Priceline Hotel: new York- New Jersey. HELP!

Jennig
By Jennig,
in

Hi Im a long time lurker first time poster.

Anyway Im taking a trip to NYC landing in JFK.

Im driving to Canada and have a fantastic rate with a marriott there so thats sorted. But there is 3 days im in need of a hotel in NY or NJ.

Night of the 12th the day I land arriving into JFK and meeting a friend in the city for dinner with my husband and kid. So ideally somewhere easy to get to would be nice.

Any suggestions hotwire and Priceline both have hotels but my husband is keen on the sights as hes not been *times square, Statue, Empire, WTC*

I know we aren't spending a lot of time to do a lot of things.

Anyway the next is im driving back from Canada on the 18th, and would like to stay maybe in Jersey? I have a friend in Jersey not far from the PATH station but I thougth a night in Jersey and maybe even 18-19th as long as I can travel into the City reasonably.

I figure I rather pay a bit more for a hotel and not so much on transportation costs if that makes sense (I do have a rental car but IMO its not worth driving around NYC!).

Any suggestions?

EDIT TO ADD: I have access to Friends and family for IGH and for Marriott. Has anyone stayed on Longisland? Is it easy communiting Ive only ever stayed in NJ and NYC.

3905 29th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Holiday Inn Long Island City Manhattan View) is the hotel im looking at?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

We'll use this thread for your day of arrival, 7/12... please start a NEW TOPIC for the second leg of your stay.

Note that Long Island is a different place than Long Island City... the latter being close to the Manhattan, the former being where Billy Joel is from and the Hamptons.

I'm not a fan of Long Island City, but for the right price could be worthwhile... what is the rate you're able to get there? (assuming you were looking at this location for July 12)

Also, you mention your husband and a kid... there are three of you? How old is your child?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks the kid is a toddler shares a bed with us just 2 years old. Yes sorry I meant LONG ISLAND CITY! I am looking at the marriott or HI for 129.00 respectivley. I only need to pop into the city that night for dinner

(will start new thread for 2nd leg)

I don't think you're going to do too much better then the LIC rate you have... you could probably get something 2.5*/3* rated in the city for a similar, or slightly higher, rate, but then you'll have also heavier parking costs, tolls, and additional traffic to do deal with (not to mention i don't recommend NYC driving to anyone who is not very comfortable with city driving).

If you were interested in staying directly in the city i think a case could be made for something better, but the purpose of this stay is not to 'see the city' and you're really just passing thru, i'd stick with your rates above. You could try to beat the rate with PRICELINE, but then your actual proximity to the subway wouldn't be known, and with a 2 year old in tow, i would stick with what you have, unless you have other thoughts as to why you shouldn't.

One other option... not sure of your route to Canada the following nite, but if you wanted to stay on the Jersey side this nite you could look at an area like Secaucus which would provide free parking and you'd commute by bus into the city. This might not be worthwhile from Long Island City if you didn't need to cut thru the city the following day to resume your trip towards Canada... but if you need to go thru the city anyway, then it would come down to what time your plane arrives and whether you want to cut thru the city that day OR do it the following morning.

Let us know your thoughts and if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]