIRE link and if you search for NYC and 4adults/0children do you see a 3* hotel offered in the Chelsea-Madison Square Garden zone for $159/nite with Breakfast, Fitness, Business, and Internet icons? If so, this is the property we're referring to above and my best guess is the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden (thought i mentioned in my post above but i guess i omitted it while typing)

There is no bidding involved, you just click the CONTINUE button (with the price in it) next to this offer and proceed with the purchase.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yes, it appears the price has increased.

Prices move both ways based upon supply and demand... more booking/fewer cancellations then expected the price goes up... fewer bookings/more cancellations then expected then the price goes down. For more on this subject see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

This thread may be of interest to you as well: I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire as it explains the similarities, and differences, between the two services.

Keep us updated as to what you decide to do and if we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]